?? Transportation around Boston ??

Aug 17th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

?? Transportation around Boston ??

In September, I am flying into Logan airport, spending a night at Marriott Custom House, planning to take the subway to the Aquarium stop to reach the hotel, is this the best inexpensive way to reach hotel?

The next day I will take the Plymouth & Brockton bus line to Hyannis? My question, the map shows South Station Transportation Center as the closest place to pick up the bus line to Hyannis?
If taking the subway it looks like to I need to go from the blue, to the orange, then the red in short order? Is there an easier bus to take to the South Station from my location on McKinley Square? Or is it faster to go directly back to the airport to catch my Hyannis bus?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Aug 17th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Blue line to Aquarium is good to get to the hotel.

To get to South Station you could either take the Orange Line from the State Station and transfer to the Red Line, or you could walk over to the intersection of State and Atlantic and catch the Number 4 bus to South Station.
Aug 17th, 2009, 11:17 AM

Hi CM -

Yes, the T (subway) is the best inexpensive way to get to your hotel. The Aquarium and Logan stops are only a couple of stops apart on the Blue line, so yes it's faster to just take the Blue line to Logan and take your P & B bus from there.
Aug 17th, 2009, 11:23 AM

Depending, of course, on what time your bus to Hyannis is.
Aug 17th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick advice.
I would probably be taking the Hyannis bus at 12:45 (Logan). This will be on September 11, does anyone know if the bus line will be the Winter schedule then?
Aug 17th, 2009, 12:08 PM
yk

If you don't have luggage with you, I'd just WALK from Aquarium to South Station. It should not take more than 10-15 minutes.
Aug 17th, 2009, 12:13 PM

1. Blue Line to Marriott Customs House is perfect. Go up the escalators/elevators at the end in the direction the train is going, and when you hit the surface, the Customs House is right across the street.

2. Depending on your age and how much luggage you have, it isn't a very long walk to the bus station. If you have a lot, take a taxi. The cost of returning to Logan and taking the P&B bus from there will outway the cost of the taxi (the P&B bus is cheaper from South Station).

3. Is someone meeting you in Hyannis, or are you going on to Nantucket? If so, the information desk at the Hyannis Transportation Center can call the Steamship Authority shuttle and have you picked up (there may be a courtesy phone now). If you are taking the HyLine, you would have to take a taxi.

4. As you know, the summer schedule is now on the P&B website. I used these buses to commute between Boston and Nantucket for a number of years, and the weekday schedules change very little seasonally. I think the bus that leaves Logan at 12:45 is certain to pick you up at South Station at 1:15.

4. Teh
Aug 17th, 2009, 12:25 PM

Notice a couple of things about the buses from Logan, though:

1. Most weekday buses from Logan to Hyannis stop at South Station. So if you go to Logan to catch one, you have to be there 30 minutes earlier, and you get to pay $9 more for the privilege ($25 from Logan but only $19 from South Station for a one-way ticket, or $16 if you are a senior).

2. The three weekday afternoon buses from Logan that DON'T stop at South Station still take almost 30 minutes longer to get to Hyannis than buses that leave from South Station around the same time.

3. ALL the weekend buses from Logan stop at South Station.

So you might want to check what cab fare from your hotel to South Station would be. A cab and a ticket from South Station might cost no more, or only slightly more, than a fare to Logan ($2 if you didn't buy a day pass the day before) and a ticket from there - plus you are on the bus 30 minutes less.
Aug 17th, 2009, 12:27 PM

Sorry--started the post before you added the details about time and others had posted, and then came back to it later to finish it!
Aug 18th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I'm good to go for my trip.