Seattle, what's good about it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aside from being smack dab in the middle of one of the most beautiful parts of the world. Is there anything especially interesting about Seattle city. I was there back in '92 and all I remember is some guys tossing around a Salmon in a market, lots of espresso coffee carts, some stores on a hill, and the space needle which had a decent if not great view. I'm headed back that way end of September with my new wife mainly to go to Vancouver and the Canadian rockies. I'm trying to think if there's any good reason to spend some time in Seattle itself. I'm a little jaded as I live in New York City, sorry if I offended anyone.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 07:41 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
No. Nothing to see here. In fact I'd skip Vancouver too. Nothing but rain and banana slugs the size of... uh... bananas.

Revise your route to include Calgary and Edmonton. Much better shopping, especially in Edmonton. http://www.westedmontonmall.com/

More colourful money too.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Are you serious, is Vancouver really not that interesting? Edmonton is too out of the way and I'm not into mall shopping. I do enjoy architecture and great museums , though.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 07:57 AM

I was in Seattle for the first time in the spring and do not feel I need to go back to the area...

Except...

There is an amazing restaurant just outside of the city in Woodinville called The Herb Farm. If you love food this is a definate must do.

http://www.theherbfarm.com/Index2.tm...idth=800&bu=No

If I were to do it again, I would stay in one of the suites the restaurant has or in a local (Woodinville) hotel. The drive to and from Seattle put a damper on the evening.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 08:03 AM

Skip both Vancouver and Seattle. There's a terrific Olive Garden in Tukwila, WA, one of the best in the nation, plus a big mall nearby. You can skip all the Seattle traffic that way.

Andrew
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

If there's on thing worse then sarcasm it's sarcasm repeated by someone else.
As I said already, not into mall shopping, or franchise restaurants. I do love vibrant cities with great architecture and museums. I'm just wondering if there was something in Seattle that I may have missed. My kids did enjoy the aquarium and running through the fountain in downtown.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 08:21 AM

Unless you crave espresso or want to throw fish, skip it. Nothing to see.

dsquared (a proud member of Lesser Seattle)

Gardyloo, at least there was no "Pike's Market" reference ;-)

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Isn't Pikes Market where they throw around the fish? Are they still doing that? What a tired routine.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 08:27 AM

Governator, what else would you expect besides sarcasm when you post such a condescending message in the first place?

Andrew
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 08:29 AM

Governator,

I will try to avoid the trap you set.

There is plenty to see in the Canadian Rockies and Vancouver. Since you have been to Seattle, you might want to consider adding Victoria to your itinerary.

Calgary is worth visiting, and that can be done from Banff. IMO it is best to visit Jasper via Lake Louise and the Ice Fields Parkway rather than to do the loop drive through Edmonton.

Good reasons to include Seattle might be if you are going to visit Mt. Rainier, Olympic National Park, or the San Juan Islands.

Former 30-years resident of Manhattan who managed to not become jaded by it, I am very truly yours,

HTTY
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 08:36 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm trying to think if there's any good reason to spend some time in Seattle itself. I'm a little jaded as I live in New York City, sorry if I offended anyone.

No offense taken.

Why would you ask for advice then use such loaded language? If you're "trying to think of any good reason" then what do you want? For us to do your thinking for you? Or your research? Or mind-read to know what a "good reason" is to you as opposed to Joe Bagodonuts?

Judging from your post history, you're not a newbie here, and you presumably have learned that there's a search function, albeit a bit lame, that would bring up umpteen threads about Seattle or Vancouver with minimal keystrokes. So no offense taken, but it's not a terribly effective way of getting people to respond in a collaborative manner.

Lecture ends.

Architectural/built items:

Item - the NY Times architecture critic called the new Seattle central library the "most significant new building [he's] reviewed in [his] career."

Item - the Statue of Liberty on the beach at Alki is cheaper to get to than the one out off Battery Park. Nice bakery (with espresso) across the street. Ferries, mountains and (sometime) whales visible from Liberty's feet.

Item - the Boeing widebody plant in south Everett (25 min. from downtown) is the biggest building in the world, and features its own weather systems.

Good (enough) reasons? Only you can decide.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 09:53 AM

It's a nice city but not much to do.I prefer Vancouver.Rent a bike and visit the park. For nature concentrate on the Jasper - Banff(Columbia icefields) part.Lots of lakes-waterfalls...to see. Becker chalets in Jasper is a great place to stay a couple of days. By the way the salmon were also flying through the air when we were there.I prefer them on my plate. Have a great time.Greetings from Belgium.Paul
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 09:53 AM

I was in Seattle a few years ago for a long weekend. I hadn't been there in years and years. We had a meeting the first day..actually the reason for going there...and then we spent a couple of extra days and it was just a great couple of days. I guess maybe I'm "strange", I've been told that before LOL, but we had just the nicest time, wandering through the Market, in and out of shops, stopping to have a beer or coffee, looking out at the water, eating in some very good restaurants etc. It was a lovely weekend. So someone would ask what did you do?. Well we DID exactly what I just said. What did you see? Well, nothing earth shattering I suppose, but what's wrong with just "being"? I just don't feel the need to always be compelled to be running around, checking things off my list as I go. Gotta go here, gotta go there, gotta see this, gotts see that. So, if Seattle doesn't interest you, if you didn't enjoy your time there before, just skip it. There's plenty to do in the Pacific Northwest. Your questions was silly.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 10:10 AM

I have never been a fan of Seattle - just my tastes - but I like around Seattle. For my husband and I, it was well worth slogging through the traffic though to get to the Museum of Flight. Boeing tour and Future of Flight were interesting too. Thanks again to Gardyloo and others for many helpful suggestions on our last trip to the area (Arlington, WA thread). We thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 10:18 AM

It's as if you want us to persuade you to come to Seattle. Perhaps you truly didn't want to offend anybody but your wording most likely did just that. My husband is from New York born and raised and he loves New York and he loves Seattle. The food, music, views, neighborhoods, festivals. Have a wonderful trip. Vancouver is wonderful too. Be sure and go to China Town there.