Mount Rushmore in October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2005, 12:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning to visit Mt Rushmore, Black Hills Grand Teton and possibly Yellowstone in the last week of October 2006, staying for about 10 days.

Will the weather, i.e. SNOW hamper any plans to sightsee or drive?

Thanks
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 05:23 AM

You can always check with weather sites to see what the average weather is. And as your trip approaches, you can watch for specific forecasts. In general, you should have no problem, and that time of year should be very pleasant.

When I was a fighter pilot in the Air Force, we enjoyed flying into the Air Force base near Mt Rushmore. We would then plan our departure to fly right across, and close to, the wonderful Mt Rushmore monuments. Never climbed over the rock, but up close from an airplane it is magnificent.

My long-term forecast is that you will find highs in the 50s or 60s, little chance of rain, and no chance of snow. Good luck.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Wayne, I need to book the flights in January so need to know the likelyhood of problems.

Would your similar forecast apply for the trip to Yellowstone?
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 06:52 AM
TheWeasel

ourunner-The temp and precip averages can be found for any nat'l park by going to nps.gov, searching for the specific park you're interested in, and clicking on "Plan your visit". That will take you to a page with a link to weather and climate. If you click on the weather/climate link, it usually gives you a month by month breakdown of the ave. high and low. For Mt. Rushmore, the direct link is: http://www.nps.gov/moru/travel_info/weather_hist.htm
For Yellowstone, the link is: http://www.nps.gov/yell/planvisit/or...ther/index.htm

Specifically, Mt. Rushmore's average high in October is 58, and in November it's 44 (so I'd guess late October to be around 50). Yellowstone's ave highs are 56 and 39, so again, late October would probably be around the upper 40s. Both parks certainly have the possibility of snow in late October (as early as September, in fact). I would plan on cold and some snow and be happy if both are absent for the whole trip.

Old Dec 6th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou TheWeasel.

Don't mind the snow or cold, just didn't want to end up in a blizzrd\snow drift!

I'll research the links.

Old Dec 6th, 2005, 04:37 PM

Be prepared to dress warmly when you visit Mt. Rushmore. We were there Memorial Day weekend and nearly froze when we went to the evening lighting ceremony.

Not sure what your plans for lodging are at Yellowstone & the Tetons, but I seem to remember that when were there in late Sept. at least some of the lodging and dining facilities were getting ready to close.

All are wonderful places to visit.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 05:15 PM

I live in Minnesota. We had a group of German high school students staying in our community with our German students. Another Mom and I brought 3 of the German students and our own kids out to Mount Rushmore, Black Hills, etc. in October and there was a fair amount of snow on the ground. We weren't too cold because we are used to bitter cold, but our poor German friends were shivering.If you are from a warm climate, you will want to plan for snow and bring lots of layers. I don't think it will hamper your driving except for possibly mountain passes farther out West. We saw mountain goats right at the visitors center at Mount Rushmore, which was very exciting!
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 12:34 PM
kkj

It will be cold. Hopefully you aren't planning a lot of other sightseeing in the hills as the season will be over by then.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 09:11 AM

topping for sumreknot

Please note that this is an old post. But sumreknot is considering that area in October so I thought this might help.