Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best Way to get from Boston Logan Airport to Park Plaza Hotel

Old Aug 29th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need to get to the Park Plaza Hotel in the Back Bay area of Boston from Logan Airport. Would appreciate advise on what would be the most reasonable means of transportation. This "T" that I have heard about, would that be the way to go and how close will I get to the hotel by taking this? What exactly is the "T"? Thanks.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 08:35 PM

The T is the subway get off at Arlington and you'll be about
less than two blocks from the hotel.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 08:52 PM

You'll need to take one of the airport buses (MBTA bus) from the airport terminal to the airport T station. I think it is either 66 or 67, depending on which terminal you board from (this bus is free). The buses run about every 10-15 minutes. From the airport T station, buy a $1 token and get on the MBTA blue line and take it inbound to Government Center (last stop on the blue line). Switch to the green line outbound - A, B, C, or D train on the green line - all will head to Arlington Station. From Arlington Street, walk to St. James Street, and take a left, which will take you to the Park Plaza Hotel. You can also take the Green line to Boylston Street, which is probably even closer, walk one block up Boylston Street along the common, take a left at the Four Seasons (corner of Charles and Boylston Street). Right behind the Four Seasons is the Park Plaza.

cigalchanta did not give you all of the directions. From the airport, getting on the bus, time on two lines on the T, and walking, it should take you 45 minutes to an hour, but it will only cost you $1.

However, for a $15 flat fee you can take any of the advertised mini vans, however, you may very well end up stopping at some of the other hotels along the way. Make sure that you take one that is headed towards Copley Square or Back Bay.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response! Leslie, what a great help you are! I appreciate it so much. Any (good) reasonable restaurants close by the Park Plaza Hotel?
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 09:27 PM

By the way, not all of the T stations have escalators, so if you're carrying anything more than a 22" wheeled suitcase, and if you have trouble lifting it, opt for the mini van. As an example, the T station at the airport is steps going down to the blue line, but coming back, there's an escalator. I believe that the only way to switch between the green and blue lines is by staircase.

The Park Plaza is across the street from the Transportation Building. At street level is California Pizza Kitchen, a brew pub (name I don't recall), and the Pho Pasteur, which is a Vietnamese restaurant. You're two blocks from Chinatown, and there are some great restaurants there. At the Park Plaza on the ground level are a number of restaurants - McCormick & Schmidt, and 2 or 3 others, including an Au Bon Pain. In the parking garage across the street from the Park Plaza on the ground level is a Legal Seafood, an Italian restaurant, and a steak restaurant. Both names escape me, but they are very good. Also, at the Park Plaza is an Au Bon Pain (quick stop for breakfast - good coffee), a Ben & Jerry's and a wonderful restaurant to have dessert - all that is served there (name also escapes me, prices are on the high side - $8 and up). Sorry for the vagueness, but I just moved to Kansas 3 months ago.

But check out www.phantomgourmet.com or www.chowhound.com - Phantom Gourmet is more local to Boston and New England. But, either will do for restaurants. There are also plenty of choices in Copley Square - about a 15-20 minute walk from the Park Plaza. On the way, you'll pass Skipjack's (great for fish). Also, ask the concierge at your hotel for recommendations.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 09:45 PM

Leslie, Do you mean Finale?
My favorite in that area is a little more than reasonable, Trouquets on Boylston street across from the Boston Common.
Sorry to hear you left Boston Leslie.
And Ediee, I hope you have a wonderful time. Sorry to be so bad giving directions.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 09:57 PM

Yup, Finale is the name of the dessert restaurant. Also at the Park Plaza is Bonfire, which is one of Todd English's restaurants. You might also want to try Fire & Ice which is a Brazilian style barbeque restaurant on St. James Street. It's an all you can eat type place - you pick the ingredients and the chef will prepare it for you.

Hey, I spent 32 years in the Boston area. And, I can't even count how many times I have flown in and out of Boston or hopped the T. Now, getting to know Wichita, is my new challenge. Luckily, it's laid out on a grid much like NYC. I don't have any problem finding restaurants - there are a bazillion of them, but if only I could find one really good Chinese restaurant, I'd be in heaven. I'd be ecstatic if I could find one that delivered.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Leslie and Cigal you two are awesome, my trip into Boston will go so much smoother with this information. Thanks!!!
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 05:17 AM

As usual, Leslie has great and accurate information about Boston area - only thing I can think to add is you might want to go to MBTA.com (the site for the "T"). Fairly good site that will give you visual info on route she is suggesting plus info for the rest of your trip. Enjoy Boston.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 08:25 AM

Also for food, chowhound.com