Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

SF this weekend-walking/restaurant suggestions?

Old Nov 25th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Hubby and I will be in SF this weekend (oh brilliant, the day after Thanksgiving!). We don't want to run around and do the tourist thing. We're much more into just wandering in interesting neighborhoods. I was thinking we would wander up and down Valencia/Mission and Union Street. Are these as funky/interesting as the travel guides make them sound? Also, we're staying at the Alamo Square Inn. Any suggestions for restaurants nearby?
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 02:35 PM

Union street is nice and worth exploring, but while you're there, also go down a couple blocks and walk along Chestnut. And if you're up to it, climb the Filmore hill and explore upper Filmore Street as well.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 03:26 PM

How about exploring the Upper Haight neighborhood and having dinner in Cole Valley? Lots of Victorians, also the streets bordering Mt. Sutro are quite interesting. I'd have dinner at Eos, on the corner of Cole and Carl. I'd walk into their wine bar (next door to the restaurant proper) - you can have anything from the restaurant menu, but it's a much more relaxed atmosphere and you don't need reservations.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 04:25 PM
SAB

Union Street is definitely not funky, lots of boutiques however. Am I correct that you are looking for a place to dine near hotel which is on Almo Square or were you looking for something in Mission or Union Street area?
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 05:00 PM

Valenica and Union are worlds apart. Valencia does have some "funk" remaining but it is disappearing fast. Gourmet did a feature article on Valenica Street sometime in the past two years. See if you can get a copy of Patricia Unterman's Food Lovers Guide to SF..she lists things by neighborhoods. I think North Beach is pretty interesting. Hang out at Cafe Trieste and watch the world go by. Definitely check out City Lights Bookstore. Someone recently wrote a thread called, I think "Empty day in San Francisco"..many of local folks responded there. Check it out for more ideas.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 06:39 PM

We just ate at the Globe on Pacific/Front. It's about 3 blocks from the Embarcadero just a bit from Little Italy and Chinatown. Great food and wine list; friendly waiters and this week i bet there will be lots of street parking.
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 08:49 AM

And, the Diane Arbus exhibit at the SF MOMA is, IMO, an absolute must!