Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

1st time in New York city need hotel/activity advice...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any advice for a 1st time visit to New York?

I was looking at the Wellington Hotel. Any reviews?

My visit is in April and here in Texas we have a/c & heat all year round. I am a bit shocked that some of these hotels say seasonal a/c or shared bath. Is the room going to be comfortable without a/c? (The trip is in April). I am looking for something very affordable (less than $200) walking distance from as much as possible.

I am going for a conference but will be in town for an extra Monday, Tuesday and most of Wednesday and would like to maximize my stay. Other than checking out Les Paul at the Iridium and maybe trying to check out a show taping or a museum my husband and I would like to see what else we should try to do in April.

Thanks!
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 04:40 AM

You raise a very good question about a/c. The outside weather doesn't usually require a/c in April, but some old buildings do get overly heated heated and the only way to solve the problem is with a/c. The oldest buildings (like the Wellington) often have individual units that can be used year round.

The Wellington is a HUGE hotel with a wide range of rooms from very small to very large. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw as to which you get. It's extrememly well located but you can probably find something nicer at that price. Do remember hotel tax adds ~ 15% to prices you're seeing online.

There are quite a few hotels on special on http://hotels.travelzoo.com/new-york-hotels/ and quikbook.com often also has good rates. You might find something nicer for about the same price although some of those specials are only thru March or only on weekends. Where is your conference?

As far as activities, it depends on what interests you. A Broadway or off Broadway show? A walking tour? A cruise? Some good food?
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

The conference will be at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square - but I am arriving two days early and looking for my own hotel for the Monday & Tuesday. Since we will already be in Times Square for the conference we wouldn't mind staying somewhere a little further the first two nights.

I just looked at that link and found a $169 deal at Millenium Broadway. Any opinions on this hotel?

I like the proximity to museums of the Wellington but the Millenium seems VERY nice.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 04:56 AM

The Millennium is a nice hotel in a good location ... just across Times Square from the Marriott Marquis, so it will be convenient when you move. That's a good rate, so I'd snag it.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 05:34 AM

The Millenium Broadway is an excellent hotel (and much much much nicer than the Wellington) but if you plot it on a map with the Marriott Marquis, you'll see they're very near each other so wouldn't accomplish what you requested, but a very nice option.

I'll also note that most of the museums are uptown on the upper east side. The only major museum in midtown is MOMA on west 53 st. The Met, Frick, Whitney, Guggenheim etc. are in the east 70's-80's where there aren't many hotels. Most of those are closed on Mondays, btw, but MOMA is open Mon. and closed Tues.

You might enjoy the upper west side which is just across the park and a more residential area. Beaconhotel.com has recently been renovated and ontheave-ny.com is also good (and often on special on their own website as well as quikbook.com) although their smallest rooms are small. Milburnhotel.com is another one that is better in person than on the website. The Museum of Natural History is in this area.

The Millenium UN Plaza is on special on travelzoo and on the east side, so that would be a different location. It also has a relatively rare amenity for NYC of a rooftop pool. It's actually not as centrally located as the Mill. B'way, but for a different location would be a good option. Morgans is another idea near Grand Central terminal, also in midtown east but closer to transportation.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 05:53 AM

I've stayed at the Beacon and enjoyed it, but my most recent stay was at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and I thought it was really nice, plus I got it for an excellent rate on travelzoo.com.

I'm waiting for travelzoo to post specials for May when I'm going back to NYC.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 05:54 AM

Good point. There may be more specials posted on travelzoo for April.