Travel To Jackson Hole In October

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel To Jackson Hole In October

Hi! Well, we had a great trip to Italy planned in October that I had to cancel due to a family illness. Just can't go away for 3 weeks overseas until 2006 now.

So, we've decided on a week in Jackson Hole, WY in mid-October. Since the Fall weather can be changeable, I have a few questions regarding transportation.

First - should I rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle?

Second - we would like to fly into Salt Lake City on a Friday night and then leisurely drive up to Jackson Hole on Saturday. Is this drive doable in October? Are the passes usually still open or do the heavy snows begin earlier in the month?

I hate to sound ignorant, but I'm more familiar with beaches around the country rather than mountain areas. My husband has tired of my unending quest for the perfect beach and has begged for a west/mountain vacation.

Thanks for your help!

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

bumping
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 12:11 PM
KMK

I imagine you will be fine, although I do not speak from any personal experience, just felt someone ought to reply to your post! I do know that plenty of people drive up from SLC to JH in the winter to ski. (Not that that is totally without incident, but unless there is a storm, not a problem.) I think the only pass is Teton Pass coming from ID to WY, and that is open all winter barring major storms (and even then, they try to open it again quickly); most of the drive is interstate.

I don't think weather conditions will likely be a factor driving in October, nor do I think you need 4-wheel drive. Yeah, you COULD get a dusting of snow in October, but I doubt anything major enough to impact your driving. If it will make you feel more secure, though, by all means rent 4-wheel drive.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your reply! Just booked flights on Continental in & out of Salt Lake City from Newark for an almost unheard of $266/person including tax!!!
Also - ended up renting a 4wd vehicle anyhow; we drive Jeeps normally so I figured we'd be more comfortable renting something similar.

Really looking forward to this!
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 10:20 AM

While it may not fall into the blizzard category and may not stay long on the ground, snow is a definite possibility. A few years ago, our flight home from Jackson on September 10 was delayed 5 hours because of a snowstorm! And, we were lucky, as most of the flights were cancelled.