Two Days in NYC- help!

Search

Two Days in NYC- help!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Days in NYC- help!

My sister and I have a little less than two days in NYC and want to make the most of them. We'll be arriving around 10 am next Saturday (7/14) and then leaving around 4 pm on Sunday. It's the first time visiting for the both of us and we want to see as much as possible but still be able to enjoy ourselves. We have dinner reservations for Saturday night and want to see Chinatown and visit the WTC site. We're thinking about doing a cruise around the island, but we haven't yet made up our minds. Right now, our itinerary is:

Saturday:
12:30 Cruise around island (3 hours)
5:45 dinner at L'Ecole

Sunday:
morning: WTC site
afternoon: Chinatown

We would appreciate any help or suggestions!

Thank you!
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Ike

I would pass on Chinatown myself if I only had less than two days. I would go to the 34th St. heliport and take a 30 minute helicopter ride. You could visit the Empire State Building on your way to the heliport. Go to Central Park and walk around and at least walk in the front door of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Go back on your next trip. Walk down 5th and Madison avenue's and check out the great shopping then walk insider St. Patricks. Walk around Rockefellar Center where the tree is Christmas. A cab ride to WTC and back will take you a couple of hours probably. NYC can't be seen in this short period of time. I've been over 30 times and yet to see a lot of the city. Good luck
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 04:13 PM

Agree that Chinatown is not your best ue of time.

And realize that New York is open 24/7 - so you're giving up valuable sightseing time in the evening.

I'm not sure I would do a boat ride either - or if you do take the Staten Island ferry (free, great views and much less than 3 hours).

Also - do Top of the Rock (best around sunset so you can see the city both in day and night). You can get timed tickets for whenever you want. If you prefer you can do it after dinner since it's open to midnight.

On Sunday you could do the WTC sight as well as some downtonw shopping (Centruy 21 discount - or trendy in soho - much better than chinatown, which is mostl tschotkes nobody really wants).
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 04:18 PM

Definitely agree that you should skip Chinatown. If I had just two days and was there for the first time, I would do the Staten Island Ferry for some photo ops of the Statue of Liberty without actually doing the tour. Then go to 5th avenue and cruise the shopping before taking a peek into Central Park for a little while.
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. We've been second-guessing the cruise and, you're right nytraveler, we haven't thought about what to do after dinner. We thought about seeing a show, but I think it's going to be too close to dinner and I'd rather go sightseeing. I read an article about the great food in Chinatown a while ago and it's been too long since I've had decent Chinese food so I can't see cutting it out, but maybe only doing lunch there would work.

Thanks again and any other suggestions are welcome!
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 06:17 PM

Don't know where you livel, but if you love Chinese food and don't get it at home, by all means get some, but it doesn't have to be in Chinatown. There are hundreds of good Chinese restaurants around Manhattan that are better than the average place in anytown USA. Do you know about menupages.com?

3 hrs. is waaaaaaay too long to spend on a boat in a 2 day visit. There are plenty of other boat options that would be a better use of time.
sail-nyc.com
Shearwatersailing.com

Go to the theater unless you hate it. I would much rather go to the theater than go to L'eCole at 5:45, an hour that NO NYer would eat, esp. on a Sat. night unless they were going to the theater.
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 06:49 PM

If I had that limited time, I'd do the Hop on HOp off bus tour. IT is the best use of time and you can get off where every you want. Every time I go with new friends, we just stay on the bus and do the whole circuit once. The ticket is for 48 hours so your could do one route the first day and one route the second day.. It also includes a night ride ...very enjoyable.

you will still have time for other important things, like the Empire State Building etc.

Have fun.
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 09:26 PM

I agree skip chinatown unless you are into knockoff coach/gucci/prada bags. I never have found a restaurant there that I would go back to. I would also skip the empire state building. The line is awful and the view isn't all that..maybe i have done it too many times. Top of the rock a definate better choice.you can do that at night , with all of the lights is beautiful!! Combine that with a walk through rock. center. I would see a show if at all possible. YOu can get online and buy tickets discounted if you don't want to pay full price. I think one of the places I got half off tickets was broadway box.com

It truly is the city that never sleeps and if i only had 2 days I wouldn't sleep!! Eat the pizza!!!!
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 09:45 PM

http://broadwaybox.com/
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 03:44 AM

So it occurs to me we've all dumped on your existing plans but haven't offered alternatives much. Here's what I might do in 2 days.

Sat.

10 am go to Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center. Have a look, walk a bit of Fifth Ave. up to Central Park.
Then head west to Pier 78 for a 90 minute cruise at noon with a guide from the NY Historical Society
http://www.nywaterway.com/tour/nyhar...-society.shtml
I know they sell food but don't allow you to bring any so you either need to eat before you go, buy theirs or eat after. (If that tour doesn't work out for you, the same co. does another 90 min. tour at other times of the day)

After the cruise, if you want to go to the theater on Sat. night, head to the South STreet Seaport TKTS booth (which opens earlier than the one in Times Square and is less crowded). YOu need cash for tickets. After purchasing your tickets, consider taking a subway over to Brooklyn and walking back to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge.

By that time, you'll need to go to your hotel and freshen up and maybe have dinner before the show (or if you don't mind eating late, eat after). After the theater, perhaps stop in to Don't Tell Mama, a piano bar on west 46 st.

On Sunday, head to the WTC site and stop into St. Paul's cathedral. Then do any shopping you might want or if no shopping, I'd head to Central Park and have a walk around there.

Good luck! Where are you staying?

Old Jul 8th, 2007, 04:53 AM

A second on the hop-on-hop-off bus . . we were there last month with the grandmonster and she thought that gave her a great feel for NYC. She loved the Top of the Rock and Wicked.

If you go the bus tour, they have two rates . . one day and two day. The two day is the better bargan.

Rich
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 06:11 AM

I agree with people who say it makes more sense to explore the city than to do the cruise. The Hop on/hop off bus is probably a better way to get an overview.

There are lots of things to see in lower Manhattan besides the WTC site. I recommend Ellis Island. The Lower East Side tenement museum is also fascinating as is the area around it, especially on sunday morning.
http://www.tenement.org/index.htm
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 09:44 AM

Yes, forgot about Ellis Island if you have time to do that it's a wonderful trip...you can see the statue of liberty on the way out. I wouldn't stop if you are on a time crunch.

We actually did that the last time when we took the kids. Like the other posters have said, walk across the bridge, eat your pizza and if you have time take the train to get back for the show, if not or you are too tired from all of that walking grab a cab.

If you like bagels find H and H bagels (i always bring 2 dozen home with me!!)

Gotta do a cab ride....can be an exhilerating experience!!! Have fun... I am so envious.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone! mclaurie: We're staying at the Wellington Hotel close to Times Square and Central Park.

It sounds like there are definitely better alternatives to what we were envisioning. Thank you especially for the itinerary ideas. I can't wait to be there!
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 04:48 PM

NY has so many things to offer and what you will want to do depends so much on the kinds of things you enjoy. However, if I had not been to NY before and only had two days (and not even full days), I'd want to really walk around the city and get a feel for the people and every day sites.

My suggested itinerary:

Walk from hotel up to Central Park and through the park. Leave the park to go see the Metropolitan Museum. If you have time to take in at least one gallery, do it, but at a minimum, walk through the lobby.

Walk down 5th Avenue and go into St Patrick's Cathedral. Go to Rockefeller Center and take a visit to the Top of the Rock (you can do this part first thing if you want and just reverse the walk so you end up strolling through Central Park.

Take a cab to Chinatown and have a late lunch/early dinner there. (I'd actually eat in midtown, but if you want to go to Chinatown, this would be a good time, and not too long)

Go down to the southern part of Manhattan and take the Staten Island ferry roundtrip for some nice views of the Statue of Liberty and the southern tip of Manhattan. Go from there to the WTC site and then walk through the Wall Street area (it should be pretty empty on the weekend, but still fun to see, and some historic sites as well). Walk to the South Street Seaport and through the fish market. I'd have dinner there, but you could take a cab back to near your hotel and have dinner there.

The next day I'd do the bus tour if you're interested, but otherwise, I'd walk up to the west side and have brunch at a cafe on the west side. Walk through the Lincoln Center complex and by the Museum of Natural History.

It's a lot of walking and you'll be exhausted, but with a limited amount of time, I'd want to spend a lot of it just on the street seeing the people and the sites.

Of course, some people would prefer to see one Broadway play, spend a few hours at a museum or take in a concert at Lincoln Center, and all of those would be wonderful too. But if your time is limited, find the things you think you'd enjoy the most and do those first.

Old Jul 10th, 2007, 01:41 PM

My fav restaurant for asian fusion, hot scene and reasonably priced food (about $50 pp with drinks) is Tao. Check it out online, it is amazing! But if you go, you must book early!
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 02:22 PM

also agree with skipping chinatown. agree with the SI ferry. free and really fun if you get one of the old boats (from the movies/videos) (I grew up in SI). and also agree with central park. don't want to stress yourselves out with such short time. do a show, if you really enjoy them. (i think most are a bore, but...)

never did those buses, but see them everywhere. (live in greenwich village). go to the world trade and walk to the water. marina there and sailboat to go on, if you wish. see what the weather is like. NY is fairly empty on weekend in summer. nice. but that NY waterway boat trip is nice. would try to have a drink at the rainbow room, or top of hte rock at rock center, too, when it is dark. Mclaurie's plan sounds good. hope you have a great time!
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 08:35 PM

I second the idea of Double Decker tour. Also I personally love Chinatown just for the sheer fun of shopping for the bargains and getting some good Chinese food. Also you might enjoy Serendipty's. Look it up on the web...The stars frequent the place. The double decker will take you to the WWTC and many other popular sites. It also includes an evening lights tour that is nice. Defo...try to see a show. That will be the highlight of your trip.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Hi, everyone

We've returned from NYC and had a wonderful time! We went to the WTC, took the SI ferry, walked through Central Park, stopped into the Metropolitan Museum, walked up 5th Ave, went to Chinatown, saw a show (Chicago- and got our tickets at the TKTS booth for 50% off--Thanks for the tip!), and walked through Times Square at night.

I'm still exhausted, but I can't wait to get back. Thank you, everyone, for your great advice!