Decent Hotel in Kauai for $200/night?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why can't I seem to find a decent hotel for $200/night in Kauai???? Every time I see something "interesting", I'll check out Tripadvisor, and someone has had a "horrible" experience there.... My budget is only $2500 total for air & hotel, and with flights costing about $1000 for 2 people, all I have left in my budget is $1500 for hotel for 7 nights....

Can you please give me your picks & recs for Kauai that would be $200/night (maybe as high as $225/night)?
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:02 AM
koa

List the hotels that you were looking at and see what kind of comments you get from people in this forum. Some people have "horrible experiences" at even the best hotels. It all depends on expectations and sometimes some people just have bad luck on their trips.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:24 AM

We were able to get the Hanalei Bay Resort and Sheraton Kauai using priceline last year. We enjoyed our stay at both, but preferred the Sheraton Kauai at Poipu. I think we bid $90/night, we were traveling off season however, and the hotel does charge a resort fee that includes a buffet breakfast, mai tai hour, and free internet access. Take a look at biddingfortravel.com for priceline bidding help. Otherwise, I'd look into a condo http://www.grantham-resorts.com/rese...dos_rates.html. We stayed at the Nihi Kai back in 2000, but they are supposed to have great deals at the Waikomo Stram Villas.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Sheraton Kauai

Radisson Kauai

Aston Waimea Plantation Cottages
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:50 AM

Ditto the Priceline suggestion, and you should be able to do better than $225/nt. The Priceline hotels are Resort (on beach) Marriott and Hanalei Bay hotel, 3* Radisson, Sheraton, and kiahuna Plantation. Again, this is all infor from Biddingfortravel. The resorts come up at around $140/nt and the 3* around $100/nt.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:09 AM

A few years ago we stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree, and while it wasn't luxurious, it was clean and centrally located. I'd go back there any time. Priceline could probably get you some good deals though too.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:19 AM

I stayed at Kiahuna Plantation, making reservations directly with the condo owner: http://www.kiahunakauai.com/ I paid $175/night, so I don't know what this years price is. Email Linda (tell her I said hello!).

You can read my review: http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/hawaiihotels.html

Monica
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:21 AM

Oops, here's Lindas email [email protected]

Monica
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:54 AM

There are numerous cottage and condo rentals on Kauai for well under $1500.00 a week. Try kauaivacationrentals.com, napali properties, or anini aloha for a great selection in all price ranges. If you are set on a hotel then I would do the Sheraton. The garden view rooms usually run around $199 and if you use priceline you could do better than that.
-Bill
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:53 PM

There's a new Courtyard by Marriott opening up in February. You can go to the Marriott site to check out places on line. Check out this thread.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34547601
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 04:20 PM
iceeu2

Simone...check out summitpacific.com
I just looked today and they have a lot of great places for less than $200/night. It is kind of similar to vrbo...just a lot fewer listings.

The new Courtyard is not letting you click on availability for some reason right now. I guess you have to call.

Also, go to wizardpub.com and click on Kauai and check out all of the listings for the hotels. The part where you don't have to have a password and you can go directly to the hotel's website.

Of course, as other's have mentioned..priceline may be the way to go. If you do, be sure to do your research first on biddingfortravel.com

You will find something great.....130 more days until we are there!!

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 04:29 PM

You can get a great condo for well under $200/nt on all parts of the island, and you can save a lot of money cooking meals instead of eating out (which you may tire of quickly, as we do). You usually get more space in the room, and most have a pool. The one thing I miss in a condo is being able to go downstairs in the evening to enjoy a drink with a view in a pretty, bustling atmosphere, but we also love sitting on our lanai having a drink in the evening air, and a few times we also just drove to a nearby resort to have appetizers, and it was just as nice (and cheaper price of admission to some of these places!).

In June 2005 we stayed at Pali Ke Kua condos on the north shore, two doors down from the Princeville (where drinks and pupus are wonderful with their view). The view was stunning and the condo was very nice. We paid about $1350 for eight nights through Kauai Vacation Rentals. This included: $1085 rent, 11% taxes, $110 cleaning fee, and $35 booking fee. KVR (www.kauaivacationrentals.com) was a great agency and has a ton of condo and house rentals all over the island. I have more info on them and the trip in general at http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34508517.

love
roxy
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 08:54 PM

SimoneSassett:

If you don't need the pool/spa/restaurant extras, we've got some hotels on this island especially for the budget-conscious visitor:
http://gardenislandinn.com/
http://www.kauai-inn.com/
http://www.hotseasons.com/HAWAII--st...ORAL_REEF.html
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:10 PM

What time of year?
Unless it is peak season, you should have lots of options using hte Entertainment card.
Try Outrigger.com and click on Travel Club. rates I got a 1 bedroom condo (all ocean view) at Lae nani for $126, 2 bedroom condo for $156, using the Entertainment card.
BTW, Radisson Kauai is a pefectly decent hotel.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:20 AM

CaliNurse:

Announced just before the end of year -- our Radisson here on Kaua`i has been sold and will be converted to another of those condo-tels facilities (mostly timeshare, with just a handful of hotel rooms for rent). No word on when this will start or if the hotel will be closed while the renovations take place (kitchens have to be added to the condo/timeshare rooms).
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 10:06 AM

Oh no, Auntie!! More changes already?
I remember--in 2000?-- when they were turning it from the Outrigger (which I loved) into the Radisson.
I went there last June just to have a look 'round...lots of lovely memories.
Thanks for the update.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 12:46 PM

Hi Simone,

I have a timeshare in Marriott Kauai (1 br, oceanview) reserved for February 12-19. I don't know what dates you were thinking of, but I'm willing to part with it for $1200 for the whole week. My parents were initially going to go, but jsut tonight have changed thier minds! Talk about last minute!!

Some members of my family have been and they've had nice experiences.

Let me know if you're interested, email me directly [email protected]. Otherwise, I will call the resort and move the reservation to another date (I'll incur a $29 change charge, and I'm not even sure it can still be done).

Thanks!

ps. Just thought I'd mention that we also have a 2-bedroom in the same property for May 27 to June 3, 2005 but that would go for about $2200.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 04:55 PM

Hey check out Anini Beach Cottages. We've stayed there and recently sent friends. The houses rent for under or close to $200/noc.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 11:30 AM

We stayed at the fairly new Marriott Waiohai Beach Club in Poipu for 250 a night. They had a great location and awesome pools. Maybe you could get a better rate there than we did. Here's there website:http://www.vacationclub.com/en-us/de...p?cookies=true

We also stayed in a condo on the North Shore for about 115 a night. We had amazing views (from the living room, balcony, and bedroom), and their website shows pictures of the condo. I highly recommend it. http://www.nakearentals.com/ (the first one at Sealodge in Princeville).

amelie
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 07:14 PM

I've styed at the Pale Ke Kua and it is a lovely condo complex with wonderful views. I think condo's are a better deal strictly for the extra room, kitchen, lanai for same price as hotels. check out your local paper, travel magazines, bookstores for rec. also. There are some great condo's on both north shore and poipu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -