COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Tucson Accomodations

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Tucson Accomodations

We're flying into Tucson a little late in the eve in a few weeks. I'm not familiar with Tucson at all and wondering... where would you stay that would not be a terrible drive from the airport? Basically we'd be using the room for sleeping and showering for a couple of nights, but it would be great if we could have mountain views (not possible without driving for quite a distance, right?) Looked at Hilton and Sheraton, but these are near city without views, right? I guess my question is this (before I just book the "tried and true"): is there a nice, quiet, out of the city place to stay for a couple of nights within 30 minute drive from the airport.

(jeeze I feel like I'm asking a really stupid question... thank you for not making fun of me)
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 05:02 PM

Try the Marriott Starr Pass. It would be probably 20 minutes or less from the airport (maybe a bit longer, if you don't know where you are going.

http://www.starrpassmarriott.com/
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Mike... I forgot about this one.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 05:45 PM

When you come out of the airport follow Kino Parkway (it turns into Campbell Road) - follow Campbell to River Road (about 30 min. from a/p). There is a hotel called Windmill Inn in St. Phillips Plaza at River & Campbell. We used it to put out of town guests in when I worked at the University and they all loved it. Quite a few places to eat nearby (PF Changs, Sullivan's Steakhouse, Ovens, etc. plus if you go up a couple of miles to Campbell and Sunrise there are more places to eat, La Encantada Mall, etc. The Windmill Inn is all 2 room suites and the location is in the Foothills.

The Starr Pass Marriot is lovely, but it is not convenient to anything at all. Great if you just want to stay at a resort all day but not convenient to go anyplace to eat, etc.

Almost everyplace in Tucson has a view, the city is surrounded by mountains, but some locations are simply closer to the mountains then others. If you are looking for a resort in the Foothills then you might get a good price at the Westin La Paloma or Loew's Ventana Canyon this time of the year. The Hilton El Conquistador is in Oro Valley (Tucson suburb)and backs up against Pusch Ridge (mountains). The views from these resorts are all quite lovely. The Westward Look Resort also gets favorable reviews - it is an older resort but has undergone extensive remodeling from what I hear. It's on Ina Road just east of Oracle Rd. and has views out over the city. All of these hotels are near places to eat, stores, etc.

Out of the city could mean pretty far Tucson stretches 40 miles in all directions.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 05:48 PM

One thing I forgot to mention is that we will soon be starting our "monsoon season" here in Tucson. That means heavy rains late in the afternoon, thunder, lightening, flooded streets and power outages. The humidity is also rather high during that time of the year so if you are expecting that "dry heat" everyone talks about it may not happen ... now today was 108 (ugh).
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Lori... I'll check it out. We are staying at Loews later in the week for an extended stay... We're arriving early for a couple of days, but then planning to run up to Scottsdale to vist friends for a few day before returning to Tucson and the Loews. We're just looking for something a little more convenient while we are doing our "running around," yet we don't want to stay in a city location.

I appreciate you comments!
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 10:50 AM

Check out the Lodge at Ventana Canyon. We stayed there in February and it was one of the best vacations we ever had. Sort of like a little country club with rooms. Actually, that's what it is. Check it out. Gorgeous views
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 05:22 PM

Besides Loews Ventana (which is close to my house and just beautiful!) I'd suggest two wonderful historic properties, Hacienda Del Sol and The Arizona Inn. They're both fabulous and lovely. Here are their websites:

www.haciendadelsol.com
www.arizonainn.com

These would be a nice "contrast" to the much newer Loews Ventana.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your stay in the "dry heat" of Tucson!
Carol
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 05:29 PM

Check www.biddingfortravel.com and bid on Priceline.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 02:52 PM
RobertNYC

This is my first message, so aplogies if I do something wrong.

I have a reservation at the Marriott Starr Pass for next weekend (July 7-10).

Two questions:

1. Is this your "monsoon season" as someone hinted above? If so, should I cancel my trip?

2. Is this hotel in the mountains or facing the mountains? My girlfriend loves mountain views.

Thanks for the advice!

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 03:03 PM

We stayed earlier this month at the Westward Look, thanks to a recco from MikePinTucson. Our room was a mini-suite facing the hummingbird garden and quite nice. I wanted a smaller resort as i've stayed in too many of the humongous properties for work and prefer not seeing suits when on vaca(i didn't). Liked the location, close to the sites, restaurants and highway.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 03:05 PM

Oops - wanted to add ~ the resort was not ON the highway, but a short (5 mile?) drive TO the highway.

On the contrary, one of the highlights of this resort are the walking paths, cactus, flower and herb gardens.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 03:13 PM

RobertNYC,

Yes, our monsoon season is just starting. But that doesn't mean you should cancel. Usually, the monsoon thunderstorms roll through in late afternoon, 4:00 to sunset. They can be very violent, with lot of lightning and severe downpours. But it also makes for some beautiful sunsets. Just remember, if you are out hiking and you see any big clouds forming or hear any thunder, make sure you are not in a low-lying area. We do get some flash flooding.

The Starr Pass Marriott is in the Tucson Mountains, west of downtown. If you haven't been to their website, here it is.

http://www.starrpassmarriott.com/index.asp

So you will be kind of in the mountains (not high mountains) and you will be able to see the other mountain ranges from the resort.

Ellen -- glad you enjoyed your stay.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 03:32 PM

Robert, there is no need to cancel your trip, but if you are around Tucson driving about during a monsoon be very very careful. Like MikeP I also live in Tucson and I know how quickly certain streets flood during storms. You do not want to try and ride through water, trust me on that. If you see barriers do not go around them.

You will no doubt experience a little higher humidity they we normally have, since our monsoons have started we generally do not have it as "dry" as usual. We just had some rain a few minutes ago as a matter of fact and it's kind of sticky outside.

The monsoons can be violent on one end of town and absolutely nothing on another so pay strict attention to the sky/clouds in the late afternoon. I imagine a monsoon can be quite pretty to watch from the pool terrace at Starr Pass but quite another story if you are caught driving in one.

Starr Pass is in some low mountains, there are very nice views from over there but the ride from I-10 to the hotel itself is not the world's prettiest. Personally I do not like the area and while I do like the hotel I would not stay there. It is just too far to most places in town (shopping, eating).
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 02:35 PM
RobertNYC

Ellen,

Thanks for your advice.

Lori,

May I trouble you with another question? (I hope this is not considered a "thread hijacking.")

Are there areas of Tucson I should avoid because of crime?

Thanks again

Old Jun 30th, 2006, 03:28 PM

Robert, regarding crime - well, I would not hang out in most of what is called South Tucson/Barrio, particularly at night. Most places tourists go to are fine tho (just remember, it is a city and while it may not look like an East Coast city crime is alive and well here like everywhere else). This is MY opinion only, but I am a little uneasy with some of the streets in the area between I-10 and Starr Pass. Starr Pass itself is great, but ... getting to it is not anywhere near as nice as one of the Foothill resort hotels (Loew's Ventana, Westin LaPaloma, Westward Look, or Hilton El Conquistador). Again, these are my thoughts only.

I live in the Northwest (Oro Valley) section of Tucson and rarely have a reason to go into downtown, and probably would not go at night.

There are areas around Stone Ave. (and not far from the University) where homeless frequent the park areas, etc. This is common in most cities however.

There are areas along I-10 (Benson Highway) where there are old 1950's style motels where the city puts up some crimminal element types (those "in transition" .. again this is no place a tourist would have a reason to be (unless lost).

I grew up in NYC and I sure do remember places that we did not go to, it's the same everywhere. Just use common sense.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 04:29 PM

Hello from New York City.

Just for the record, things are a bit different here. This is now the safest big city in America.