Reload this Page >

Unlikely road warrior tales..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 10:17 PM
jetset1

So today, we went north to Anchorage from the peninsula. Due to the week of rain we've endured, it is lush and green and spectacular. Lots of people fishing in the river, motorhomes forgetting to signal, the usual summer scene.
What was reallty bizarre though, was a guy in an ancient Winnebago, who had NO WINDSHIELD, but instead, was wearing goggles, the kind you'd picture on Errol Flynn, the bomber jacket, and we just about died laughing.
What have you encountered during a road trip that you still remember? J.

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We saw the funniest things in Puerto Rico. If all the street parking spaces are full, people just park behind the cars in the parking spaces, hemming them in and parking in the middle of the streets. We saw the old fashioned tow trucks, the ones that tow a car with a chain and only the front part of the car raised up for the towing.
What made this unique were the driver and passengers were still inside the car as it was being towed. We saw this over and over again.
The funniest thing we came accross was a building that had a Harley Davidson motorcycle showroom on one side, and a funeral home on the other side. You entered both by the same front door.
We went back and took pictures.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 08:17 AM
jetset1

tcapp~ I forgot to mention a stop we made halfway. Usually, I avoid rest stop facilities, but there was no way I could make it to Girdwood..
so here we pull up, and there's some sort of knight thing going on. People all dressed in their peasant fighting finery, some substituting rubber boots for footwear,lol.
When I emerged from the "powder room", David Blaine should have awarded me a prize for holding my breath in there. I lunged forward toward the car, giving my husband a good laugh.
I wanted to ask one of the Lancelots where his trusty steed was parked. Probably eaten by a grizzly beer!
Love your Harley tale, you should send the picture to Jay Leno!

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 08:19 AM

We were in Ashville, NC following a station wagon (this was in 1998, the wagon was about a 1979) with the fake wood paneling on the side. It was packed with what must have been everything that this guy owned. On top of the station wagon, amongst his other valuables was a dog house.....and the dog was inside!!!!

We also took a picture - still laugh at it!
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 08:25 AM
jetset1

oh, that poor dog,lol.

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 09:58 AM

On our trip to Hawaii, we were driving a small rental car around the Big Island and went onto an interesting-looking but horrible "road" through some lava fields. We survived a mile or so of bouncing around like crazy, deciding we'd had about all we could endure, and then suddenly appeared a sign proclaiming "Rough Road Ahead."
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 03:19 PM
jetset1

anyone have a Griswold family experience at least, trouble with a local, the desperate relatives, theme park tales 'o terror?
C'mon gang, grab a cool one and send them in

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 03:26 PM

Jetset, you live in Alaska? That's so cool!

Griswald experience? Shhhhh. Who let that secret out of the bag? I sometimes feel like we ARE the Griswalds, lol.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 07:21 PM
jetset1

seetheworld~ Yes, and sadly, it's the reason many people visitng Alaska just seem to fall off the earth. I send them to "the secret river", with the record breaking king salmon.. they are often grabbed by the Albino Bigfoot, who has an odor that would curl your nose hairs. He can be bribed by Krispy Kreme domuts and Godiva chocolates though.
Listen, I would just like people to remember to use that handy left or right signaling device mountingto the left of the steering thing, unkay?
I realize that seeing the moose and bear is exciting, but remember our rule about daytime headlights and not holding up more than five cars while you look for edible berries.
Golly stw, it's not you, but thanks for giving me a reason to educate our visitors, ha ha, J.

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 07:56 PM

Jetset, where on the Kenai do you live? I absolutely fell in love with the Homer area last year. Didn't see much more of the peninsula than the road, Seward, and Homer, but probably fall in love with just about any of it. I felt such a deep connection to Alaska--I know that sounds kind of weird, but it's true. I am STILL trying to talk my DH into relocating there! We were quite surprised how many people from the deep south now call Alaska home. Sure wish I could join them!

These stories are great! Keep 'em coming!
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 02:21 AM

I was behind a small pickup stopped for a light near my home town. The entire back of the pickup was filled with trash but so was the passenger compartment. The driver must have thrown every fast food container on the floor until that was filled. There was only space for the driver to sit with trash on the passenger side up to window level. I can't figure out why the trash didn't cause an accident. If I have one empty water bottle in the car, sooner or later it ends up under my feet.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 08:48 AM
jetset1

BayouGal~ you were here last summer? Well, for corn's sake. I was actually born in Homer and attended h.s.(we were the last class to fend off the T-Rex's).. and Seward, we get up there often as well.
No, I'n not one who competes in the mountain race on July 4th, now those women are hard core, some of them don't even shave(gasping)..
the answer to your question is in your question, like, where in Hawaii, if you have also toyed with joining the CIA and playing some "Rummy".
Okay, a brief history of southerners in the warp speed galaxy of Jville:
oil, texas tea, whatever you call the pricey dark stuff we all pay dearly for.
In the 50's, they discovered it in my area and developed it, yada yada. Every family with some kin who had ever dug a water well was here, settled in, and we have so many Baptist churches, why you can play musical chairs if you don't like the first twenty.
Oklahoma, Louisiana, Texas, Wyoming and Colorado, lots of transplants.
Anyhoo, if you have a hotmail or other, I'll happily issue an open invite and tell you much much more!
There are too many shady characters lurking about, so I must be stealthy and protect my identity.
Problem is I look very much like Angelina with a dash of Jaclyn Smith and this makes it hard even to get to the p.o without being mobbed, sigh.. J.

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 01:48 PM
jetset1

topping for BayouGal~ my morse code smoke signal hand is getting tired. I had to wrestle a skiter with the wingspan of a bald eagle while perusing nursey foliage.. J.

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 09:51 AM

OMG, Jetset . . . you are obviously my long lost twin!
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 10:56 AM

When I was a kid our parents used to take us on Sunday "outings". One Sunday involved a very long and windy single lane road out to somewhere on the other side of the San Bernardino Mtns in southern CA. The whole way, we followed a car with the wonderful license plate "PIG 007". (This was long before custom plates.) We laughed a long time over that one.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 03:44 PM
jetset1

Dayle~ here in tundra heaven, it's entertaining reading the plates of the shy and unassuming types.
I guess when you drive a big shiny pickup, with a "phlemi", you just go for it.
We have TTL PKG, who drives around looking like the poster boy for testosterone. He gets out and suddenly, everyone within spittin' distance smells of Calvin Klein.
Then there's Cletus. He's also a veteran, bless him. I just wish he'd consider deodorant and change his torn undershirt. His little ankle biter nearly deafened me one day, popped right up and started barking smack.
There's PURRRR in her Porsche, and XRCISE, who must do the old cardio spoon tilt at home, because those darn jean capris have gone way past the "use-by" date of the late 80's.

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 04:22 PM

Wait till that single gal looking for a place to relocate gets a load of these characters . . . I'm sure she'll be running to Alaska! ;-)

Jetset, you are hilarious!