Boston For The Day Transportation Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am flying into Boston for one day arriving early morning 8am and leaving early evening 7pm.

The three things I would like to do are the following

Go to the North End for coffee and pastries at Mike's Pastries

Visit the Boston University store at Barnes and Noble (around the corner from Fenway Park) to shop for some BU items.

Have pizza at Crazy Dough Pizza ( Berkley School of Music area ) before I head back to Logan airport

I need help with public tansportation from Logan. Which busses/trains should I take?

Much appreciation & thanks!
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 01:26 AM

First, be aware you can not store your luggage anywhere at Logan.

Follow signs inside whatever terminal to "Ground Transportation". Go outside to where airport shuttle buses circle - you want the one going to MBTA (they are marked - but ask if you can't find it). This will take you to Airport stop of Blue line - go inbound and get off at Government Center.

This is the Faneuil Hall area, near part of the Freedom Trail, and walking distance to North End - home of Mike's Pastries. They open at 8 AM every day.

(If you have time, plenty to do in this area for an hour or so)

Then depending on wherever exactly you end up in that area, get on the Green Line at either Government Center, Haymarket, North Station (ask someone where nearest Green Line stop is). Go inbound and get off at Kenmore. This is walking distance to BU - I am not sure exactly where bookstore is. Do not get on a Green Line train for "E" branch - A-D will take you to Kenmore, E will not.

You could walk to Berklee from there, or take the Green Line inbound a couple of stops.

Two suggestions - MBTA.com has a route planning tool where you can enter addresses and they will tell you how to get there - I would select subway option rather than having them include the bus routing since that is much more confusing.

Are you sure you want to take the time to go to BU to buy stuff - everything is available on-line, although I know there is something nice about shopping and bringing home souveniers.

To get back to Logan, Green Line to Government Center to Blue Line to Logan.

Allow plenty of time to get back to Logan - when I caution visitors about where they are staying in Boston, this is an example. It is well under 5 miles from Berklee to Logan but trip could take an hour.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 01:55 AM

I agree with gail -- as usual -- but I would get off the Blue Line at Aquarium, take the exit at the REAR of the train, walk through the Marriott Long Wharf Hotel lobby (it is a public footpath, and Christopher Columbus Park, veering away from the water at the little statue of Columbus, then along Richmond Street to North Street, turn right past Paul Revere's house. Take the next left (at Mamma Maria's) and walk one block to Hanover Street. Mike's Pastry will be across Hanover on your left.

It is then an easy walk to Haymarket and the Green Line, and you have seen some of the waterfront and an historic site, and I don't think it is quite as far as walking to/from Government Center.

It is a mostly pretty walk from Kenmore Square (BU Bookstore) down Commonwealth Avenue to Mass Ave, where you turn right and walk three blocks to Berklee, across the decidedly unpretty MassPike viaduct.

You will probably go back to the Hynes Convention Center T stop to catch the Green Line back to Government Center. If you have time, this end of Newbury Street has a lot of interesting shops. The middle of Newbury Street is mostly standard mall stuff that you could find anywhere.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 04:33 AM

Agree (as usual) with ackislander. I like the little walk you describe above - plus the more detailed directions to cannoli will likely be helpful.

If you want to stretch your legs a bit more, continue on Newbury Street or head to Commonwealth Avenue and walk up to Public Gardens - if you are making the trip this spring the flowers should be beautiful in a few weeks.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 05:57 AM
yk

I agree with the above suggestions. Just to add for logistics:

1) When you arrive at the airport, depending on which terminal you are at, you either take Bus #22 (from Terminals A/B) or Bus #33 (Terminals C/E) to get to the BLUE line Airport Station. The bus shuttle is free. http://www.massport.com/LOGAN/getti_typeo_logans.html

2) Since you'll need at least 3 rides on the subway (Airport -> North End; North End -> BU; Berklee -> Airport; I agree I'd walk between BU & Berklee, unless it's pouring rain), when you arrive at the BLUE line Airport Station, use the self-servince vending machine and buy a Charlie Ticket. Put $6 on it ($2 per subway ride), so you don't need to buy a new ticket each time you ride the subway. Here's more info:
http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/charlie/ (look for info under Charlie Ticket.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 06:21 AM
yk

BTW, echoing what gail said in her first sentence, there's no luggage storage at Logan, or anywhere I know of in the city. So hopefully you don't have much, if any, luggage.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 11:05 AM
cw

Just adding to what has been said, when you leave the B.U. bookstore, cross Commonwealth Ave., walk towards Massachusetts Ave. (east) but when you get to the overpass over Comm. Ave., turn right, walk over the Mass. Pike, and bear left towards Boylston St. There are a couple of lanes of traffic to cross but there are stop lights so it is easy. This walk is shorter than going up to Mass. Ave. since Crazy Dough will be on your right in the second block on Boylston.

If it's raining, get on the Green Line Inbound at Kenmore Square and go one stop to the Convention Center. Leaving the station turn left, walk across Boylston St., turn right and cross Mass. Ave, and Crazy Dough is in that first block,

Directions sound complicated but it is easy to find and there are a lot of people around so if you get confused, just ask. Having a map of Boston will be helpful to you throughout your day. Enjoy!

http://www.crazydoughs.com/
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone!

Your directions and information on the public transportation system is greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Old Mar 30th, 2010, 10:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with Ackislander as well, only thing I'd add is go to Modern Pastry instead of Mike's. ;-)
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 11:37 AM

I actually agree with amyb on Modern vs Mike's on pastry but Mike's does have gelato.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 01:18 PM

Modern had gelato a few months ago, and what I had was good. Do they not sell it any longer?
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 01:32 PM

Silly argument - Modern vs Mike. OP will just have to go to both - problem solved.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 02:04 PM

I'm with gail on this one -- but let's add in Maria's to the North End Italian pastry mix to hit the three really good spots there.

sinceregirl, you'll just have to sample goodies at all three and give us a report back.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 07:28 PM
yk

I don't recall ever seeing gelato @ Modern Bakery... At least I've never seen a display case of gelato.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 01:03 PM

yk-

The gelato case was in the front window. Maybe it is only a warm-weather thing and they removed it for the winter, or maybe it it did not sell as well as they had hoped.

At any rate, it was there in the past!