Boston subway

Old Aug 28th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston subway

Hi, i will be flying into Logan next month and i was wondering how easy it was to get to my hotel on Franklin street using the subway. Would a taxi be better on my first visit to Boston and what would the cost be?
Thanks, frankhp58
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 08:44 AM

Franklin Street where - name of hotel? there are a couple of Franklin Streets.

General answer is that at Logan one must first take a shuttle bus to MBTA and then Blue Line or Silver Line and then some other bus or subway line (depending on which Franklin St).

MBTA.com is public transportation website (everyone calls subway "The T") and has a feature on home page where you can enter origination and destination and they will route it for you. Very useful tool.

Enjoy Boston.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 10:34 AM
yk

Assuming you mean Franklin Street in the Financial District, you can take the Blue Line from Airport Station to State Street Station, and walk to your hotel. It'd be better if you tell us the hotel name or address of your hotel.

From the airport terminal, take the MassPort Shuttle to the BLUE LINE AIRPORT station. Then, it's just a couple of stops on the Blue line to State Street station. It's $2.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 10:44 AM

I went to Boston for 5 days this month from a no-mass-transit city. I found the subway there very easy to use. There are signs to mass transit and an information desk at the exit at Logan.

You do take a shuttle bus to the blue line at Logan.Then join everyone else at the blue line stop and get on.

If you are staying awhile, it's worth it to get the one week transit pass for $15.

Our taxi from Logan to the Copley area of Boston was estimated by the guy at the information desk to be about $28.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all those replies. I will be staying at the Langham for those who wanted to know which franklin street.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 01:46 PM
yk

The Langham is about equal distance from either the Aquarium stop OR the State stop; both are on the BLUE line. State is slightly closer (0.3 miles) vs Aquarium (0.4 miles). It's probably an easier walk from State station, meaning that you're less likely to get lost. Go to Google maps and click on "get directions", type in your start and end points, and it map out your walking route.

Again, from the airport terminal, you first need to board a shuttle (looks like a city bus) to get to the Blue Line Airport station. IIRC, you're arriving from the UK, which means you'll arrive into Terminal E, so you need to look for #33 shuttle. http://www.massport.com/LOGAN/getti_typeo_logans.html

From the Airport Station, the third stop is State Station.
http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_ma...es/?route=BLUE
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 02:35 PM

Love the Langham hotel..true classic hotel..
I find the T hard to navigate..maybe its me but the wife felt the same..no problems on the Tube or the Metro in Paris.
Boston is such a great city!
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 05:08 PM
TKT

It is easiest to pay with a credit card when you buy your subway ticket.

The massport bus to the Blue line is free.

You will be going in-bound. Aquarium the second stop and State the third
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 06:10 PM

Their multipass card is called the "Charlie Card". There are kiosks at the various stations where you can buy one in the amount of your choice. Just don't lose it!
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 06:30 PM
yk

Actually, the Charlie Card is just a plastic card which you can get for free from any T employee. It has $0 stored value on it. With the plastic Charlie Card in hand, you then go to the self-service machines to add $ onto the stored value card. You can add however much amount to it; however, you canNOT get a refund of any unused $ left on the Charlie Card.

OTOH, Charlie TICKET is a paper ticket you buy directly from the self-service machines. You determine how much $ you want to be on the Charlie Ticket. I believe any unused amount on the Charlie Ticket is also non-refundable.

The main differences between Charlie Card and Charlie Ticket:
1) Subway and bus fares are cheaper with the Card than the Ticket
2) You have to get the plastic card (with $0) from a T employee

http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/charlie/?id=5592
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 07:36 PM

Thanks for clarifying yk. I assumed the paper ticket was the same as the card.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 09:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
A gentle reminder that Charlie Cards/tickets are no good on the commuter rail. I saw way too many tourists on the commuter rail to the North Shore try to use them and couldn't. They just haven't figured out how to make it work on the CR yet.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 10:21 AM

I assume we can get a single ticket for a single ride without having to buy either a "card" or a "ticket"?
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 12:30 PM

In order to ride, you need to buy a Charlie ticket, but you can put as much or as little $ as you want on it. So if you're just going for 1 ride, you put $2 on and you're set to go.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 07:04 PM
yk

Yes, easytraveler, you need a ticket to ride the T. For one single ride, you just buy a Charlie ticket for $2. If you will be riding the T quite a bit, it's your advantage to use a Charlie card, as the fare using the Card is $1.70 vs $2 using the ticket.