Seeking NYC Locals' Suggestions for Special Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flying into LaGuardia May 24 for a very special anniversary trip, and our first trip together in the Big Apple. I'm looking for some suggestions from locals on how to make the most of our four days/five nights.

We are staying at the Beacon, based on locale and price, plus the fact that they have kitchenettes where can have our oj and coffee to wake up and going every morning. Are there any interesting restaurants, bars or shops in the area that we shouldn't miss? It would be nice to have a couple of good recommendations for dinner near the hotel.

Does anyone have iteneray suggestions based on this sightseeing wish list?
*Central Park, including John Lennon site
*Museum of Natural History
*Coney Island and walking the Brooklyn Bridge
*Statue of Liberty (go inside or not?)
*Soho, Greenwich Village
*Picking up cheap last-minute tickets to a play
*Festival in Washington Square on Memorial Day weekend

We plan to use the subway and do lots of walking, which we always enjoy.

I am so excited about this trip -- thanks in advance!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 03:38 PM

The Beacon is in my neighborhood and there are definitely restaurants nearby - it just depends on what you prefer. Cesca is great Italian and has a great wine list and bar area for lounging. Citrus is a very trendy restaurant with very good Asian and Latin American fusion food. Ouest and Aix are consistenly sited as the best in the neighborhood (make reservations!). Land is good for cheaper casual Thai and Bertola for Italian wood oven pizzas if you want a couple places easier on the wallet. For brunch, try Sarabeths (not on a weekend, or be prepared to wait), and Good Enough to Eat Cafe.

As far as your itin., you could easily pair up the Natural History musuem and the central park tour during the same day. You could also probably manage to get discount tix the same day as you will be uptown.

I would do one day of soho, wash sq park, and the village (try Cafe Ino for lunch!).

Walking across Brooklyn Bridge is a great idea, but I'm not sure I would go to Coney Island if you only have 5 days (unless there is some special reason you want to go).

If you are here on a Friday night AND the weather ever warms up you should take one of the antique sailboats sunset cruises and see the statue of liberty and the city lights. It's quite beautiful.

Good luck!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 03:46 PM

For show tickets go to broadwaybox.com which lists all those offering discounts. Take the discount coupon to the show's regular on-line ticket seller and you can get discount tickets in advance - better choice of seats and don;t waste valuable time here standing on line.

Not sure if Coney Island rides are running yet when you're here. I wold check the web site to see what date they start.

There are tons of good inexpensive restaurants all up and down Broadway, Amsterdam and Columbus.

Don't know you budget but Ocean, Isabella's and Nice Matin are reliable. But- you can find anything you like in that area.

I would not bother to go inside the Statue of Liberty - but do the Ellis Island Immigation Museum in the same amount of time - it's brilliant.

You may want to ride bikes or rent a boat in the park. And the Boathouse is a great place for a casuale meal.

And don't miss Zabar's (B'way & 80th) - even if you don;t buy anything. But they have great salads, sandwiches and even heatable meals to go - as well as incredible deli of all types.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:58 AM

You've gotten great advice. I agree Ellis Island is worth a visit but it is time consuming with lines and security and given your wish list, not nec. practical for your time frame. I think it is interesting to see the small museum inside the statue, but again, going there (vs. just passing by in the Staten Island ferry or a cruise) is pretty time consuming. You don't mention what time you arrive on Thurs., but if it's early enough, maybe consider a Harbor Lights cruise which will pass the Statue and show the city as it lights up. The Circle Line does one
http://www.circleline42.com/index.ih...ge=sightseeing
but there are also some more romantic options like a sunset sail or cruise from these people which leaves from Chelsea Piers. I think this may be what jenny19 meant
http://sail-nyc.com/

The free way to see the statue is by riding the Staten Island ferry which is also an option.

Coney Island is more than an hour's ride on the subway. Since you didn't ask whether or not to go (a frequent question) I won't try to dissuade you. A lot of it will be torn down soon I hear, so maybe it is worth a look. Not sure if it would be better to go on the weekend when rides might be running and there'd be some activity or on Fri. when it will be quieter. Once you're there, you can take the subway from Coney Island to get to the Brooklyn side of the bridge (take the F train from Coney Island to Jay St. and change to the A train for 1 stop to Clark St.) Hopstop.com is a good tool to help you get around on subway and buses.

Don't know if you're into pizza, but there's a pizza tour in Brooklyn. I've heard it's very good and they take you to see Coney Island. This might be another way to "do" Brooklyn. http://bknypizza.com/

The art festival in Washington Square is in Greenwich Village (didn't know if you realized that) so you can do Soho/village and see the art show. As mentioned above, you can do the Mus. of Nat. History (not far from your hotel) with Central Park but ofcourse, it's also easy to spend a day in the park if the weather's nice. The "Imagine" mosaic and Strawberry Fields in memory of John Lennon is right near your hotel. If you enter on CPW and 72 st. you're not far. The Dakota, where he lived, is right there on the north corner of 72 st. http://www.centralpark2000.com/products/map/map_67w.htm

Agree using broadwaybox.com discounts either in advance (phoning is sometimes better for best seats) or when you get to town is a good idea. Some of the discounts are not good for Sat. night performances, so if that's when you want to go, the TKTS booth may be your best option. There are 2 booths- the well known one in Times Square (it's on the side of the Marriott Marquis hotel now) and the less well known one across from the South STreet Seaport that's usually much less crowded. Details here tdf.org/tkts

You've gotten good advice already on restaurants. You're not far from the famous Gray's Papaya for hot dogs (Broadway & 72 st). They are truly terrific (imo) and cheap!

One of the new "it" restaurants right now is Telepan, not far from your hotel. It's hard to get a reservation but since many locals go away for Memorial weekend, it should be easier to get a table. They also do a nice brunch. http://www.telepan-ny.com/

I'd also suggest that if you go to the theater, you might prefer eating near it to avoid a last minute rush. I'd also sugest eating a dinner in another neighborhood (the village, Chelsea, Soho etc.) Menupages.com is a good website for research. Happy Anniversary!
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 06:35 AM

I would not waste my time on that pizza tour. You can easily just hop off the train on your way to Coney Island and go to Di Fara or L&B. (Astroland is only open on weekends while you're here). There is a very romantic story attached to the Wonder Wheel so I think it's nice for a special trip. The Aquarium is also a lot of fun and right next door.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Wow, this is great and exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for. Thanks so much, jenny19,nytraveler,mclaurie and Dohlice!

We are roller coaster/historic theme park lovers, so Coney Island is a must, especially since it's going to be changing soon. I guess we'll have to go there on Saturday to make sure we get the most out of it. I read in another thread that one of the trains gives you a view of the Brooklyn Bridge -- which one is that and is it one that we can take to Coney Island?

Hubby doesn't eat pizza, but I do and defintely want to have some of that famous New York style. Can someone suggests a place where I could have that and he could have something like veal or chicken piccatta?

I will check out websites for the restaurants mentioned and also broadwaybox.com. Thanks for the advice about the ticket boxes, too.

I think Friday would be a good day for the park, the natural history museum and maybe a play, as suggested.

Saturday could be Coney Island, and maybe walking the bridge. Any suggestions for Saturday night that would mesh well with a Coney Island day?

This is going to be great trip...

Old Apr 17th, 2007, 08:44 AM

Doesn't like pizza? I don't understand?

There's a place in Coney Island called Totonno's but I don't know if they have a full menu there. It's unlikely you could get that at Di Fara. You can definitely get it at L&B Spumoni Gardens. You might have to change trains, but you'll never have a square like they make! You're going to Nathan's aren't you? Let him fill up on hot dogs. haha. You can find all three of the brooklyn places with directions on newyork.citysearch.com. I love when people include Brooklyn in their trip!!!

As far as what to do on Saturday night - I don't think I'd plan for a big meal because you should really eat your way through the borough. I'd like a sports bar with the Yankee game. Maybe Mickey Mantle's.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 08:56 AM

Well, we aren't exaclty looking for romance (family of 5 with kids ages 16, 14 and 11) and the pizza tour sounds like lots of fun! Thanks for the tip.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 09:10 AM

Have a look at the web site for the Coney Island amusement park:

www.astroland.com

They operate only on the weekends until June10th.

Be prepared for a very 1940's experience - nothing even remotely modern. Your kids will probably be laughing their heads off.

And as long as you're all the way out there you might want to check out the aquarium - just down the boardwalk.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Well, I'm leaving in the morning and just reviewing your posts. I have a couple of last-minute questions:

1. Is it OK to ask a cabbie how much fare will be to a specific location? We will take a cab from LaGuardia to the Beacon and accoring to a website I check it should be a little over $20. I just don't want to get ripped off.

2. What subway route from the Beacon area will give us a view of the Brooklyn Bridge on our way to Coney Island?

Thanks again for your gracious help!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:24 AM

1)The driver can't tell you the price in advance b/c it's based on the meter which will depend on traffic. The ride should cost $20-35. Whatever the meter says, you should add a 15-20% tip and there will probably be a $4 toll. Make sure to stand in line for an official yellow medallion taxi. Do NOT accept a ride from anyone who approaches you, regardless of how good the offer sounds.

2) Do you know about hopstop.com? It give you directions b/w any 2 points. The line(s) with the view of the Brooklyn Bridge are the Q and the N. YOu should take the 2 train headed downtown (and to Brooklyn College) from 72 st & Broadway, get out and transfer at 42 st & Times Square to the N (or Q) train to Coney Island. Get out at Coney Island/Stillwell Ave. hopstop will give you detailed instructions.

There's also a nice view of the ocean on the Q train b/w Coney Island and Brighton Beach.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, mclaurie!

Off to pack...
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to thank everyone again for the advice. We had a great time in NYC. Hotel Beacon was the perfect location for us. We loved the neighborhood and shopping at Fairway grocery across the street for snacks to keep in the little refrigerator in our room. Lots of people apparently live in the Beacon, which I thought was interesting.

We tried two of your restaurant suggestions in the neighborhood-- Isabella's (great crab cake appetizer) and Nice Matin (loved the St. Tropez cocktail.) Both places were great, with nice streetside tables.

Our adventures included: Coney Island (with Nathan's hot dog and fantastic fries, plus rides on the Wonder Wheel, Spookarama and Cyclone); Greenwich Village (great dessert at Cafe Dante); Soho, Chinatown, Little Italy, Pier 17 (just another mall, IMO, but nice water views; Zabar's; State of Liberty via Staten Island Ferry; Empire State Building; Times Square at night/cheesy comedy club at Charly-O's;Ground Zero; Central Park (the obelisk, Stawberry Fields, carousel ride, literary walk); the Dakota; and the Museum of Natural History.

There were street festivals everywhere and we had some interesting food, including a Transylvanian chimney cake and coconut milk straight from the nut. Just walking around and looking was incredible.

We loved New York! Thanks again!

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 10:09 AM

Sounds like an outstanding trip!