Resort Near Tucson

Jul 25th, 2000, 07:38 AM
Marsha

Resort Near Tucson

I'm looking at resorts near Tucson. Any recommendatoins? Has anyone stayed at the Westard Look Resort?
Thanks.

Jul 25th, 2000, 08:31 AM
John

Westward Look is sort of shabby and run down. The restaurant is one of the best in Tucson, but that's about all. If you want a full service resort, I suggest you try the Westin La Paloma or the Sheraton El Conquistador. Both are nice resorts on the edge of town. I prefer the Sheraton. If you are going to golf, the Sheraton has four golf courses (two at the country club it owns, which the hotel provides a shuttle for).

The most luxurious hotel in Tucson is the Loews Ventana Canyon. The only bad part about Ventana is that it is way out in the boonies, near the oldest part of Tucson.

Jul 25th, 2000, 09:29 AM
jwagner

I spent a week at Westward Look last fall and thought it was terrific. We enjoyed the food, the helpful staff, the location, everything. I don't know if I am not as particular as some about my lodging but I would have a hard time describing it as "run down."

Jul 25th, 2000, 03:28 PM
Meggie

I live in Tucson and would hardly call the Westward Look run down. We but business clients there occasionally and they all seem to like it just fine and tell me how nice it is. The Gold Room is one of the best restuarants in town. As for John saying the Loew's Ventana Canyon Resort is out in the boonies and an old part of town he has his hotels mixed up or something.. The Ventana is in a very upscale area in the Catalina Foothills, overlooking the city, it's surrounded by very expensive homes. It is not in an old part of town at all, in fact it's rapidly building up all over the place near it. It's a deluxe hotel with the very expensive "Ventana Room" restuarant (as well as several others). The Westin La Paloma is on Skyline Rd, and looks out over the city as well. It's quite a nice resort. The Sheraton El Conquistador is actually in Oro Valley, somewhat out of Tucson actually. It's a lovely resort hotel with several nice restuarants. All have golf, tennis, etc. if that interests you. All 3 resorts are quite expensive during the winter months but have good summer rates (of course it is pretty hot here in the summer). The only hotel that comes to mind in an old part of town is The Arizona Inn which is really a lovely older place (dates back to the 1930's I believe). The hotel is expensive and has nice grounds, but it is not in the same league as Ventana for example. It's near the University of Arizona and the University Medical School and Hospital. The food in the dining room there is very good and there is a nice "old world" feeling to eating there.

Jul 25th, 2000, 03:32 PM
Meggie

Forgot to mention the Westward Look is close to The Tucson Mall (large mall with umpteen stores) and also the Foothills Mall (smaller mall with "discount" stores, i.e. Off 5th (SAKS), Mikasa, etc.

Jul 25th, 2000, 05:09 PM
Jenna

I'll try to resolve some of the debate. Stayed at Westward Look not long ago. I'm particular about hotels. It wasn't run down. It's just that it's like stepping back 15-20 years. The rooms are not current in their styling and were obviously very nice in their day. The palce just isn't too competitive with what's currently out there. Nice setting, though. Haven't eaten there.
Loews Vantana Canyon is among the best in Tucson, along with El Conq and La Paloma. I really liked Loews for its pool, hiking trails in nearby Sabeno Canyon, golf and restaurant.
Unless prices were dramatically cheaper at Westward Look (like 70% less) I couldn't see staying there again compared to the others.

Jul 26th, 2000, 09:31 AM
John

Perhaps I mispoke in calling Westward Look run down. I would reclassify it as badly in need of being updated. The buildings are older and it is definitely like Jenna said: stepping back in time.

I don't think I said Ventana was in the old part, but NEAR it. It is closer to the older part of town where the Sunset (or something like that) shopping center is. It is by far the most luxurious, and definitely surrounded by a deluxe housing development.

As to El Conquistador, it is not that far from town. It is on the border of Oro Valley and Tucson, and is in fact the closest of any of the resorts mentioned here to the Tucson Mall and the Foothills Mall. It only takes me 15 minutes to drive from the El Conquistador to the Tucson Mall, and 10 minutes to the Foothills Mall.

I have stayed at ventana, Sheraton, and Westin. For activities I would choose the Sheraton; for luxury it's the Ventana. When we stayed at the Westin, we thought the menu was a bit limited; that may have changed in recent years. No matter where I stay, though, we always make a trip to the Gold Room at Westward Look (although service was a bit spotty this year) and the Ventana Room (by far the best in Tucson).

Jul 26th, 2000, 02:45 PM
Pete

I live near Tucson and have to say I think John has his places mixed up too, or else he was not paying close attention while in town (too much sun perhaps). The Westward Look is an odler resort and perhaps is in need of updating, but it's not shabby and run down. The Ventana Canyon is not in an old part of town or even remotely close to the old part of town. This remark puzzles me. I work in the old part of town and look out at the Catalina Mountains, the Ventana is in the foothills there, no where near the old part of town, or even an older part of town. The nearest large shopping center to Ventana would probably be Park Mall at Broadway & Wilmot, which has just undergone extensive renovation. I would have to say that the Westward Look is much closer to the Tucson Mall and Foothills Mall than is the Sheraton in Oro Valley. From the Westward Look you can go a very short distance on Ina Rd. make a left on Oracle Rd. and go about 4/5 miles to the Tucson Mall. To the Foothills Mall you go straight across Ina Rd. to LaCholla - a matter of maybe 3 miles. Definitely closer than the Sheraton to the malls. Perhaps it's time for John to refresh his memory and revisit Tucson.

Oct 5th, 2000, 10:47 AM
Bill

We're going to Tuscon for the first time, during the week between Christmas and New Years, and we decided on the Westward Look. Got a decent write-up in the guidebooks, and we don't need 5-star accommodations. It was a plus for us that it DIDN'T have of golf course, because we don't play golf. It DOES have horses and mountain bikes for rent, which should be fun at that time of year. Also 3 heated pools.
I'm puzzled by Jenna's comment that it would only be a worthwhile place to stay if the price were 70% less than the other resorts. Do you mean 30%?
Question: What's the best New Year's Eve celebration for a family with kids (boys, 12 and 15)?

Oct 5th, 2000, 12:17 PM
ellen griswold

My vote is for the Westin La Paloma. I have been there for two National Meetings with my company and also with my family.

It was a wonderful place for a meeting! More importantly though, we were treated with equal courtesy and excellent care when we spent a STEAMY, summer night there on one of our western vacations with our kids. To this working mom, that is a sign of true class.

Jan 2nd, 2001, 12:37 PM
Bill

We just got back from Tucson, staying six nights at the Westward Look. Very nice resort in an excellent location in the foothills north of town. It's very easy to get to any other area of the city and even easier to get out to the north (we drove up to see Biosphere 2... pretty cool!)
The rooms were reasonably large, with a generous sitting area separate from the sleeping area and a patio with a great view. Cost was $199/night during Christmas week. Very nice heated pools and spas, excellent tennis, a lot of nature trails with massive cactuses (ok, cacti) all around. I meant to check out Westin La Paloma and Lowe's Ventana but never got around to it.
E-mail me if you want suggestions about things to do in Tuscon. (We concentrated on relaxing, seeing the desert and canyons, shopping for Mexican and Indian crafts, and eating Mexican food - not necessarily in that order.)

Jan 2nd, 2001, 12:48 PM
neal

had a wonderful stay over New Year's 2 years ago at the Lazy K Bar. Riding every day, hot tubs at night. Decent food; nothing to rave about. Pretty low key, not a lot of amenities.

Feb 13th, 2004, 07:56 AM

Hi. Can anyone tell me which resort in Tucson has the best spa? I'm looking for something with a real desert atmosphere (Westward Look Spa looks great on their website). I won't be staying at the resort, which rules out Canyan Ranch and Miraval.