Saturday Night Dinner in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I have planned a spur-of-the-moment trip to Geyserville and San Francisco this weekend. We have dinner plans for Friday night (Willi's Raw Bar) and Delfina's on Sunday. Where to eat Saturday night!!! We've been to San Francisco a couple of times and sort of know the favorites. We were hoping to try one of the newer restaurants that have been opened since last we were here (2005). We'll be staying in the Union Square area. We won't have a car, but willing to travel for a great meal. Since we'll be eating at Delfina's on Sunday (Italian), most any other cuisine will work. We're looking for a casual place with great food and wine, that's not extremely expensive. (Less then $$$$.) Any suggestions will be most appreciated. P.S. We live in Albuquerque, New Mexico, so anything a little different might be fun! Thanks.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 04:24 PM

Hi foodster, here is the food website from the SF Chronical which you can review to give you some ideas as to what might appeal to you. Have a fun time..the weather will be perfect!
http://www.sfgate.com/food/
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 04:28 PM

We enjoyed Foreign Cinema on our last visit in December...good food and service, cozy interior and certainly fits your "a little different" request.

www.foreigncinema.com
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 04:44 PM

I agree, Foreign Cinema would be great. You can take BART to 24th/Mission -- it's between 22nd&23rd.

Also, it's not new (but neither is Foreign Cinema) - but Jeanne d'Arc is a nice French restaurant near Union Square. 4 course prix fixe dinners for @ $32.50. Excellent preparation and good, varied wine list. Super-friendly in an eclectic setting. It's in the basement of the Cornell Hotel -- just walk up Powell, turn left at Bush, and it's on your left just around the corner.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 04:56 PM

correction: Foreign Cinema is b/w 21st & 22nd Streets on Mission.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 05:07 PM

Hi foodster, here is a website for Plouf on Belden Place which would be an easy walk from Union Square and perhaps a restaurant you might enjoy.
http://www.ploufsf.com/
This restaurant is a favorite of so many people, so just another thought.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 05:44 PM

Willi's in Healdsburg and Delfina in the Mission - you guys sure know where to dine good. These are both locals' favorites.

Anyway for your Saturday dinner, i'll let you in on more good dining option.

Bistro Chapeau on Clement is a terrific French restaurant with solid dishes, good wines and great hosts.

http://bistrochapeau.citysearch.com/

Another very good option is Zuni Cafe. Try their famous roast chicken - one of the best anywhere.

http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/profile/863427

Enjoy.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:07 PM

I've heard good things about Plouf, LoveItaly. Though I have troubles with places that don't put prices on their menus. ;-)
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 10:20 PM

This thread reminds me of the old nursery rhyme I learnt:

I shoot an arrow in the air
It lands, I know it where

foodster: you have to give us a few more clues as to your likes and dislikes. San Francisco is such a foodie delight that you can have a choice of restaurants whatever pleasures your palate.

First, choose a continent - Europe, Asia ..... ?

Then choose a country. E.g., you really like French/Italian/German/British/Russian food.

I take it you don't want Italian, but that leave the rest of the world outside of Italy and it's pretty darn near impossible to give you the right recommendation.

Please, give us some more hints so we can zero in on certain cuisines that strike YOUR fancy.

TIA!
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:09 AM

My favorite right now is Aziza way out on Geary (take the 38 Geary bus, or taxi). It's not very new, but made the Chronicle "Top 100" list that was published this past Sunday. I think it's a regular on the top 100. The food is Moroccan/California cuisine. Try the fixed price menu - which the Chron said was recently raised from $38 to $48.

BTW, this is Easter weekend, and I suspect almost all of the places mentioned so far will be already booked up. We have reservations at Range, but we made them several weeks ago.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:25 AM

I would suggest The Slanted Door, but you need a few months to get in there.

I too would suggest Plouf -- sort of an authentic feeling Left Bank Parisian experience. But then I guess it was LoveItaly who sent us there -- and a great suggestion it was, too.

This is funny, trippinkpj, and I agree with you. I was surprised their prices aren't on the menu as they really are very reasonable. Perhaps because it's so much fish and seafood the prices change according to the market?
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:46 AM

The suggestion for Plouf reminds me that, living in New Mexico, perhaps seafood restaurants are not as plentiful as they are here. For my seafood cravings, I've been going to Bar Crudo on Bush Street. It's tiny, both in space and in menu, but sensational. You can sit at the bar downstairs or at tables in the "loft" upstairs. Raw preparations and fresh oysters are their specialty, and a chowder showcasing whatever is the best of the catch that day. Very impressive beer and wine list for such a small place. If you are interested, call for a res. ASAP, or all is lost.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:55 AM

Coi and Plouf come to mind. And like the plague, I'd avoid Hawthorne Lane ... pricey, so-so food and rude management and service.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:25 AM

By the way, enjoy Delfina. I've told my story before. After making reservations a month ahead there, we arrived to find a missing chef, half the staff taking the night off and total disorganization, including no bartender. Even half the customers didn't show up. Why? Our reservation was for 9/11/2001. I've always wanted to go back for a second try, but keep failing to. (And no, I hold no grudge -- it was just a very strange night).
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:44 AM

>> I'd avoid Hawthorne Lane ... pricey, so-so food and rude management and service.<<

They've made it easy for you - they closed recently.

Stu Dudley

Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:56 AM

Hawthorne Lane sure was so-so, I agree. After my first dinner there, I made sure I never went back unless someone else's company was footing the bill. The one stellar thing on their menu was the basket of American-style dinner breads. Home made Parker House rolls and fan-tan rolls - I thought they only existed in books on regional cookery.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:56 AM

Not so fast there, cowboy.
They re-invented it as TWO Hawthorne Lane.

The old one was just too tired, worn very businesslike and catered mostly to older clienteles.

TWO, from what I heard, is redesigned ambiance, different menu and aimed at younger clients.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:18 AM
SAB

Newer places that you might try: Nopa, Myth, Oola, Town Hall, Salt House. I would highly recommend Perbacco, but since you are going to Delfina's that might be too much Italian. I also highly recommend Bar Crudo or Coi.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:37 PM

Dear foodster,
You have in front of you some very up to the minute suggestions for good restaurants in S.F. Whatever you decide on, do make your resevations soon so you are not disappointed, because all of the above are very popular, esp. on weekends.

SAB,
I had a business lunch at Salt House last week and was very favorably impressed. Owned by the same folks who brought us Town Hall, the theme for both places seems to be "little brick building next door to huge construction pit". Luckily for us the pile driver was silent the day of our lunch.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:42 PM

Oh, foodster, just thought of something.... If you are having dinner at Delfina, maybe you should save a little room after dinner and stroll over to the new Bi-Rite Creamery - believe it's just across the street. There will probably be a line, but I hear the ice cream (esp. the caramel and coffee flavors) are worth any wait. My work colleague had the brownie sundae the other night and described it to me in almost orgasmic terms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -