Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Transport from Newark Int. to 81 St./Upper East Side?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've got 3 adults and a 20 month old along with about 5 pieces of luggage and a couple of carry-ons.

Have sussed out what a cab would be (with tip and tolls, about $70 - 75. Yikes). Next best suggestion? (Remembering the luggage and baby)

Second question: Got an idea or two for a toddler-friendly restaurant? He's very easygoing and we take him most everywhere, but we obviously won't take him anwhere too high-end. On the other hand, I can't handle Bennigans/TGIFridays without breaking out in a rash. Much appreciated...
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 02:03 PM

I would recommend a shuttle service. The following website lists trasportation option from Newark.

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/egtsfram.htm
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 05:02 PM

With that many people I can't imagine that a shuttle would be any cheaper than a cab - besides letting you off in midtown - thus requiring you to take a cab uptown anyway. (Taking the subway with a toddler and all that luggage would be madness IMO.) If you call a car service in advance you will at least be sure of the price - perhaps a better option than a cab on the spot.

You won;t find chain restaurants in residential areas in New York - only in the tourist centers. New Yorkers are used to better food - so there are tons of good, inexpensive neighborhood restaurants - most of which will welcome a child - especially if you eat early (before 8pm).
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 05:32 PM
bk3

A quick look Avis's website makes it seem they now only have NYC to Newark 1 way car rental specials (@$27) but maybe if ya call they still have Newark to NYC like they used to. I can't recall but I know Avis was not alone in this type of 1 way car rental deal. See http://www.avis.com/AvisWeb/JSP/US/e...way_newark.jsp

For food tips of all kinds, there is chowhound.com This link is to the latest baby-friendly restaurant posting

http://www.chowhound.com/boards/manh...es/118629.html

have a great time here in nyc!
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips so far. You're kind of confirming what I thought so far: we need something door-to-door (especially since we're new to NYC). Here's what I'm thinking:

We have 3 trips to/from Newark:
1. Our arrival as a group.
2. One of our group leaves a week later.
3. My wife, son and I leave 3 days after that.

Since we need a minivan for the ride in (can't seem to get all the people and luggage in a car), I'm going to suggest to a car service that we'll book all 3 rides with them at once PROVIDING they give us the minivan ride for the price of a car. Thoughts? (Will let you know how my bartering goes...ha...)

Thanks as well for the restaurant tips (IMO, New Yorkers seem to be extremely helpful)...any other info would be appreciated...
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:22 PM

I live in NY, and I often use Tel Aviv car service to/from airports... 212-777-7777... though I can't remember offhand what they charge for Newark...

A child-friendly restaurant on the UES is Tony Di Napoli's... Italian family-style place, like Carmine's without as much of a wait. I think it's on 2nd Ave in the upper 70's. Near there is a very cool coffee house, DT-UT.

Good luck!
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:56 PM

I was going to recommend Tony Di Napoli's too. It's on 83rd and 2nd. VERY child-friendly, hence I've only been there once even though I lived upstairs. DTUT is between 84th and 85th on 2nd. There are just a TON of dining options on 2nd Avenue. Another favorite of mine when I lived up there was Liberta, on 2nd between 81st & 82nd, I believe. Good Italian.
Old May 4th, 2004, 03:46 PM
SAB

I would suggest that for the individual that is leaving alone that instead of paying for a third car trip to Newark that he or she take the Newark airport bus that leaves from near Grand Central. I took it coming and going the weekend before last and it was quick and convenient. For the rest of the group it sounds as though your best option is a car service.
Old May 4th, 2004, 05:59 PM
GoTravel

I can't imagine a car service that would barter with you unless it is a gypsy cab and that's illegal.

I had a similar situation last summer. We hired a car to get us into the city and everyone was on their own going back to the airport. We all had different flights.

Also, what if we paid up front and then the car didn't show up? I've had cars in the past (not often) not show up at the airport.

For the best toddler freindly places, eat early.