Which hotel in NYC? Can't decide!

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Which hotel in NYC? Can't decide!

I have done alot of research on hotels in NYC and have narrowed it down to these hotels which I have made reservations. Sometimes the reviews just get me more confused so, I don't know if this will help or not but, I'm asking if someone out there can help me decide. Things that are important to me are:
1. A decent place to stay.
2. Location
3. Budget(I'm not rich but, will pay more for a better deal)
4. A VIEW. I would love to be able to see something out my window.
Here are my current reservations, can ya'll help me cancel out something?
Best Western President- A dulex queen 95.00 a night.
Warwick- Superior Room ( whatever that means) $129.00 a night
Beleveder- $130.00 a night for a king.
Holiday Inn Martinique- $116.00 for a Queen room.
I may do priceline later but, need to narrow this down for a hotel to have in case I don't. Gosh, if someone could help me with this , I would appreciate it so much! Thanks!!
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 07:05 AM

It's hard to get a good view in NYC. Even the best hotels can be in towering office building canyons with no views. For good views, you are going to pay more. The Plaza has park views, but I am guessing it is not in your budget.

Two hotels you might consider are the Marriott Marquis and the Renaissance Times Square. Both are in Times Square and have open views across Time Square. Depending on the time of year you are going, you might get good deals at either. You might also try priceline or hotwire, although you can't tell what hotels you are choosing.

You will get good views from the World Trade Center area down around Wall Street ? however, this may be too much out of the action for you. The Marriott New York Financial Center has good views, and might be in the price range, its worth a look at Marriott.com and/or calling the hotel. The Ritz-Carlton Battery Park has great views, again might not be in your price range, but if you are there on a weekend at a slow time of year, you never know. It is at least worth checking out. Ritzcarlton.com

There is also a Marriott on the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn Bridge which may have good views of the Manhattan skyline. The hotel is the New York Marriott at Brooklyn Bridge. It is near major subway lines, but again, may be too far out of the action for you. Price wise it is probably a very good value. I don't know anything specific about the hotel, just saw it on the website.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 09:37 AM

Trisha, Cicerone has given you excellent information. Bottom line you can't get all your wishes so some compromises have to be made. Of the hotels you've selected, I would choose the Warwick for location (it's closer to Fifth Ave shops, Rockefeller Center etc.)and "a decent place to stay". You won't get a view there though. But location depends upon your interests. If you're planning on spending a lot of time downtown to see Statue of Liberty, Soho,Chinatown etc., his downtown recos may work fine and your $ may go further down there but you'll be on the subway a lot if you're planning theater, shopping & museums. Cabs are not cost effective from down there!

Some other thoughts, people have gotten good rates at the Gorham (I think on quikbooks.com). It's near the warwick and may be a bit nicer (I'm not sure).

The UN Plaza hotel has some amazing views on the higher floors. It's not so convenient because it's all the way east on the east river but it is midtown. There might be some "deals" to be had there.

If you tell us your interests it would be easier to make recos. Good luck.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou so much for your help. This is my first trip to NYC so, I have interests in EVERYTHING just about. I mainly will be doing the tourist thing. My plans are broadway show, museums, circle line, Yankee game, Bronx zoo, touring neighborhoods, I don't care too much for Central Park really, Empire state building, Brooklyn Bridge, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, etc. I have 6 nights and would love to see as much as any first time tourist. I really don't have the money to shop so, I think that's a low priority. Again, thanks for your help.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 02:09 PM

Trisha-

Have been doing some searching for you.
You got great rates! What website did you use?

Although the deal at the Warwick sounds great, the reviews on Tripadvisor do not. Have you checked all these hotels on tripadvisor.com?

Just saw in a web search a new hotel called On the Avenue at 77th & Broadway. This is a residential neighborhood near the Museum of Natural History. It looks like they have big windows & some nice views. They have a weeknight special rate of $119. You might want to check it out at www.ontheave-ny.com

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 06:43 PM

I have stayed at the Warwick and I liked it. I am not sure what a superior room is. I find if I ask for an upgrade when I get to the hotel I get that free of charge. My husband and I are doing a weekend in the city in May. We are staying at the Michaelangelo Hotel. We have stayed there before and really like it. They start at about $179 and in the morning you get coffe and danish. The staff is very friendly.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your information!I did check out the hotels you suggested.The Renaissance and Mariott Marquis sound perfect except they are a little too rich for my blood. On the Ave. is not quite the location I was looking for even though the rooms look very stylish. I did happen along some web deals that sound interesting , The Hotel Metro for $140.00 a night and the Time hotel for $134.00 a night. I noticed they are rated pretty well.Would these be better choices than the ones I have already chosen? Alot of people seem to like the Belvedere also but, these other hotels , Warwick, the time , and Hotel Metro have higher ratings. I do appreciate everyone's help. Thanks again!!
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 09:33 PM

Have no idea why the Warwick got panned- the rooms have been re-done and the hotel is in prime location...

I would go with the Warwick...
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 09:39 PM

You might want to consider staying on the Upper West Side, it's more residential, but still safe and pleasant with plenty of eateries and shopping, walkable to Lincoln Center and it's only a 5-10 minute subway ride to Times Square. In particular there are a trio of hotels that I know of that are good and reasonably priced - the Beacon Hotel, the Milburn Hotel and On the Ave which mclaurie mentioned. If you're on a budget, it's also a bit cheaper to eat up there, plus there is Fairway Market for take-away prepared meals and cheeses and H&H Bagels for breakfast. And the $2.50 special at Papaya King.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 07:17 AM

We just got back from 5 days in NYC and stayed at the Beacon, Broadway @ 75th; this is the second time we've stayed there and think it's *great.* Rates for a regular room (2 doubles or 1 king) seem to be pretty established at $145/night, at least I've never seen a lower price. Ask for a room facing Broadway, and you'll be looking at the Ansonia Bldg, which to me is an amazing place! If you have a room on a high floor, you could probably see Riverside Park and the Hudson River.

Very close to the newly renovated 74th St subway; just a 10 minute ride to Times Square, etc.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 08:05 AM

Just came back from two days in the city and we stayed at the Crowne Plaza at the UN-$134 for two including full breakfast(omelets made to order). We requested two double beds because it was myself and my son when we got there at 1 pm no doubles were ready so they gave us a queen suite my son slept on the pullout couch-two separate rooms,two tvs and jacuzzi tub in the bathroom,people were very nice and friendly and they had a special on the priorityclub website which resulted in 500 frequent flyer miles. The hotel is a few blocks from grand centraland the U.N. We took the U.N. tour, walked to the Empire State building-had the metrocard so took a bus part way back to the hotel. Took the subway back and forth to Times Square to go to the WTC site and the financial district, to Greenwhich Village, to restaurants, a jazz club and a broadway play all in the Theater district. The location worked for us during a whirlwind 2 days in NYC. Our view we looked into another building but they had a patio with flowers, etc. making it very pleasant to look at when we woke up but besides that we didn't spend much time in the room instead enjoyed all the great things NYC had to offer!!
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 05:48 AM

We were just up in NYC this past weekend and stayed at the most marvelous little hotel near Times Square that I found on Quikbook.

The hotel is called Hotel 41 (it is on 41st Street between 7th & 8th) and is about 11 months old. The staff couldn't have been nicer - everyone from the front desk to the wait staff was very pleasant. They have a small brand-new restaurant on-premise. The location was wonderful - just off Times Square, next to the Nederlander Theatre and right by a subway station with tons of connections.

We had booked a superior double-bed room for $119/night, but were upgraded to a suite. They let us check in a couple of hours early, too and probably would have let us check out late if we'd asked. There was no view, but the bed had a skylight over it, which was pretty cool.

When we were deciding where to go to lunch on Saturday, the chef came out from the kitchen to give us some suggestions and when we went to the restaurant in the hotel (Bar 41) for dinner that night, he came out again to speak with us.

When we asked the chef about brunch suggestions for Sunday, he recommended a friend's restaurant, Cipo, on 1st & 41st. He called to make our reservations, then called again Sunday to re-confirm them.

Cipo was fabulous, too. Again, the chef came to greet and welcome us, and the staff couldn't have been nicer. As a huge bonus, the food at both places was great and dinner with a bottle of wine was $80 and brunch with mimosas was about $40.
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 08:58 AM

Have you tried visiting HotelKingdom.com?

My sis and her in laws just came back from NYC and I got them to book the Hilton Club rooms at the Hilton on Avenue of Americas. They had a very nice 2 bedroom suite w/ 42" Plasma TV with breakfast and cocktail reception for $356/night.

We will be going in May and booking the Studio suite for $150/night.

Love this hotel!
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 09:21 AM

I stay at the Belvedere all the time. I highly recommend it for location and price. There's no view, but just walk outside!
Old May 2nd, 2003, 02:07 PM

Just back from a 7 night stay in the grand union hotel 24 east 32nd st @99per night +tax total 114.My wife and i stayed in a clean very comfortable room on the 10th floor with a view of the empire state building.A coffee shop serve a good breakfast at a reasonable price. staff most helpfull.Recommend without hesitation.

Old May 2nd, 2003, 02:09 PM

Sorry this should be 34 east.