Discounted broadway tickets -- question about TKTS line

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 09:52 PM
walera

Hi --
I'm planning an October trip to NYC and would like discounted broadway tickets. If I don't buy in advance through playbill.com, I assume TKTS is my best bet. What's the best time to get in line -- if I get to the Duffy Square location at 5 or 6 pm, how long is the typical wait? Also -- does anyone have experience with the new location in South Street Seaport? -- are the lines shorter there? I'd be happy with 42nd St. or Chicago. Would love to see Hairspray, but I assume tix are expensive (no discounts) and hard to come by.
Thanks!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 04:18 AM
Flynn

The TKTS booth at South Street Seaport is virtually undiscovered and hardly any lines when I was there.

The uptown location at 5-6 pm has long lines of people but you can check the availability board first to see if you want to wait.

Also check Theatermania.com and Broadwaybox.com for discounted tix. Forget about Hairspray - it's a huge hit.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 05:13 AM
Judy

Unless things have changed, my understanding is that the South Street Seaport location is for purchasing tickets one day in advance as opposed to the same day.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Jeanne

At the South Street Seaport TKTS booth, you must buy matinee tickets the day before, but tickets for evening performances are sold on the day of performance. They sell the same tickets as the downtown location because everything's on a computerized system.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:33 AM
me

The midtown TKTS booth wait generally is at least 1 hour. The downtown booth always was a shorter line even before 9/11, and, as already said, it sells day-of for evening shows and day prior for matinees. If you do it midtown, I suggest you get there about 1/2 before they start selling tickets. When the booth opens, the line moves rather quickly. CHicago and 42nd St would definitely be available. Another advance sale discount sight is hitshowclub.com.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 10:43 PM
Diana

There is a big NYC tourist center across the street (east side) from the TKTS booth. They have discount tickets there which you can exchange directly at the box office without waiting in the TKTS line at all. Also, I have gone to the TKTS line as late as 7 pm and gotten good tickets with virtually no wait at all.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:33 AM
me

The tourist center diane is referring offers the same discounts as the website www.hitshowclub.com.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Philip

The website below gives a list of what has been showing up on TKTS. You may want to monitor it for a few days to make an educated guess at what your choices will be.

http://newyork.citysearch.com/feature/34843/