Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Northwest Airlines seat selection-how to get the best seats?

Mar 31st, 2005, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

We're flying NW to Bangkok in June. I was able to select seats on nwa.com but many seats in economy are blocked for elite or disabled customers. I checked seatguru.com but it doesn't mention that many seats are blocked. Does anyone-RMKKM?(Bob)- have suggestion how to get good seats? We wanted bulkhead for more room with kids, but those are blocked.
Mar 31st, 2005, 08:10 AM

If you're not a World Perks Elite, or paying a full-fare, etc, then they're not going to give you the preferred seats. They are reserved for a reason.

You can call and beg, or go to the airport early on your day of travel. If those seats are still not assigned, then they may be able to give them to you.
Mar 31st, 2005, 10:05 AM

You can keep calling-- they may release some of those seats closer to the flight. If they don't and you see that they are still open, go to the airport VERY early and try then.
Mar 31st, 2005, 10:20 AM

N/W allows selection 90 days in advance...i call right after mid night on day 89 depending on your location---they (NW) are in central time...seats do not open up until that day....

we like rows 63 or 64 for the 747 transpacific flight....2 seats only per row with a wide space between seat and window...they are in the very back of the plane...these are the only 2 seaters on the plane....i would only deal directly with the airline...

i have never failed to get those seats by following the 90 day rule...

not sure if they would suit you with kids but why not...
Mar 31st, 2005, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

rhkkmk- Did you know about checking your seat selection on nwa.com? You don't even have to call. Just put in your confirmation number and your itinerary comes up and you can make or change seat selection. It shows a map of the plane with all seats. I just checked for our seats on the 90th day before, and most seats are open except for the blocked ones. I will look at rows 63 and 64, but my only concern is that they are way back in the plane. Aren't they close to the bathrooms?
Mar 31st, 2005, 12:13 PM

Being close to the bathrooms means putting up with a lot of noise and people around you at all times- not good. Back of the plane is ok as long as you don't need to get off quick-to make another connection, and you may wind up in long lines at customs and of course you are served last which means your choice of meals may be limited to what remains. If none of these things are issues for you then those seats may be best.
Mar 31st, 2005, 12:43 PM

Those last rows on a 747 are great for two people traveling together. Or perhaps single person to get the window seat. If you have more than two, then the benefits is minimal.

Also, the 6+ hour NRT-BKK flight is now a A330-200, so are a few West Coast-NRT flights.
Mar 31st, 2005, 01:17 PM
emd

My son and I sat in 63A and C on bob's advice. They are not right by the bathrooms, and we never had anyone hanging in the aisle by us- they hang back by the galley and exit door area, not in the aisles at row 63. The seats were great- so much room for my stuff next to the window. We had 64 A and C on way back, not as good (not as much space next to window) but still good. Unless you have the "space nazi" sitting behind you like I did- she told me 6 times that that space was not mine, it was hers and I had no right to it, etc. Sheez.
Mar 31st, 2005, 06:46 PM

the bathrooms in that area are way back, next to the galley as i remember...we have never been bothered...there are a couple of rows in back of 63 and 64....i think to 67??

if there is turbulance you get a little extra sway back there, but that is the only negetive...i wll not sit any place other than these unless i have to....63 give you an extra seat pocket in front of you but not a fold down table....kids could walk from one seat to another without going out in the aisle...my wiofe lies down in the space next to the window on the floor and sleeps---first class economy price...
another advantage is that you board first so get lots of overhead space...
Apr 1st, 2005, 01:16 AM
emd

In 63A and C we did have fold down tables. One other really big perk is that you have not only the extra space next to the seat by the window but you have extra storage space under the seats in front of you as well, because there are 3 seats in front of you. You do not get that extra storage space if you are in 64, because there are only 2 seats in front of you in row 63. BTW, I booked rows 63 on way over and 64 on way back on the 1st day that seat selection opened up, and as you can see, 63 was already taken on the way back.
Apr 1st, 2005, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Rhkkmk-what seats do you have on the Narita to BKK flight on the A330-200plane?
Apr 1st, 2005, 10:04 AM

i asked for seats as far forward as possible with an aisle and window...we got 19 A&B...this section has slighly more pitch to the seat than the rear section according to seatguru
Apr 1st, 2005, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

rhkkmk- thanks! those are the same seats we have, except on the opposite side 19 J,K and 20 J,K. Glad to hear they are better than the back.
Apr 1st, 2005, 03:45 PM

I always ask for the same seats as Bob as well. If you have to fly economy, they are by far the best. A little trick I use to get those seats always works. On Singapore Airlines, you cannot reserve seats in advance, only make a request that they never seem to honor, so when we get to the airport and are told those seats are not available (and I know they are because we get there three hours early) I always very quietly and with an embarrassed smile tell the agent at check in that I almost always get sick on airplanes and it's very embarrassing to be throwing up with a stranger next to me, and they don't like it much either. The agent ALWAYS gives us the seats we want. The fact that I've never gotten sick on a plane is irrelevant, I'm willing to compromise my dignity and pride for a bit of comfort ;-)
Apr 1st, 2005, 04:00 PM

Seatguru only mentions the extra pitch in row 10-28 on the A330-300; not the -200 version used in Asia.
Apr 1st, 2005, 06:19 PM

i thought it was the 300...is it a 200??
Apr 1st, 2005, 06:21 PM

i just called N/W and it is a 200
Apr 1st, 2005, 06:31 PM

So far, all 333 are used on Atlantic routes and 332 on Pacific ones. Haven't seen any exception yet.
Apr 1st, 2005, 06:37 PM

by no tray tables i ment only the one nearest the window on the row in front, which really has no seat in back of it...it would be very nice if there was a table there....we use the extra pocket
Apr 2nd, 2005, 01:13 AM

I've got row 66 & 67 on Cathay Pacific for all flight segments from SFO-BKK, based on the seatguru map showing them to be the two-across seats. Does anyone know if Cathay Pacific honors seat assignments, or like Singapore, considers them merely a request?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO