Search

Plays & Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 09:18 AM
ERM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plays & Tickets

I'm planning a trip to NY from April 7-11. I learned about TKTS from this website. Are the lines long for tickets and worth buying when we get there, or would it be wiser to buy beforehand? Any really good plays you would suggest not missing?
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 09:29 AM

I'm sure some of the resident fodorite experts will chime in on which shows you should purchase ahead and which you can wait on. I just want to mention the south seaport tkts booth location since most people seem to focus on the times square location. I have used this location twice and there were only a few people in line each time. I have seen MUCH longer lines at the Times Square location. Also, this location sells matinee (not evening) tickets the day before the show ... times square location sells them only day of the show. If your interested in matinee tkts this lets you plan ahead at least a day.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:46 AM

There are several websites (including www.playbill.com) where you can buy tickets at a discount in advance. The prices are as low as at TKTS, but the advantages are that you don't have to wait in line and you can get them in advance.
Before recommending anything, the usual questions: Why kind of shows do you prefer? What have you seen that you've liked?
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 04:18 PM

If you want tickets to a show that isn't sold at TKTS, you will save $ if you buy at the box office where there is no service fee. The box office can give you more complete info about how good certain seats are, what the sight lines are, etc. Also, you can get savings vouchers at the info office near Times Square. Hairspray, which is a real hoot of a musical isn't available at TKTS. There is a lottery for $25 tickets each night. It takes showing up at 5 to put your name in and the drawing is at 5:30. You have to make your decisions based on whether you have more time or money. Carry around a map of the theaters and a description of the plays so you'll make an informed choice.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 04:49 PM

MacNaughton's suggestion of dealing with the box offices directly is a good one, but it is generally only good for New Yorkers. You can't call and get tickets from a box office in NY, you have to be there in person. And when it is a show that is a hit without discount tickets available through the various discount sites, then the chances of getting something last minute at the box office are slim -- but not totally impossible. I agree that if you have specific hits you want to see, don't count on discounts, order as soon as you can at full price for best seats (Ticketmaster or Telecharge, www.playbill.com will tell you which). Otherwise be sure to look at the advance discounts available through www.playbill.com, www.theatremania.com, or www.broadwaybox.com

I can't possibly answer your question regarding plays not worth missing. Are you looking for musicals, comedies, dramas, cutting edge off-Broadway stuff? What?
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 05:51 PM

I found the Times Square TKTS lines to be long on Saturday morning. Wed and Thurs afternoons weren't bad. I didn't stand in line Friday because we had preordered tickets for something we really wanted to see. If you're willing to take potluck, there are some real bargains to be had.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 06:43 PM
GoTravel

April 7-11th is Easter weekend and the city will be packed. Instead of wasting time in the TKTS line, and who knows what kind of availability they will have, I would take Howards advice. Buy advanced discount tickets.

I'm sure the more popular plays (Hairspry, Producers, Mama Mia, Lion King, etc) have long since been sold out.

Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:57 PM

Just an option? I am a frequent visitor, 4 trips/year. So I am VERY flexable on what I see and have seen plenty. But I have gone about 7:30pm and have been lucky many times to get late released seats and only a short time invested. If you are flexable this is a good option. But if you want plans in place keep an eye out at Playbill and broadwaybox for offerings and purchase ahead. Also isn't the Hairspray lottery only for first row seats?? This is offered at many theaters but the seats may not be the best views.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 07:08 AM

The fact that you are coming on Easter weekend makes a difference. Definitely get tickets in advance--whether full price or at a discount.
While you may luck out following BudgetQueen's advice by going to the TKTS booth at 7:30, I know that I wouldn't chance it on the possibility of a last-minute ticket if I wanted to go to the theater on a visit.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 08:22 AM

The south street seaport line is much better and you can purchase matinee tickets the day before at that location. I've gone down there at 3 in the afternoon, no lines at all. When it opens (I think noon), it's probably a 1/2 hour wait. The times sq TKTS always has a long line, except towards the end of the day, when only a handful of choices will be left.