Search

Union Square (San Francisco) restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Union Square (San Francisco) restaurants

Hi,

I will be meeting a friend in the Union Square area for dinner this week. Can you suggest your favorite restaurants in the area (and rough cost/person)? I would be inclined to opt for places with good or excellent food (of any kind) at "reasonable prices" (maybe $20-$30 for 2-3 courses, excluding wine).

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

John H.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 12:48 PM

Check out First Crush www.firstcrush.com. It is about two blocks from Union Square.

My wife and I love the place and go a few times a year. Dinner w/o wine is about $60-80 for two. They serve small plates (tapas) and regular size individual meals. Fantastic atmosphere. Reservations are a must.

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 12:56 PM

Sure.

My favorite restaurant is Jeanne d'Arc in the basement of the Cornell Hotel at 715 Bush Street. This is a couple of blocks off Union Square, walk up Powell to Bush and it's just around the southwest corner and on the left.

You'll get a fantastic classic french four-course meal for $32.50 per person (the price just went up a little). Great wine selection also.

The setting is perfect -- you feel like you're in a 15th century cellar surrounded by relics of the era. It's serene bordering on funky. The lighting is perfect. Fresh flowers from the owner's garden on every table. Intimate. Quite nice all-around actually.

The food is superb! As is the service. Never, ever have been disappointed here.

Most recent dinner for four, I picked up tab and it was about $195 and this included two good red Rhines, but not tip. This is really a great value for what you get.

Give it a try -- it's my little secret place. Or at least is was...

http://www.cornellhotel.com/jeanne/TypicalMenu.png

http://www.cornellhotel.com/jeanne/index.shtml

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 12:57 PM

Try Max's. The menu is posted on-line.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 03:08 PM

Two places I loved:

Cafe Adree in the Hotel Rex. I had the smoked corn ravioli, and it was one of the most interesting-tasting things I've ever had. There were several other dishes on the menu I would have tried if it was in my budget!

There's an upscale mexican place called Colibri that was very nice. I would go back for the salsas alone. My main dish was great too, a stewed chicken in a sort of mole sauce. Excellent.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:05 AM

If you like that classic cozy French bistro vibe, you would like Anjou on Campton Place. Brick walls, brass railings, small but not cramped. The menu has traditional items as well as their own special dishes. They used to have a sturgeon dish with a potato puff on the side that I could not prevent myself from ordering all the time - it was that good.

44 Campton Place
It's in a little alley between Stockton and Grant. If you ask directions to the very posh Campton Place Hotel at 340 Stockton, you will be on your way.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:07 AM

Dear bluestar,

Loved your mention of the Jeanne d'Arc. I liked it the few times I've gone. Those who rate themselves as witty within my circle used to always ask me if it was a barbecue place. HaHa.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great replies.

John H.