Search

U S Open 2004

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U S Open 2004

Hello out there!
I'm taking my dear tennis addicted hubby of 25 years to the Open for our anniversary. We are hoping to get up to the tournament over Labor Day weekend. Will stay in Manhatten and subway over to Flushing Meadows. From what I've read in other posts, it seems like the grounds pass is the way to go, rather than stadium tickets (since I don't have access to a corporate box! Any insight into this plan? Are the crowds a problem as far as getting decent seats for the matches on the outer courts? And how early should we arrive before the starting times to get a good seat? I'm guessing it is first come first served.
ANY inside scoop would be HUGELY appreciated.
Thanks to all!
Old May 4th, 2004, 03:24 PM

Since Labor Day is late this, I'm not sure if that is the end of the first or second week of the Open. Since it'll make a big difference in any response, can you answer that?
Old May 4th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

I think Labor Day w'end is midway into the tournament, with the finals the following weekend. So, is it totally hopeless or can we do it and have a great memory?
Thanks!
Old May 4th, 2004, 04:01 PM

We go to the Open every Labor Day (Monday). We buy general admission seats ahead of time, but spend most of our time watching matches on the outer courts. You can find good seats at many of the matches. Getting there an hour ahead of time would be a good idea (10:00 a.m.). Last year we also went on the Wed. prior to Labor Day (via subway from Grand Central), bought grounds passes, and saw wonderful matches on the outside courts. Note that grounds passes are not too much cheaper than the cheapest stadium seats.
Old May 5th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Yogi!! That really solves my dilemma. We are really looking forward to it.
Old May 5th, 2004, 10:32 AM

We've had stadium seats in the upper reaches and it was fine for watching the matches in the main stadium. And, of course, you can go to any of the outlying courts as well.
Old May 5th, 2004, 11:10 AM

Whenever we go to the Open, we go over Labor Day weekend (usually the Sunday) -- that assures that there is still lots of great play going on. A grounds pass gets you EVERYWHERE in the U.S. Tennis Center BUT Arthur Ashe Stadium (which is reserved seating only). If your husband is a fanatic, he won't miss being in Ashe, since so many amazing matches are played elsewhere. In my opinion, Grandstand is the best -- so intimate but with big names. If you arrive when the gates open, you should have no problem getting a great spot. Have fun; it's a great event.