cheap Phantom tickets

Aug 26th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

cheap Phantom tickets

Have been to NY several times, but have never seen this long running show. The cheapest tickets I've seen are $97 and tend to be right or left orchestra, next to the wall. Figure they are left over due to poor visibility? The site also says beginning row Q, you will miss some of the off stage action-is this due to the mezzanine overhang?
Am I likely to get good tickets the day of at a TKTS or other outlet?

Thanks!
Aug 26th, 2012, 04:24 PM

Depends on the time of year and the day. If you look at the TKTS booth website it will tell you if they have had Phantom tickets recently. But - if you wait until holiday season all bets are off. (And I think $97 may well be a discounted price.)
Aug 26th, 2012, 09:58 PM

http://www.broadwaybox.com/discounts/27649.aspx
Aug 27th, 2012, 04:52 AM

$97 is either 25% or 30% off. You can almost always get Phantom tickets at some kind of discount, and as nytraveler points out, what you get at TKTS depends entirely on what's available. But typically Broadway shows (all Broadway shows) only offer coupons for discounted tickets in less than desirable locations, keeping the best seats for tourists who are willing to pay full price, and there are so many tourists now that many are. Thus, your dilemma. But discount tickets, while on the sides, are certainly not always next to the wall. And you can see exactly where your tickets are when you buy them online, when you have the option to search for better seats on a different day. I'd suggest you use a discount code and do that rather than waiting. But you will likely get a better discount at TKTS.
Aug 27th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. The discounted tickets I've seen are 9 seats from the aisle and are on the far left or far right of the rows. The regular priced tickets are $137. I'm interested in saving the money, but not if the seats are poor. They are available from Broadwaybox.com.
Aug 27th, 2012, 06:48 AM

Well - in that case you're already seeing the discounted tickets there are in advance. As noted - if you wait and go to TKTS you may get a lower price - or not. And you may get better tickets - or not.

Since you are looking for a specific show rather than just discounts in general I would buy in advance.
Aug 27th, 2012, 08:25 AM

You either get prime seats, or you get less than prime seats at a discount. That's the way it goes. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with seats on the side depending on the theater. I have seats on the far-right side of the American Airlines theater, and they are just fine. No sightline problems whatsoever.

The difference between buying the tickets in advance or at TKTS is that you will know beforehand and can make an informed decision about the location. At TKTS, while you'll be told the location, you won't have any other options. THe tickets that are available on the same day are the only ones there are.

If you are buying multiple tickets, you should not expect to get prime center-orchestra seats before Row M. It's extremely unlikely. If you are buying a single ticket (sometimes two), anything can happen.