Grammercy Tavern or Union Square Cafe

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 06:32 AM
Jesse

Grammercy Tavern or Union Square Cafe

Trying to decide which of these two restuarants to make reservations, or are both overrated? I hear very mixed reviews? Appreciate any help.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:06 AM
xxx

Gramercy is my favorite of the two. His new restaurant, Craft is also very good.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:33 AM
nyc

Neither restaurant is overrated. Even though both are part of the Danny Meyer empire, each has its own chef/co-owner.

Union Square Cafe has a more basic, plain style of cooking. The food is always perfectly prepared, but there is nothing particularly innovative about it. Generally it's also harder to get reservations there.

Gramercy Tavern's kitchen is more of nouvelle american style. The tasting menus (including a vegetarian one) are an excellent way to sample this approach.

Both places feature attentive service without snootiness, warm atmospheres and great wine lists.

I would recommend Gramercy Tavern as its cuisine is more ambitious.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:53 AM
Howard

You can't go wrong with either one. Make sure you call exactly 30 days out for reservations.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 10:16 AM
suzanne

Gramercy is my favorite restaurant. The food is outstanding. If you go, make sure you try the mushroom tart appetizer - it's incredible!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 04:46 PM
x

30 days ahead??? In April, we walked into GT for an early dinner (530-ish?) and were fine with being seated in the bar area - immediately. Enjoyed the dinner very much.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:16 PM
Howard

Since most people prefer a table to sitting at the bar and most would rather dine later than 5:30, it's best to make reservations a month out at both places!

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:44 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 08:12 PM
xxx

gramercy tavern is on my daughter's top hit list. there were no tables available in the back room the one shopping day when we finally had the opportunity to both stop in for lunch. drat! i can't wait to read your review if you end up there. i'm also looking forward to trying craft which i hadn't even heard about until this thread. so thanks to you and xxx.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 09:10 PM
dcp

I hate to disagree with the other posters (ok, maybe not) but I found the Union Square Cafe to be way over-rated. The food was ok and that's about all I can say. I made reservations 30 days in advance and would only recommend it if you could just walk in and eat. Even then I'd probably go by a couple of other places (Il Mulino) to see if I could get in.