Search

San Francisco and Sonoma

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2005, 12:39 PM
KRF
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Francisco and Sonoma

My husband and I are planning a 9 day trip in September to SF and Sonoma. I'm looking for restaurant recommendations in SF. Also, I would like recommendations re an overnight tour to Sonoma -- wineries, restaurant, hotel. Thanks.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 01:24 PM

Just one night in Sonoma? Won't do the area justice but I'm being presumptuious ....maybe that's all you can spare with other activities.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 05:08 PM

Hi KRF, regarding restaurant recommendations in SF, what type of food do you to like, about what do you want to spend for dinner per night (asking as there is such a range of prices in SF) and what sort of atmosphere do you like. Also, is there any particular areas you want.

If you could give some idea as to what your likes/dislikes are I know you will receive a lot of recommendations.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 05:47 PM

If you are planning on spending a night in Sonoma in September, get on the web RIGHT NOW and get accommodations.

Go to www.sonomavalley.com to start...that is the visitor's bureau website.

sonomavalleyinn.com and elpuebloinn.com I think are viable websites. The El Dorado Hotel is right on the Plaza, as is the Sonoma Hotel and the Swiss Hotel. They are in adobe buildings. The last two have charm as well as the first but people have complained about "bar noise" in the Swiss.

There are also more expensive lodgings...MacArthur Place, for example. You could google that. And a new one I believe is called The Inn at Sonoma, which turns out to be a couple of miles south on the highway, but is high end.

The reason I am so insistent on haste is that it the crushing season in the wine country. And, it is a major destination at any time.

I grew up in Sonoma, and last month when I went to a high school reunion I needed to book a month ahead for a place to stay.

We stayed at the El Pueblo Inn for two nights and then had to move to a B & B for the third. As I remember, this was called "Rose Garden", or something like that. It is kind of funky but comfortable enough. Only four rooms..in a house. I don't believe the operator lives there because she has a cell phone and a note on the door as to where our rooms were.

As for wineries, you might enjoy historic, small Buena Vista, a little way east of town, on a country road, where Colonel Agustin Harasthy <sp> is supposed to have begun the wine industry in California. It is charming.

Sebastiani Winery is umm...four or five blocks from the Plaza.

Coming into Sonoma from San Francisco you will see Viansa, one whose name I cannot remember, and the Gloria Ferrar Champagne Cellars.

Moving west from Sonoma is Benzinger (sp?) in Glenn Ellen and St. Jean and Kunde Estates...the latter has a limestone tunnel in the mountain, to store wine barrels, which was created by the same technology as the Chunnel between England and France.

There are more.

Even given the short distance from San Francisco, one night is not enough time.

Restaurants change so often that I seldom try to recommend, but two which have seemed to have credence in Sonoma are the Girl and the Fig and The General's Daughter...the latter named because it was the house which General Vallejo, the Mexican alcade, or whatever, built for his daughter.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 06:43 PM

One night in Sonoma will probably leave you wishing for more!! In May, stayed at the Inn at Sonoma, a Four Sisters Inn, just two blocks from the Square, and all it's historical sites, wonderful restaurants and boutiques, farmers market, and yes, even wine tasting- Chosen after much agonizing, and so pleased we did. Rooms were spacious, with balconies and plush robes, perfect for the hot tub on the roof; staff helpful and with many tips and complimentary wine tastings, bikes, available to all who stayed there, wonderful breakfasts and a delightful wine and cheese fete late in the afternoon, where one would chat with other guests, discover what they had done/seen that day, and plan the next day accordingly- just delightful.Benziger winery for a tour of the vineyards was v ery informative, and fun. Girl and the Fig, on the Square a wonderful restaurant, as well as the General's Daughter, both for dinner. A wonderful Italian place (it's name escapes me, but the hotel recommended) was around the corner. Jt's recommendation for the website is good-Google Sonoma, and you will come up with an enormous amount of information. The Inn, though, is only two blocks from the Plaza , so you do escape the noise of those that are , and it is an easy walk.Do go to the Viansp winery- it is beautiful.
Enjoy
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 07:08 PM

Love San Fran and Sonoma! You have to eat at the Crab House 39 on Pier 39 and get the classic crabs! Want a nice drink with a nice view? Go to the Mark Hotel and to the Top of the Mark lounge!

If you haven't been before, check the weather, gets way chilly at night, doesn't matter time of the year.

Take a day trip to Sausalito! Beautiful area on the other side of the bay! You can drive or take a ferry!

My favorite vineyard in Sonoma is Viansa.