Boston - Amtrak station to Logan

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 05:11 AM
KBS

Boston - Amtrak station to Logan

my son's college offers free shuttle service from Logan to campus, but he needs to get from the Amtrak station (south station) to Logan to catch the shuttle...... What's the best way?

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 05:27 AM
katie

Get on the T in South Station (Red Line). Take the train one stop to Downtown Crossing to the Orange Line. Take the train from Downtown Crossing one stop to State Street to the Blue Line. Take the Blue Line to Logan Airport.

If he's got a lot of luggage he's better off taking a cab....Is his school on the T or the Commuter Line - he could skip the shuttle and just take the train. www.mbta.com

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Jen

Katie's directions are accurate, although probably after he gets to the Airport statoin on the Blue Line, he'll have to take the airport shuttle bus from the subway station to wherever the college shuttle bus departs. In other words, FOUR changes!

On the other hand, South Station is not really very far from the airport, and in this case I would strongly recommend just hopping in a taxi, which will cost about $10 and take about 15 minutes, compared to an hour or more with all the subway line switching.

We could probably be even more specific if we knew which school he's going to.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 10:00 AM
KBS

Thanks for the info. I'm afraid the whole "red line" to "orange line" to whatever may be too confusing for him.

He is going to Endicott College (Beverly/Manchester-by-the-Sea/North shore area). There is a commuter train stop near Endicott, but I think he still has to do the South station to North station trip before he can catch the train to the school. Sounds like a taxi from Amtrak to Logan may be easier for him. He's one of those "smart" kids who can't find his car in a parking lot, so the easier the better when he travels alone!

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Boss Tonn

A year or two ago, the MBTA (local transit authority) contracted with a private bus company to begin a shuttle service that ran from South Station directly to Logan. It was kind of a mini-bus, about the size of one of those shuttles that the rent-a-car places use. The fare was $5 and it made the rounds quite frequently. I think it was called something like "the Dart". Does anyone out there know if this service is still operating? It may not be, because I haven't noticed any of these buses lately.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 10:29 AM
kbs

I didn't see anything on the MTBA site about a shuttle that currently exists. Anyone have any more info on this subject? Thanks!

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Leslie

The Dart went out of business in November, its a shame because it only cost $5.

Instead of doing all of that schlepping on the T with luggage, I suggest that your son walk from the Amtrak South Station to the South Station Bus Station -- its about 500 yards tops (its a large white building). Many of the buses from Maine and New Hampshire stop at South Station to drop off passengers and then continue onto Logan Airport. The fare is also $5, and they leave about every 45 minutes. A cab ride to the airport from South Station will run about $15.

Check out the Concord Trailways site and Vermont Transit (VT is Greyhound) -- both come from Maine and New Hampshire. Otherwise check out the Brush Hill line, or call information at South Station and someone there will tell you which buses go to Logan Airport from South Station.