Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC: Lower Midtown or Upper East Side: Is there much of a difference?

Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. We're in the midst of planning a trip to NYC this summer in July and have narrowed down our choice of places to stay to one in Lower Midtown around 41st/Madison at the Library Hotel and the Upper East Side (59th/Park)at 1871 House.
Just curious what the difference is, if any, between these two areas since I know they are not that far from each other. We are looking for a neighbourhood to stay in that is close to Central Park but is also walking distance to local restaurants and some shops. More of a neighbourhood feel, I guess.
Is there much of a difference between these two areas?
Thanks very much,
CC
P.S. If anyone has feedback on the places we are looking at to stay, feel free to offer it!
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:12 AM

Well, the 41st and Madison location would put you right off of Times Square, for one thing. The 59th and Park location should be considerably more genteel, and certainly a lot closer to Central Park. I think you still have to go just a bit farther uptown for the "real" UES Neighborhood feel. The 1871 House location would be my preference, but I don't have any insight into either property (I usually stay in hotels around my firm's Lexington and 52nd St branch office).
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:19 AM

I think most New Yorkers would consider 59th and Park to still be Midtown. But, I digress.

In terms of neighborhood feel, I'd say that neither area is great for that. Certainly from each, you could walk several blocks and be in more residential areas, versus the more commercial/office building type environments near the hotels. That said, no area in Manhattan is really all that far from any other so it's fairly easy to get from one part of town to another.

Based on your desire to be near the Park and the fact that I think the area in the East 50's between say 50th and 57th around 2nd Avenue is probably a bit better than 3rd Avenue in the high 30's for "neighborhood" places, I'd probably opt for the 59th Street locale.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:23 AM

I'm not familiar with either property, but if you are specifically looking to be close to Central Park, there is no choice -- that would be the 59th and Park one. I don't call that upper East side though, and it really isn't that much a "neighborhood" to me either, but there are still lots of restaurants in walking distance (where in NYC aren't there lots?) Actually I'd think the 41st and Madison is closer to a "neighborhood" feel, especially just slightly south and east from there.
Maybe flip a coin?
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 09:02 AM

Both are good areas, both are convenient areas. I'd lean towards the 59th and Park location only because I prefer the dining options in that area.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 10:01 AM

First, the 1871 House is neither on 59th st or Park Ave. It's at 130 e 62 st which is b/w Park & Lexington. This is the beginning of the upper east side but still close to midtown, so while it is close to Central Park, it won't have as much of a neighborhood feeling as other locations. The Library will have even less as it's not really a residential area at all. Because of the setup of the 1871 House, you will feel more like you live in NYC but I would wonder about the a/c there. I think they may only have window units which can be very loud. Check reviews on tripadvisor from summer months.

If you want a hotel near the park in a residential area I would consider the upper west side (the Beacon, the Milburn are all suites with kitchens or the Lucerne). There is also an apt building under yourstay.com on west 73 st that has short term rentals.

Another option is the Surrey Hotel on the upper east side just off Fifth Ave., all suites with kitchens but may be too pricey.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Well, now I know that one of the options isn't technically upper east side! Of course, I should have known that it would end up that both neighbourhoods are good options which is good to hear..although the choice isn't any easier. I'll be curious to hear some more thoughts/replies...both of these places are on our list because they each have some outdoor space..if anyone else knows of any BB's/hotels with outdoor space in these areas, feel free to add in your two cents!
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 10:54 AM

My recommendation about dining remains the same, even though the location has "moved" four blocks away!
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 11:02 AM

To be accurate :

There is no such place as lower midtown - and if there were - 41st street would't be it (midtown runs from 34th - or arguably 23rd st to 59th street - the south side of Central Park)

And as you have found out 59th isn;t upper east side.

If you want a neighborhood feel you really will need to get out of midtown - this is primarily a business district.

For residential near Central Park you need either upper east side or upper west side. The former is more traditional, the latter a teeny bit more artsy/diverse - although not nearly as trendy as downtown. Both have access to Central Park and some major museums - and easy subway access to the rest of Manhattan.

The Lucerne always seems to be a big hit on the west side - and has a great location. The east side has fewer moderate choices - and one good Priceline choice - the Stanhope - which had an outdoor cafe - has just closed (becoming condos). I don;t have any personal expoerience at other hotels on the UES.

Hope this helps clarify the neighborhoods a little.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 11:51 AM

Just a heads up if you're looking for outdoor space for smoking, forget the 1871 House. If it's for sunning, remember it can get very hot in July the higher up you are. You will find many people sunning themselves in Central Park though on blankets and on chairs.

I gave you some thoughts on hotels with terraces on the other thread you started. Another hotel I found that claims to have some suites with terraces is the Warwick.