Parking Garages

Old Nov 1st, 2007, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking Garages

Not strictly Europe, but mostly so -- England, France, Germany, USA and Japan, parking garage architecture, photographed as art. I think my next visit may have to include a stop in Marine Parade, Worthing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/galle...ture=331110611

Now that's my kind of tourist attraction!
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 05:28 PM
ComfyShoes

Very unusual. That on its own is not bad, mind you. I respect unusual, actually. Unless it is about Palermo donkey cart racing that someone else wrote about. Now THAT is unusally odd and enough to make me laugh. Which is also not bad.

Seriously, if you like it, have fun. I believe there is art in everything so long as one has the patience to appreciate it, and eye for it.

Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:23 AM
ira

>'Using formal expression to overcome any shortfall in the quality of construction' ... The Tricorn Centre, Portsmouth, designed by The Owen Luder Partnership.<

Now there is a firm and a car park from which I shall stay away.

Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:28 AM

"Now there is a firm and a car park from which I shall stay away"

Not too difficult. The Tricorn got demolished in 2004, to the universal approval of anyone who'd ever tried shopping, parking or working in it.

And it wasn't just the quality of construction - for which the architect can't always be blamed. It was just a truly rotten piece of design - though doubtless looked good on a drawing board.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

By using the word "rotten", you are making the common but incorrect assumption that architects have any interest in making a place pleasant or useful. A good architect regards human understanding and happiness as things to be stamped out, not encouraged.

My favorite examples are usually signs, or rather the absence of them. Architects hate signs. People who want to know where anything is shouldn't be allowed to use buildings!