Upper East Side question

Search

Upper East Side question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upper East Side question

I am moving back to NYC this summer after being away several years. The 2 locations I am considering moving to are both upper east side with similiar buildings and prices. I was wondering which location is nicer, safer, more fun, etc. 90th and 1st or 97th and madison?
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 07:19 AM

97th and Madison is much more convenient to parks and subways.
I prefer that area but they both have their pluses.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 07:24 AM

The Madison Avenue one is better for transportation and access to the Park. It is close to Mt. Sinai Hospital. Both are safe. First and 90th is a little dreary in my opinion although there are lots of bars and restaurants nearby. There are also a few housing projects a bit further north along First.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 07:26 AM

Both are a little dicey in my opinion. 90th street is fine (lived there myself), but the further east you go, the less nice it is (until you get to East End and Carl Shurz Park). You will be near the Vinegar Factory, but not much else. It is also a long walk to the subway.

97th & Madison is, as hellokittie said, much closer to subway and park, but is very near Mt. Sinai and several housing projects. I would think the area will be noisy (due to the hospital).
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 07:27 AM

Sorry, looks like eskrunchy and I were posting at the same time! I should also add that the 97th street location doesn't have much in the way of nice supermarkets nearby. There are some markets, but they aren't that nice.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 07:33 AM

"Dicey"? Maybe 10-15 years ago, but, today, both locations are perfectly safe.

A couple of new wine bars have opened in the high 80's/low 90's in the past months, as well as the well-reviewed Cafe d'Alsace on the corner of 88th & 2nd Ave, so the area around 90th & 1st is definitely in a growth phase. And there are several convenient supermarket options.

The subway line runs down Lexington Avenue -- you can check out a map to see how far you'll need to walk from each location. Note that the 86th Street stop has express trains -- very convenient if you work, say, south of 42nd Street.

Good luck!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys-sounds like both are safe- I'll be working at Sinia so I suppose 97th is more convenient. Its just that I remember from years back as a general rule above 90th was shady below was nice.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 08:47 AM

That "general rule" is long gone, thankfully.

Yes, if you'll be walking to work at Sinai, certainly the closer the beter.

Unfortunately, perception often trumps reality -- when some people see residents with brown skin, they assume an area isn't safe, which is obviously not the case.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 09:03 AM

Bottom line, Madison location is nicer, more convenient to the park and subway but probably not as convenient for food shoppping, bars, restaurants etc. But if you're working at the hospital, there is no choice imo. Go with Madison.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 09:32 AM

Mclaurie is right that if you're working at Mt. Sinai, the Madison location is the better choice.

Gekko -- I hope you are not suggesting that I made the type of racist assumption that you describe in your post. I certainly did not. I use the word "dicey" because the 97th and Madison location is adjacent to the hospital (which I've visited on a number of occasions and which gets all kinds of visitors -- savory and unsavory -- at all hours of the day and night) and is also very near to several housing projects. I have shopped for apts in that neighborhood and, while it has gentrified somewhat, the presence of a large public hospital and housing projects means that it may be in what what you euphemistically refer to as a "growth phase," but will never be that desirable to me.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Neopolitan

Rule # 1:
Make a negative comment about anything, and someone will always be there to turn it into a race issue.

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Neither location is ideal.

97th St has traffic at all hours because it's the entrance to the transverse through the Park. Also - not the greatest in terms of restaurants, other local type stores - and does tend to be dominated by Mt. Sinai.

90th and 1st is semi no-man's land - too far east and not near any subways. There are a lot of newer buildings there that have had to lower the rents because the location is inconvenient. (I have a friend at first and 93 and she HATES it - but had moved from the west side - where everything is much closer. But I know the east side is less expensive at this point.)

Both are perfectly safe - and OK if you're getting a deal on the rent.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:29 AM

Listen, this guy is working at Mt SInai which is further uptown than 97th st and as a doctor he will be interacting with poor people so he better not be a snob!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:41 PM

Imagine 90th and first in the winter walking to the subway. When I met my husband he was in no-mans land on 73rd btw york and first. Brrr in the winter.

People will say upper east is now lovely until 96th street. so it's just one block off of that...
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 05:36 AM
GoTravel

I really like the area around 90th and First. Lots of dining options.