tickets for shows

Sep 1st, 2008, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

tickets for shows

We will be in NYC from Sept 11 to 18.
My fiancee and I would like to see a show but do not want to waste time in a line for same day tickets.
But, on the other hand would like best prices possible.
We are still not certain which show we want to see but also need info. on the diferent sites to go to to get some kind of discounts.
Playbill and broadway seem to offer this but I am confused as to how this works.
Do I just put in what I would like to see and see if I can get a dicounted show. Is this the best way to go about getting tickets? Thanks for any help.
Sep 1st, 2008, 11:06 AM

Do a search for discounted Broadway tickets and you will see many posts on this subject. My favorite is www.broadwaybox.com. Also try the TKTS booth at the South Street Seaport location. You won't have to wait long there. At this location, though, you can only get matinee tickets for the next day.
Sep 1st, 2008, 11:13 AM

Check out ebay for tickets. Sometimes last minute tickets are low, due to people trying to get rid of their tickets.

Also TKTS has 3 locations...Time Square, South ST Seaport and downtown Brooklyn. The Brooklyn location is the only one that accepts credit cards.

I agree with lyban, broadwaybox.com is great, and I have used it to see shows.

Andy
travelbyandy.com
Sep 1st, 2008, 11:15 AM

TKTS at the South STreet SEaport is great for tickets to THAT night's performances, and they also offer matinee (Times Square does not have those tickets) tickets on Tuesday for Wednesday for example.

The booth opens early in the around 10am, and the line is usually very short and moves quickly.

The choices are posted on a board so choose what you want to see, go in to the window and ask for best tickets to that show.

You might try www.tkts.com closer to your travel to see what tickets have been available.

After you get your tickets, walk up Water ST (turn right) walk up under the bridge and walk up about 10 blocks to Chinatown for Dim Sum.

Have a GREAT time while you are here.
Sep 1st, 2008, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the replies. I will try these suggestions.
Sep 1st, 2008, 05:22 PM

You need to register or 'join' Playbill.com online to get their discounts. After registering, click on 'Discounts' on left side of screen (it's above where it says Broadway, Off B'way, etc.). Then you will see what is being discounted and you can make your purchases online. You can see what seats you will be getting. It's a very simple website to navigate.
Sep 2nd, 2008, 03:53 AM

check out www.travelzoo.com and look up NYC. They often have links to where you can get discount tickets. We got tix for legally blonde last year through this and the tickets were very discounted.