Cost and options from JFK, New York

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost and options from JFK, New York

Five of us will be flying into JFK in June, a Monday about noon. I've never flown into this airport before. I read on the forums that there is a set cab fee; can anyone tell me what the fee is? Will any of the cabs lined up be mini vans or will we need to use a car service to avoid two cab fees?
Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 07:53 AM

According to

www.panynj.gov/aviation/jgtsmain.htm#manhattan

the flat rate from JFK to Manhattan is $45, plus tolls and tip. The link also gives other options.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 09:11 AM

By law NYC taxis can take only 4 paseners. It doesn;tmatter what kind of cab it is they can't have more than 4 passengers (except for a small child - 5 or less - on an adult's lap).

If you have luggage to deal with suggest you call one of the car services and tell them how many people and how much luggage - and they will give you a quote.

Depending on where you stay a shuttle bus (NOT Super Shuttle which is not reliable) is I think about $17 per person - but then you need to get a cab or walk or subway from the central drop off point (Grand Central or Port Authority) to your hotel.

If you have only a carry-on you can take Air Train to subway or LIRR into the city - for rom $7 to $12 per person - again depending on where your hotel is. I don;t reco this if you have large bags - due to dealing with stairs, long pasageways etc in the subway.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 04:39 AM

5 will not fit in one cab. If you take 2 cabs, you're spending about $120.

http://www.airlinknyc.com/limousines.html is a shared shuttle service that will take you to your hotel. It's apparently more reliable than Super Shuttle. For $17/person it's ok.

The car service cos. used most often are the ones listed on the link PaulRabe gave you. I like limores.net
Each co. has a slightly different policy on groups over 4 for size/type of vehicle and price. Get a few quotes.

Where exactly are you going in Manhattan. If you're very close to Grand Central Terminal, Penn Station, Port Authority or Bryant Park, these are drop off points for the Express Airport Shuttle bus which is $15/person. If you don't have much luggage the AirTrain might work for you.

Tell us where you're going and how the 5 are.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info so far. We will be staying in the Upper West Side at the Belleclaire Hotel, 250 West 77th Street. Four of us are mid-40s and one of us (our mother) is mid-60s. We are all in good shape and able to walk long distances. We will have luggage for 6 days, however, so we're talking about a small and medium-sized bag for each of us, I would guess.
I'd appreciate any info. on how close our hotel is to any of the shuttle dropoff locations. If it means a long cab ride from the dropoff, however, a car service is probably a more sensible idea.
If we need a car service, can we schedule it before we are actually there or do we wait and call when we're in the airport?
This is new for me; I've never been to NYC with a group larger than 4, so taxis were always our transportation from the airport. Thanks again.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 08:17 AM

The closest drop off point is Port Authority and that's still 30 blocks away. You can indeed order a car service in advance. I think your decision should really depend on the rates you get quoted for the car service. Keep in mind the Airline shared shuttle is $17/person so see how much over that your own car/minivan would be and decide.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 09:21 AM

A cab (and you would need 2) from Port Authority to the Belleclaire will be in the range of $10 or so plus tip.

So - if the shuttle is $15 x 5 plus $20 you're talking $95-$100. If you can get a car service van for that or close that's what I would do.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 01:04 PM

The cheapest option, aside from a city bus to the Lots Ave. line ($2 per person), would be the AirTrain to the A train. Take the A train to 59th st. and either change to the local (cross the platform) to 81 st. and walk a few blocks to the hotel, or change to the no. 1 (takes more effort than taking the other local) at 59th to get off on Broadway and 79.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 04:00 PM

Not sure the latter would be prctical for a 60's lady with a suitcase - since there are several sets of stairs it would have to be dragged up and down.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:06 PM

nytraveler,

My wife and I do it all the time (I'm the mule), and we are 64.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:29 PM

If you have luggage for 6 days, the Airtrain is NOT an option in my opinion.

Take 2 taxis or call a car service and see what it can do for your group.

www.dial7.com
212-777-7777
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:35 PM

The mini van cabs can accommodate 5 people. I'm almost positive. Although they're not common enough that I'd rely on it for your arrival.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 07:27 AM

Some taxi mini-vans are set-up for 5 people, but many are not.

And, as suggested, mini-van cabs are few and far between.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 09:48 AM

Well - I guess it's how much you value comfort/convenience over money.

I take the subway all the time - but IMHO any luggage more than a small shoulder carry-on and public transit is a combination that is just too much trouble. (And I can;t imagine one person dealing with TWO suitcases under those conditions.) Just not worth it to save a few $.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 10:57 AM

The mini-van cabs CAN seat 5 people, but they often won't take the group, as by law they're not supposed to (as mentioned above). I would imagine that in the airport taxi line, they'll be more likely to err on the side of caution.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 12:16 PM

I'd like to clarify the whole cab sitaution so no one is confused. Yellow cabs in NYC (whether they are minivans or not) DO NOT ever take 5 adults---these are the cabs you can get by standing in line at the stands at JFK. That is not a maybe. That is definite. A car-service minivan CAN carry 5 adults but must be arranged in advance.

If you are going to the Upper West Side, I'd urge you to arrange in advance with a car service like Dial 7 transportation for five adults. It's expensive but your best option.

Personally, though, at that time of the day, I'd take the Airtrain and then the subway up from Penn Station to avoid the traffic. For me, it's not as much the cost savings as the time savings, which could be substantial in the middle of the day on a weekday. And I'd simply pack light.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 12:18 PM

No, that simply is not accurate. Many of the mini-van taxis, maybe 50% in my experience, have one bench seat that holds 3 people (like a car) plus the front passenger seat. They hold only 4 people.

The other mini-vans do have two rows of seating in the rear, but they hold far less luggage and I've been told by drivers are not favored by said drivers.

(I'm in taxis just about every day, 7 days a week.)
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 12:22 PM

(My post was in response to Tarheels, not Doug.)

But Doug, the original poster says they'll have luggage for 6 days in the City, 2 bags each, and one of the travelers is a woman in her 60's. I hardly think the trains are an option.

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 12:28 PM

Gekko, I read the bit about the luggage. I still say pack lighter and take the Airtrain. Anyone who needs 2 bags for 6 days is packing too much. (As you can tell, I'm one of those who does 2 weeks in a 20-inch wheeled bag in Europe.)
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 12:30 PM

I hear you, but we're talking about 4 people in their 40's and one in her 60's ... and at least one of 'em is a woman ... my fiancee (early 30's) packs more shoes than will fit in your roller.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -