Search

Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii

I have won an airline ticket to Maui through a contest. I have requested a Hawaiian travel guide but it's not here yet & I'm anxious to know: is there such a thing as a 5/6 day cruise from island to island, docking at points of high interest, like Pearl Harbor?
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 12:51 PM

Yes -- go to Yahoo Travel or Expedia, click on cruises, and search Hawaii.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 02:09 PM

The cruise ships dock at the harbors large enough to accomodate the ships. Once in harbor, you would have to sign up for land tours to the various points of interest. I believe there is one cruise that starts out of Maui, but only on certain day(s) of the week.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 02:13 PM
amaclise

I have heard it is a bit choppy out there on the water and flying between islands is pretty easy and inexpensive.

If you post with a more specific title (about Hawaii cruises) you may get more responses.

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 02:29 PM

Have you considered just staying in Maui and seeing it for your trip? I say this because I don't think a cruise is the best way to experience Hawaii. I have not done a cruise in Hawaii, but I have been there 4 times. On and off a ship, meals on the ship (mostly)...If you want to "experience" Maui, I would consider all the great advice on this board for seeing Maui. It is the most popular place (from what I have read) of the islands.

You are able to get 4 Star hotels on Priceline once you know the dates and have your tickets secured.

I don't know about cruise ships docking at Pearl Harbor.

Congrats on the great win! Are you
a "sweeper"?
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 02:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
WOW a free ticket to Maui... no way would I be gettin' on a boat instead of that. If it's Pearl Harbor in particular you wish to see, I'm sure you could do a 1-day trip to Oahu.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:55 PM

When I was in Kona on my first trip, cruise passengers were in line in the sun for over two hours waiting for the 'tender' to take them back to the ship. They were hot, complaining and I felt bad for them as I drove my red jeep back to my hotel and jumped in the pool...after dinner at a local yummy place, I sat on my balcony and watched the stars rise over the ocean.

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:22 PM

Forget the cruise. It dosen't do Hawaii justice.

Spend the entire time on Maui. Plan for a future trip to Oahu.

Lots of Maui info:

www.mauihawaii.org Great site of Maui Jon

www.visitmaui.com Free brochure

www.gohawaii.com Free brochure

www.alternative-hawaii.com Good drive guide w/photos. Good restaurant guide

www.hawaiiweb.com

www.thisweek.com This Week on Maui XXX

www.spotlighthawaii.com Maui Gold XXX

www.101thingstodo.com 101 Things to do on Maui XXX

XXX - These also have free hard copy brochures that you can get at airport baggage area & other places on Maui

Buy a copy of 'Maui Revealed'.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

I'm brand new to Fodors and I've got a lot to learn. Thanks to each of you for taking time to help me out !
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 04:39 PM

Welcome to Fodors! You found the best place on the internet for honest opinions, and travel and trip reviews.

It's a great place to ask questions, and get good answers. Most Fodorites like that you do some research first and don't expect everyone to just tell you what to do...What is great about this board is first hand experience regarding where you are going. And everyone has an opinion and it's just that: an opinion or review based on their experience.

Take everything with a grain of salt and balance opinions, cost, what you have found out, etc;

If you want to take a cruise in Hawaii, go to the "Cruise" board and get opinions from people who have done them. If you have concerns, ask.

There are some great travelers here, who offer excellent advice. But in the end, it's your vacation, your experience: So make sure it's what's right for you!

You will love Hawaii!