Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Boston: Directions to get to the 'T' from inside Logan Airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Mother in law will be flying into Boston to meet us for our daughters' graduations. She arrives about 7 AM on a Friday, and wants to take the "T" to our Hotel at Kenmore Square.

I can give her step-by-step instructions from the Red line at South Station, but for the life of me, I can't recall how you get to the station from inside the airport. The Airport website is not really clear on how to accomplish this either.

I vaguely recall going out a door marked Buses or Ground Transportation, then walking off to the right. I remember once taking a shuttle bus, but also think it may now be an actual T stop there?

I know a taxi might be a better idea, but she travels light and loves public transportation. Yes, L0VES it -she often rides buses on different routes for 'fun' I just don't want her getting lost at after a red-eye flight and during morning rush hour.

Thanks,

Lcuy

If anyone can give me really clear directions from baggage claim to the ticket machine, it will make me feel a lot less guilty for not meeting her!
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 08:41 PM

I just got back last night. You go out where it says "ground transportation" and take the Silver Line bus to South Station. In our case, we transferred at South Station to the Red Line to go to Central Square. You only pay once, when you get on the bus -- we had a Charlie card so it was $1.70, but you can use cash too - $2.00 - right on the bus.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 11:05 PM
yk

NO!

To get to Kenmore Sq (which is on the GREEN line), she needs to:

1) Follow sign for Ground Transportation (Ground level just outside baggage claim)
2) Take the shuttle bus (either No 22 or 33, depending on which terminal she arrives at) to the BLUE LINE AIRPORT STATION.
http://www.massport.com/logan/getti_typeo_logans.html
3) Once she arrives at the BLUE LINE airport station, she can buy her ticket from one of the machines there. Take the INBOUND train and get off at Government Center.
4) At Government Center station, go up one level (there are escalators) and switch for the GREEN LINE. She wants the INBOUND side and she can take any trolley except E in Kenmore Station.
http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_ma...s/?route=GREEN
5) If she's going to be in town for a few days and will be using lots of public transport, she can ask the station attendant for a charlie card (a plastic card which you add value to it), then use the machine to load $ onto it. It's cheaper ($1.7) to ride the T using the Charlie Card. If she doesn't plan to use the T much, then she can just buy a Charlie ticket (paper ticket) from a machine for $2.

It's not as complicated as it sounds, and she can always ask for help. She does not want the Silver Line, because that involves Silver -> Red -> Green.

sf7307- how was your trip? Did you son find a place to live?
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 04:23 AM

Either route will work and will take two transfers, but I agree that taking the shuttle and Blue Line will be easier, mostly because it involves transferring at Government Center rather than at Park Street.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 08:49 AM

yk, it was a very productive trip, but it now looks like YLS might win out over HLS (all things being equal, of course one would choose Cambridge over New Haven, but I think all things are not equal....) Thanks for asking.

BTW, I posted about the Silver Line bus because the poster mentioned the Red Line....
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help! I'll give her card A and card B, and let her choose!

Main thing is that she finds the 22 or 33. Worst that will happen is that she'll either call and ask me to meet her soooi early, or she'll catch a cab.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 10:34 PM
yk

Hi lcuy-
What she needs to look for, is a bus that looks like a city bus, with the logo MASSPORT on the side of the bus. The front of the bus will display the route # and will say Airport Station. If you figure out which terminal she'll arrive in, you can click on the link I provided about that will say if she needs to find #22 or #33. Given that she's arriving in the AM during the week, she shouldn't have trouble finding someone to ask if she's unsure.

sf7307 - Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude or disagreeing in earlier response. It can be very confusing to any visitors arriving to Logan to figure out which line they actually need. The Silver Line -> Red Line option works well for people who need the Red Line, but for lcuy's mom, the Blue -> Green will be easier to manage.

BTW, your son is choosing New Haven over Boston? Oh, the horror!
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 03:39 AM

LOL recalling the days of my daughter's college tours, when we spent an hour driving aimlessly about in New Haven, looking for the equivalent of Harvard Square! No trace of one, but this was 20 years ago.

Anyway, finding the shuttle bus from the terminal to the Airport T station is just a matter of following the signs to Ground Transportation. Remember that many of the other passengers will be taking it, too.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 10:54 AM

yk, no offense taken (I should have left it to the locals to respond in the first place!)

Yeah, picking between YLS and HLS was agonizing..fortunately,in the end, they were much more enthusiastic about one than the other. But we certainly agree, New Haven is no Cambridge! Fortunately, the area right around Yale has lots (LOTS!) of good restaurants (which they can't afford, but when we visit, at least we'll have somewhere to eat). The bad news is we won't "get" to visit Boston....the good news is New Haven is a lot closer to New York!