Jackson Hole in October

Search

Jackson Hole in October

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jackson Hole in October

I'm planning a week in the Grand Tetons/Yellowstone area in September or October. I want to mainly relax, enjoy the scenery, hike, maybe a day of rafting, and just chill. I've been to Yellowstone so will spend most of my time in Jackson.

I noticed that the lodging rates drop markedly after Oct. 15th. Is this a really bad time to go weatherwise? And am I correct that this will be past the peak for the fall colors? And will summer type outdoor activities still be available?
I don't mind the cold, but will be driving so I'm concerned about snow.
Any advice will be appreciated. TIA
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 04:59 PM

You will have passed the peak for fall colors and snow is a distinct possibility that time of year. But still go because it's beautiful and comparitively little traveled that time of year. October is a wonderful month to be there!

-doo
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 06:10 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Gorgeous, but if you want to stay in Yellowstone check their closing schedule. I went in October a few years back and it was their last weekend of the season and things were shutting down with more limited options staying open for the winter season.

It was interesting talking to the retirees working in the snack bar of the gift shop about closing up their 6 month stop and moving to warm weather in the winter.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback, starrs and doo.
I just booked for 10/7-10/13, and got a pretty good deal on air, hotel and car.

I'll be spending the whole 6 nights in GTNP and probably drive to Yellowstone for a day. Even if places are closing down in YS, presumably the roads will still be open? I hope?
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:52 PM

Yep, all the roads will be open barring a major snow dump. It's not likely to dump loads while you're there but it has been known to happen. It got one 3 years ago when I was in YNP on the last weekend in Oct. But, even then, just Dunraven Pass in Yellowstone closed. Nevertheless, I was happy to be driving a 4wd that day!

-doo
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 01:05 PM

We had a great trip that same week in October a few years ago. The day we went to Yellowstone was the day it much of it was closing. But it was great to be one of only a handful of cars in a parking lot made for hundreds if not thousands of cars! We had unseasonably nice weather, dry and sunny, but especially in morning and evening it was already below freezing. Do not underestimate the Grand Teton national park and hiking there. Very nice.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 01:17 PM

panecott,

Rafting will probably be closed down for the season. If any are still running - it will be COLD!

Colors will mostly be over with.

Have fun
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone.

I'll gladly trade the possibility of snow for the certainty of no crowds! In fact, I'd welcome a light snowfall. I can imagine how beautiful it must be, and I love the cold weather.

Any tips on other activities? I've seen ads for wildlife safaris. Are they worthwhile or is it just as easy to do it on my own?

I appreciate all your advice. Keep it coming.

Old Aug 21st, 2008, 02:40 PM

We did a "Yellowstone in Winter" guided tour in February, so I'm not sure which closures starrs is talking about. Old Faithful Lodge was closed, but we stayed at the Snow Inn (I think that was the name...it was a matter of feet away from the OFL). We really enjoyed it, except for the dining arrangements.