COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

New York City - hotel advice

Old Aug 28th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

New York City - hotel advice

First time visitor to New York City. We are thinking about looking for a hotel in Times Square-Theatre district. Any advice about that from anyone please? Safety? Things to see and do? Transport? Easy access to public transport?

Thanks
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 04:54 AM

First of all NYC is the safest large city in the USA.

I recommend you get a guide book. If you don't know the things to see and do that is a good place to start. Anybody can make the blanket first-timer recommendations, but chances are you already know what they are.

If you want specific hotel suggestions, you will have to post your dates and your nightly budget in USDs. The fall and December and the most expensive months in NYC if your plan is to go then. A lot of people say first time in Times Square is okay but a lot of others say it is a tourist trap area with no good places to eat and not charming.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 07:15 AM

First trip to NYC! How exciting. Well vjpb is absolutely right, Manhattan is a very, very safe city. And actually in Times Square you'll be surrounded by other visitors, so it's almost safer for that reason. Just use common sense tucking away your wallet, and honestly that's it.

It's really the perfect destination for public transportation because most of the major subway lines stop at 42nd Street. You can also easily reach most of the major attractions in Midtown either with a long walk or a short subway ride. (Empire State Building, Grand Central, Macy's, Rockefeller Center, etc., etc.). As for hotels, the first one that springs to mind is the W Times Square, but it's not cheap, so knowing your budget would help.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 09:15 AM

To reco hotels we need to know dates, budget and number of people.

Frankly I wouldn.t stay near Times Square no matter what you paid me - but I understand that some visitor find it fascinating. (To me it's just loud, mobbed, frantic and tacky - and nothing like the real NYC.)
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 06:06 AM

Loads of info here http://www.fodors.com/world/north-am...new-york-city/
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 07:42 AM

We stayed at the Doubletree Times Square. Staying in Times Square is insanity EXCEPT it was very convenient for us...ours was a shopping and shows trip....we saw 6 musicals in 4 days, so it was fantastic to be just blocks from our hotel when the show was over. It is also steps away from the subway line that took us shopping. Again, not recommended for every trip, but it worked well for ours.