Sweeney Todd on Broadway

Search

Sweeney Todd on Broadway

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweeney Todd on Broadway

I saw this last night and as I haven't heard much about it, I thought I'd post a review.

We enjoyed it very much. The story isn't exactly ... uplifting ... but you know that going in. It is a very small, intimate production. Only 10 actors all onstage the entire time. No orchestra, the actors play all of the instruments.

Patti LuPone was GREAT, as was Michael (?) Cervesis (gee, I hope I'm getting that right). The singing was fabulous and the staging very interesting. Our only complaint (and we heard it from others around us) is that some of the sung words are difficult to understand. Seems to be a combination of Sondheim's music (lotsoflittlewordscomingatyouveryfast) along with the music being slightly too loud and the actors not miked enough.

All in all, a good show and the audience seemed to truly enjoy it (not just the obligatory ovation, but thunderous applause that lasted a loooong time).

One note -- we tried desperately to find a place for a bite (outside of TS) after the show on our way to Grand Central. Every place we tried said their kitchen had just closed at 11. A word to the wise ...
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the review! I love Patti LuPone (ever since I saw her in Evita)

Also, thanks for the tip about dining afterwards. We're seeing the "Odd Couple" tomorrow night and was wondering where we should eat afterwards....
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

You've probably already gone and found somewhere wonderful to eat. I just wanted to note that there were several places still open in Times Square, but as we walked out of the TS area and further east, most kitchens were closed.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 07:30 AM

Back to the original subject...We thought Sweeney Todd was brilliant! Where were you sitting lisettemac? I ask because we had no difficulty hearing all the words. In fact, we commented about how great that aspect was.
We were sitting in the second row, which was great for that show. In addition to the above-mentioned advantage, our seats offered a golden opportunity to observe the cast up close even when they weren't part of the particular scene.
(PS: His name is spelled Cerveris.)
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

We were sitting in the front row of the mezzanine. I thought they were great seats, although you are right, Howard, that with such a "small" show, close seats are great.

Wonder why it isn't getting much buzz?
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 05:45 AM

It's getting a lot of buzz with veteran theatergoers in the city. It's just that the subject matter doesn't exactly lend itself to appealing to the masses!
In my opinion, it's a must-see for any lover of the theater.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 05:25 PM

Absolutely a great show!

Tickets are available at the TKTS booth (now located at the Marriott Marquis)for 50% off.

REMEMBER: These are CASH only tickets!
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 06:37 PM

We saw it in May. I can't agree entirely with the raves.

I was so eager to see this show: the Sondheim music, Patti LuPone as the bloodthirsty Mrs. Lovett, all very exciting to me. That sort of anticipation almost guarantees disappointment.

And I did have some disappointment. Not with the lead performances, though: Patti LuPone and Michael Cerveris were both terrific. And Alexander Gemignani was very good, I thought, in a supporting role, as well as being a fine musician.

My disappointment was with the staging. As you mention, lisettemac, every cast member was onstage constantly for the entire show, each of them playing a musical instrument in either a few scenes or throughout the show. There was one very meager stage set, and no change of scenes at all.

Reviews, I understand, have been unstinting in their praise for this innovative production, and audience members were raving about it. But to me it seemed like novelty for economy's sake, and I found it more distracting than intriguing. My husband didn't react strongly either way.

Guess I just like a more "literal" production.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 08:46 PM

I always sing - I'm the demon barber of Fleet Street. I get some looks sometimes.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 01:16 PM

Smalti, I guess you can't please everyone. It doesn't make you a bad person! Hey, we didn't like Wicked!
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 03:10 PM

Howard, I am so glad that I took your recommendation and saw Sweeney Todd when we were in New York in April. Enthralling. The entire cast was spectacular. It is up for 6 Tony Awards I understand. Isn't/wasn't that tonight?
-Bill
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 03:53 PM

Reading back lisettermac's review, I would also have to agree that in my opinion, I too had some difficulty understanding the words.

Are the TONYs tonight?
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 04:17 PM

Yes, the TONYs are airing right now
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 07:22 AM

Welcome to Sondheim!It's always a challenge to catch all of the words(more like opera,really.) That's why,if I can,I like to see a production a couple of times.

My sister saw this production in February for my birthday and we're going back for hers next month!

I thought the staging was brilliant,and although I knew every plot turn(practically every lyric) going in,I was still on the edge of my seat.
I have to admit,however,I though Patti Lupone was the weak link.I felt like she was phoning it in(and her perf.on the Tony's seemed about the same.)

Michael Cerveris,however,visits me in my nightmares!(anyone see him in Assassains-loved him then,too!)
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 07:23 AM

Correction-my sister and I saw this production in Feb.and are going back again next month.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 12:19 PM

Interestingly, one of the things that really impressed us was the fact that we could hear every word that was sung!
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 03:05 PM

Howard, I could hear every word being sung, I just couldn't understand every word.

Seriously, We were seated right orchestra and I do believe something is not right with the sound system in that theater. Before the performance I could hear all sort of static and feedback from the speaker that was near our seats. Perhaps that had something to do with it.

However, I Cerveris was certainly enunciating every single word -- I could see the spit flying out of his mouth -- I'm sure spraying the first row or two. I thought he was great. I've also loved Patti LuPone. She was fun to watch.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 03:25 PM

We had seats in the second row center, which may explain our "good hearing" experience. Normally, we don't like to sit that close, but for that show, it was perfect. I had a direct sightline to Patti Lupone when she was seated, and it was fascinating to watch her when she wasn't center stage.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 03:30 PM

Broadwaybox.com has a new discount offer for the show that good for performances through August 27--$60 for weekday performances and $70 for weekends...more than TKTS, but you can get them in advance and avoid waiting in line. Since the show is not selling out, the best way to use this offer is to go to the box office with a printed copy when you arrive in the city, thus avoiding the online and telephone service charge.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 03:58 PM

I am sooooo remaining quiet on this one

Although, I would love to see Patti LuPone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -