Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Yellowstone to cold to visit in early October?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Susan

Old May 30th, 2002, 07:12 PM
rand

Yup. This board is one sick puppy tonight.<BR>Answer. Probably, it was cold at night in September the year I was there. However global warming has been happening since.

Old May 30th, 2002, 07:20 PM
xxx

Most likely. However, I didn't realize that Yellowstone is in Europe.

Old May 30th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Continent aside, Yellowstone is ON the continental divide and so it's HIGH country. I've been there in early October several times and had free run of the place. Other times, some major roads were already closed due to snow. It's just plain dicey. It was not bitterly cold, but mornings were very crisp.

Old May 30th, 2002, 07:59 PM
Bob Brown

Yup. Winter comes early to the high country of Yellowstone. October is an enchanting time of year, with the wind turning to a biting chill at times.<BR>But the geyser basins are mystical that time of year, particularly in the faint light of early evening. The great thing is that the mobs are gone!!<BR>If you can, watch Grand Geyser, or Castle, erupt by the light of a full moon. It will be nippy, but unbelievable.<BR>Not much is open, I might add. Most of the place is shut.<BR>

Old May 30th, 2002, 08:00 PM
RON

The days will be crisp and require layered clothing during the day. It is also a spectacular time of the year to be in the parks as it is mating season for the elk and the leaves will be turning.<BR><BR>We have visited Banff and Glacier during the month of October and it is a wonderful time of the year for wildlife.<BR><BR>Ron