COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Ok to put houseguests in the master bedroom?

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Ok to put houseguests in the master bedroom?

I have friends coming to visit for 3 days.

Because of some remodeling our guest room is not usable. I am thinking of letting our guests stay in our master bedroom with master bathroom while by husband & I camp out in the den on cots.

What is the general thinking about this? odd or OK? It seems polite to give them the best accomodations.

all thoughts are welcome.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 06:55 AM

I'd feel funny having them sleep on cots. When did it become odd to offer polite hospitality? Unless they are showing up on your doorstep uninvited, by all means offer them the comfortable accomodations.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 06:59 AM

Um, she does want to offer her guests the bedroom.

I think it's OK. They'll probably think you're very thoughtful to let them sleep in the comfy bed. Just set it up as you would your guest room.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:00 AM

Friends did something like this for us years ago, and it developed into the best friendship we probably have ever had. It's tough not to be loving, forgiving, and understanding with friends who give up their own bed for you! ;-)
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:06 AM

To each his own, but for me it would depend on just how close I was to the particular houseguest. I'm not inclined to give up my bedroom to anyone.

I would explain the situation to my guests and give them the option of sleeping the in the den or letting them know (and I don't mean this sarcastically) that you understand if they chose to stay in a hotel.

Do what you feel comfortable doing though. If you are really close to these guests and are willing to do this, then by all means, do so.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:09 AM

Cots???? I thought they were something you slept on in the Army, not in your den. Go out and by an air mattress - Aerobed. It takes 2 minutes to inflate and gives you a very compy sleep.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:11 AM

Hi screen, we never did. We have had a few relatives give us their master bedroom/bath a few times and quite frankly it made us feel uncomfortable. After that with each family we always stayed at a hotel so that we didn't feel like we were bothering them and disrupting their household.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:18 AM

It would make me uncomfortable to displace them too LoveItaly, so much so I think I'd insist that we take the cots (yes aerobed, much better ).
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:20 AM

It's your house and you have the right to do what you wish. But it would creep me out and make me very uncomfortable. I know I wouldn't give up my bed, and I wouldn't expect anyone to give up theirs.

(But do ditch the cots. ICK! An air mattress is really a far better solution.)
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:23 AM

Make sure your friend know the situation before they arrive. I would NOT be happy with the arrangements. I would much rather get a hotel room than have my hosts "camp out...on cots" in the den.

It's a nice gesture - but I would not be comfortable sleeping in the master while my friends are sleeping on cots.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:28 AM

Age has a lot to do with perceptions and comfort levels. I assumed (never a good idea, I know) from the OP that you are young, no children yet, and your friends are the same. What you are suggesting is something young folks would not think twice about--since they often stay with friends to reduce travel expenses and to enjoy a good visit at the same time. However, at my age, this would make me uncomfortable--especially due to the fact that the hosts/my friends would be about my age and would undoubtedly have tired, aching bones from sleeping on cots while I guiltily tossed and turned in the comfy bed they'd given up.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:29 AM

That is what happened to us both times,, we had no idea our hosts were going to give us their masterbedroom.

If we had been told in advance we would have somehow worked out getting a hotel..both times we really were uncomfortable as much as we were touched my their generosity.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:32 AM
JJ5

Totally agree with LoveItaly. I, myself, couldn't be relaxed or enjoy any stay if I had outed my hosts from their own bedroom.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:35 AM
GoTravel

That would be creepy if I went to someone's house and they had vacated the master bedroom for me.

On the other hand, I'd never give up my bedroom for guests. They either sleep in the beds I have provided or get a hotel room.

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:52 AM

I do agree with the poster who suggested what is probably standard operating procedure for 20somethings would not be received the same way as for 40somethings.

First, did you invite them, or did they invite themselve? If you invited them, knowing full well that you had to make some alternative arrangements because of your remodeling, then I think it would be quite gracious to give them your room and get you and your husband a comfortable aerobed for the den. If they have invited themselves, you should pick up the phone and let them know that unfortunately this remodeling is taking longer than you expected and that the guestroom is now a den with an aerobed --- and that you would understand if they wanted to stay in a hotel.

My husband and I stay in hotels even when we visit our grown children. It makes it more comfortable for everyone and I am quite sure they appreciate the privacy, as do we. I think your guest might feel very uncomfortable if they had suggested dropping in on you, and find you giving up your bed and sleeping in the den. Let them make that call, especially if they invited themselves to drop in.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:52 AM

well...all I have to say is this.
Make sure that while they're there, you don't go into the master bedroom!

You might get scolded and they might never come back!
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

thank you for all your replies.

I have had an aunt & uncle do this for me a few times and I thought it was a little odd but overall I thought it was fine.

Is it different if its family??

(oh and I think I will go out and get an aerobed too.)
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:02 AM

Only family I would cough up my room for would be parents.

Again though, depends on what you are comfortable with doing.

Is it that you don't want to do it but you feel guilty? Do you want to do it but you think it's weird?

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

I REALLY want to do it because I want my dear friends to have the best, most comfortable accomodations that I can provide...that means my master bedroom.

However, I do think it could be odd to some people.

I am now convinced that I should ask them first. I will give them the choice. (and I will get the aerobed for the den)

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:10 AM

Good idea.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO