Trip to Connecticut/new york

Old May 5th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Trip to Connecticut/new york

Have just booked a holiday for 22nd October thinking of litchfield hills area for about 4 days touring and 2/3 days seeing some of new york sights. I know its not long but any advice about what to see on our travels.
We would also like to know is it possible to do some sort of organized tour of NY city sights as we don't have long. or is it very doable on foot.
Old May 5th, 2007, 03:55 PM

For NYC: With only a few days, I would do an organized tour to try to catch some of the big sights the first day- Empire State Building, Broadway, Ground Zero, Wall Street. Then figure out what you want to go back and do and concentrate in those areas. NYC is very doable on foot, but can be tiring if you don't plan well. It helps if you learn the subway system, but that might be hard to do in 3 days. If you have $$$, take cabs everywhere. I've been to NYC numerous times, and it works best if you plan your sights according to what is in what area (Uptown, Soho, Greenich, Chinatown, Little Italy, etc.) For example, realize that unless you take the subway, it would be a long walk from the Empire State Building to Ground Zero and the Wall Street area.

Also, determine your plan for what closes when. Some things are open really late and some close at 5pm.

Some suggestions on sites:
-walk across the brooklyn bridge (there's a footpath) - esp at sunrise or sunset. It's not as far as you think and it's majestic.
-eat in little italy - i like Da nicco's.
-visit times square at night - the lights and activity still amaze me.
-Ground Zero - it's part of our history and until you see where the towers used to be, you won't really appreciate the hole in the heart of the city. I still miss the towers when I go.
- Canal street - the shops in Chinatown
- Ride the Staten Island Ferry if you don't want to do the Brooklyn Bridge - incredible view of the city. If you have time, see Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty
- LOTS of shopping areas. That's a whole other e-mail.
-If you like art, Soho art galleries and the Metropolitan Museum of Art

These are just my initial thoughts with some things that might not be on everyone's tour list....
Hope it helps!

Old May 5th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Basketta,
Many thanks for advice (I am taking many copious notes on all advice given.)
someone mentioned a shuttle service that does 1/2 or full day sight seeing called nypartyshuttle.com, have you heard of these?
Am also searching Fodors for a reasonable but not too expensive place to stay, as this will effect what we can see re its location
all advice/ tips very, very much appreciated.
Old May 5th, 2007, 05:19 PM

October is definitely high season for hotels - so prices will be high. ($300 per night is average for NYC - NOT for a luxury hotel.)

How many of you will there be? If only 2 you may be able to find a discount on Priceline. If more than 2 - let us know - and what your budget is - so people can make recos. The less expensive rooms/hotels fill up early - so you should be making reservations now if you want to control your budget.
Old May 5th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

have been looking and you are right they seem very expensive. There are 2 of us and i have just asked about parking in ny city as we will be in a hire car.

Have found the Comfort inn midtown good reports on trip advisor for about £130 per night. anyone know of this hotel re location etc
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:04 AM

If you're doing Broadway, there are discounted tickets to the shows at Broadwaybox.com