when does yellowstone begin to get really cold

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was telling a friend about my trip to yellowstone and he became interested in going up this fall. does anyone know when it is likely to get really cold/snow.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 03:27 PM
iceeu2

We went to Yellowstone last October and there was lots of snow and it was very cold.....and Beautiful!

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 03:32 PM

I've been there in Sept when it snowed- I'd say you should be prepared for just about any kind of weather in the fall
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 04:56 PM

It was cold enough the first week of September for us to wear gloves for an early morning float trip. Then, on September 10 or 11, our flight out of Jackson was delayed 5 hours because of a snowstorm. We were lucky though, as most of the flights were cancelled.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 06:50 AM

we froze august 15th one year in rustic cabin with no heat except for a little stove for which they had rationed us 5 logs for the evening.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 09:02 AM

Question: Which "rustic cabin" did you stay in? My friend and I were planning on staying next May in the Colter Bay cabins. Obviously we are realistic about cold mornings, possible snow and the like.. It will be spring after all.. But not sure I'm ok with the rationed heat indoors. For Pete's sake we're from Florida. Please if anyone has stayed at Colter Bay please let me know if there is an indoor heating system...

Thanks..
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 09:14 AM
Syv

We stayed in the Roosevelt cabins one spring. They had the heat going & it was sweltering hot in the cozy rustic cabin. (of course, we're from Canada though, not Florida )
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 09:51 AM
maj

We went at the middle - end of September a few years ago. One day we were in short sleeve shirts (at Tower Falls) and two days later there was enough snow that the road to Tower Falls was closed and we were glad we had four wheel drive for the other roads. It was fantastic for us because we basically got to see two seasons in one week.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 06:56 AM

we stayed at the cheapest cabins in the park, but it was so many years ago, i can't tell you which ones. they may have put in heat by now. i don't see how you could have used them in the winter if not.

we only were able to stay there because at 4 pm they relinquished the available rooms because of no-shows, so we waited and were lucky. so that is why i hardly recall the name or area. we had no reservations.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 11:09 AM

MAJ -- You mention a day for short-sleeve shirts in mid-Sept. (which is when I am going), and then snow. Should I forget any shorts or crop pants?! Thank you.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 11:20 AM

Fall in Yellowstone can be anything at all. Usually, warm days and cold nights. The leaves will be turning.
You must go prepared for every kind of weather, you'll have a great time if you do. Take shorts, take long pants, take tee shirts and upper layers including a warm jacket, hat and gloves.

The cabins at Coulter Bay have electric heaters on the wall. They do the job and I'm one who gets cold easily.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 11:45 AM

Take the shorts. We wore them in September (no, not on the day it snowed, however!). The temperature really spans a broad range. The day we took an early-morning float trip, we wore gloves (and jackets, of course). On some afternoons, we wore shorts and T-shirts.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 06:14 PM
maj

Good advice -- be prepared for any weather. Especially if hiking. I love those convertible pants that zip off into shorts. The second time we went at the end of September it didn't snow at all.