Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Homer Alaska -- Anyone know the times of the Eagle Lady feedings?

Jan 28th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

I'm going to be in Anchorage in March for the Iditarod. While I'm there I'm planning on heading down to Homer for a couple of days to photograph bald eagles.

Eagle feeding in Homer was outlawed a few years ago, but there is a lady there named Jean Keene who lives on the spit and has been feeding the eagles for a long time, and she has been given an exemption from the law for the next year or two.

Does anyone know if she feeds the eagles at a certain time of day, and if so, when? I will only have time to be in Homer for two days, and I want to arrange my flights to make sure I am there for two feedings.
Jan 28th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

That is so, so sad. I am heartbroken. Thank you though for the article.

I was in Homer last August and first learned of her then. I immediately decided to come back this winter, because I knew she was getting up in years and also because she only had a year or two left to feed them.

Homer has lost a wonderful person.

Does anyone know if a decision has been made to keep feeding them this season? The article says that the city gave a friend permission to feed them for 10 days, and inquiries were being made to biologists to determine if the eagles would be harmed by a sudden stop in the feeding.

If the feeding is going to continue this season, I will still go, and will pay my respects to a great lady.
Jan 28th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

Good news. On Monday the Homer City Council passed an ordinance that permits the eagle feeding to continue for this season only. It will end in 60 days on March 27.

Here's an excerpt from the Homer Tribune:

The emergency ordinance that allows eagle-feeding to be extended for 60 days on the Homer Spit following Jean Keene’s death generated a lot of the debate. The ordinance passed unanimously, meaning the feeding can continue, but the city “shall issue no additional permits for eagle feeding after that date.”
Keene had started feeding the eagles this winter on Dec. 20. She passed away on Jan. 13. Since the eagle feeding had already started for the year, wildlife officials agreed it may be best to taper the feedings off.
Russell M. Oates, chief of the division of migratory bird management for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, wrote a letter to the council strongly cautioning it to abandon eagle feeding after this season.
“It would seem reasonable to continue feeding those birds that have gathered for the current winter period so as not to create sudden absence of a primary food source,” he wrote. “I do, however, encourage the city to stand firm in its ban on the feeding of bald eagles after this winter. Competitive aggregations created by feeding can result in serious injuries or death to eagles and can create problems for other wildlife and people. The eagles will be far better off foraging for themselves naturally on the landscape.”

See: http://www.homertribune.com/article.php?aid=3817
Jan 29th, 2009, 02:22 AM

A couple of years ago I was given a short book about Jean Keene's life. You might want to pick up a copy as a keepsake.
Jan 29th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I know the book. I saw it while I was in Homer and intended to buy another one when I'm there in March.

But with her passing, I got to thinking the books might sell out. So I went on Amazon this morning and there was one for sale autographed by both the author and by Jeane Keene herself. It was only $5.00 more, so I ordered it!

I'm still wondering if there is a particular time of day the eagles are fed (although I guess everything is subject to change now).