Where to stay in Tucson

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 09:16 AM
aaa

Where to stay in Tucson

We will be visiting Tucson in late March. I am having a difficult time deciding where to stay. I am considering the Embassy on Broadway, Doubletree Suites and Hampton Inn Suites-Tucson Mall. We will have two teenagers with us so I think we need a two room suite. Any suggestions?

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 10:22 AM
patg

please check out La Tierra Linda resort at latierralinda.com.

We stayed there about 18 months ago, and it is really charming and different, tucked into the foothills but only about five-ten minutes away from NW Tucson shopping and restaurants. Of the places you mentioned, I know the Embassy is right on a busy street with a shopping mall ambiance. I think the others are similar.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 10:46 AM
Linda

As someone who lives in Tucson I'd not recommend either of your choices. Check out the Windmill Inn at St. Phillip's Plaza (River Rd & Campbell), it is a very nice place. We put our company guests there and everyone loves it. All rooms are actually two room suites and it's in a lovely little plaza with stores and a couple of places to eat (Vivace, Ovens, etc). Several more places to eat right at River & Campbell including PF Chang's and Sullivan's. Cafe Terra Cotta is not far either.

The Hampton Inn you mention is not exactly at the Mall - it's about 3 miles north of it on Oracle Rd. They cater to the Sonoran (Mexico) trade a great deal. That is not a bad thing,I am just mentioning it because sometimes people are surprised or uncomfortable at the number of guests there who speak Spanish. The hotel is heavily marketed to the Mexican trade. I don't know about Embassy Suites, but Viscount Suites on Broadway also markets heavily to the Sonoran trade. Again, this is not bad and I am not critical of it, but it you come from an area where Spanish is not heard all the time (it is in Tucson) you may find it a bit uncomfortable.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 04:50 PM
nomas

I would just like to know what there is to do in Tucson...I spent 3 days there while my wife played tennis in Randolph park....me and some of the other husbands drove around for 3 days and didn't see much. Good Luck aaa and I hope you enjoy your stay.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Kameha

Bummer nomas! You should have researched the area. Tucson has an incredible Desert Museum, lots of hiking options - Sabino Canyon, Tanque Verde Falls to name two. Mt. Lemmon is 45 minutes away and you can play in snow if that's your thing. Some nice shops and galleries - Obsidian, etc. And Tucson is lucky to have numerous wonderful restaurants.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 05:43 PM
nomas

I do have to admit there was a really nice restaurant....can't remember the name of it..Mexican food..Nice patio with a wall around it..I would highly recomend. There are probably 50 restaurants though like what I just described! Randolph Park was a nice golf course. We stayed at the Doubletree at Reid park....Avoid it!!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:13 AM
Pati

Someone here mentioned Residence Inn by Marriott on Speedway Blvd. Do you think this is a decent place to stay? It would be nice to have a kitchen and I know that every Residence Inn has one
T

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:30 AM
bj

We just returned from a great Christmas week in Tucson. We stayed at the Omni Tucson International Resort and had a lovely hacienda with living room kitchen, separate king bedroom and giant dressing room/bathroom. Lovely resort and I would recommend contacting them directly to see if you can get a good rate (we did!). Desert Sonoran Museum was very enjoyable as was the shuttle bus up and the walk down Sabino Canyon. Nogales and Tubac made a nice day trip and the Pima Air Museum was a nice stop for the guys. Have fun.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 09:41 AM
E.

I second the suggestion of the Windmill--I've stayed there twice, and it was great both times. Excellent location, too.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:41 PM
ttt

Author: Pati ([email protected])
Date: 01/07/2003, 09:13 am
Message: Someone here mentioned Residence Inn by Marriott on Speedway Blvd. Do you think this is a decent place to stay? It would be nice to have a kitchen and I know that every Residence Inn has one

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 04:32 PM
aaa

Thanks for all of the great comments. We are now leaning strongly toward the Windmill. The price looks right too. La Tierra looks great, but I think more services and price than what we are looking for. I still have a bit of time, so if there are any other comments, they would be very much appreciated.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 05:42 PM
aaa

Does anyone have any experience with the Sheraton Tucson Hotel and Suites?

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Kameha

Both the Sheraton and the Marriott Residence are fine properties in fine locations, but a little more out of the way. Sheraton is on Grant Road - a busy road during rush hour, near a major hospital. Residence Inn is further East on Speedway. Speedway is a convenient street to use to get through town, and the location of this Inn at Speedway/Wilmot is convenient for heading up to Mt. Lemmon or out to Tanque Verde Falls area for hiking, or to Sabino Canyon. It's on the opposite end of town to the Desert Museum and Old Tucson. Hope that helps.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Fines

Well, I was in Tucson four months ago for the first time. I did not like the city very much, it was really creepy (X-Files). The first night there, my fiancee and I got some snacks and then locked ourselves in the motel room for the night. We stayed at the Flamingo, a decent place, reallt cheap. We did enjoy ourselves outside of the city. Try: Saguaro Park, Tombstone, Bisbee.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Me

If it was the Flamingo I'm thinking of it is in the red light district so to speak. It's a real scuzzy neighborhood and one most people would not chose to stay in. I also know Tucson, I live and work there. If the lost poster thought the city was creepy it was because he was in such a lousy area (and all cities have them). All the other hotels mentioned in this thread have been in nice to very nice neighorboods.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Kameha

I agree with Me, the last poster. Too bad Fines didn't research the area at all. Bad choice of places to stay. Tucson really is beautiful.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Don

aaa,

The Sheraton Tucson Hotel and Suites on Grant Road is a place we'd happily stay again. (Got it via Priceline for less than $50/night.)

The room was pretty much what you'd expect for a 3* on Priceline, but what made it really worthwhile was the free buffet breakfast. Eggs, sausage or ham, fried potatoes, oatmeal, bagels/toast, fruit salad, pastries, three kinds of cereal, milk, orange and cranberry juice, and coffee were available from 6:30 to 9:30/10:00 a.m.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 07:38 AM
Linda

I just got my laugh of the day, I cannot believe anyone would actually stay at the Flamingo Motel as one poster said he did.
As "Me" said it is in a seedy part of town, homeless around, hookers, bars, rather a unpleasant area all the way around (altho the Community College is just down the Street and the UofA is not far). Trust me there are lots of lovely hotels in Tucson (and a number of great places to eat too) so please don't judge Tucson by what the Flamingo guest said. Yes, there are some really ugly areas but most people would not choose them to vacation in.

Old Feb 5th, 2003, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for nomas, what didn't you like about the Doubletree @ Reid Park? Looking into it for a stay in March, Windmill is full.

Wendy
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I plan to use Priceline to stay in Tucson this summer. What are the sections of town to specify to get a nice area?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information