New England coastal long weekend-where to go?

Old May 6th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

New England coastal long weekend-where to go?

We have to be at a wedding in Keene, NH on the Sunday evening of labor day weekend, and we are thinking of making it a long wknd (flying in Wed. PM). We are planning on renting a car since there are no airports within an hour of Keene, and have not booked plane tickets yet. We would love to stay along the coast. Any suggestions as to where to go would be appreciated.

Old May 6th, 2007, 08:27 PM

I thought Manchester, NH airport was about an hour from Keene, maybe it is further - but Keene is inland and I think about 90-120 min from the coast
The Manchester airport is less than an hour from Portsmouth, NH which is a great area and you might enjoy the weekend there -

if you plug "portsmouth, nh" into the search bar, you will see lots of threads on it w/ great restaurant and lodging recs , coastal activities, etc.

Maybe you can fly into Manchester on Wednesday, drive to Portsmouth, stay there until Sunday and then in the morning drive the 2 hrs or so over to Keene for the wedding and spend Sunday night in Keene - and then Monday drive the hour or so to Manchester airport to head out.
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:10 AM

Keene is about 1 hour 15 minutes from Manchester. Boston is a little over 2 hours. So even Boston would seem logical to me since it is near a variety of coastal places you might want to visit - check airfares and make your decision since recently fares into secondary airports (such as MHT) have risen greatly (accordingly to Boston Globe article).

Some of decision also depends on when you are flying home. The later in the day you drive on Monday, the worse the traffic will be - and Tuesday AM of that weekend could also be nasty - so that may influence your flight decisions. Manchester is obviously easier and closer, but not if it makes the flight longer or more expensive. Southwest goes into MHT but not BOS.

Portsmouth is a fine choice, as are several southern Maine towns - NH coastline is really only a few short miles. I would make reservations soon, though.
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:21 AM

Memorial Day weekend will be cooler the further north you go, so you might think about the Boston area for the weekend, or heading up the coast toward Rockport and several beautiful spots in that area.
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:05 AM

I have a place just north of Portsmouth, NH in Maine, but have relatives in Keene so do go back and forth. It is not an easy ride, definately not direct at all. It takes me a good 2 hours and 15 minutes and a holiday time would be even worse. Maybe you should explore the Keene area and surrounding towns. Mt. Monadnock has hiking trails. Stay at EF Lane on Main Street in Keene, a boutique hotel.