Snorkeling Equipment

Search

Snorkeling Equipment

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snorkeling Equipment

Thought about bringing our own snorkeling equipment from home vs. trying to buy in Oahu. I would think snorkeling equipment readily available just about anywhere, but are prices high? We thought about buying at a sporting goods close to home and bringing it with us.
Old May 4th, 2004, 09:07 AM
GoTravel

Do you live near the coast? If so, your local Walmart should carry snorkel gear.

I know mine carries US Diver stuff.

Old May 4th, 2004, 09:24 AM

Costco has good prices, just make sure the mask fits before leaving on your trip and return it if it doesn't. I always bring my own.
Old May 4th, 2004, 10:07 AM

I bought a wonderful mask and snorkel at Snorkel Bob's on Maui. Not overpriced. I think you'll find more selection on Oahu, unless you live in an area where there are a lot of dive shops. As others have said, make sure the mask fits you well.
Old May 4th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Is is much of a hassle to bring your own? I was thinking about bringing my kids boogie boards too. I was going to try and fit everything into an army duffle bag. It's pretty good sized. I'm wondering if someone else has done the same and if the airlines are okay with it. We're flying Continental.
Old May 4th, 2004, 10:44 AM

Why not just rent?
Old May 4th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

I don't want to rent for several reasons, one being we plan to try and snorkel almost everyday and at different locations. Some are locations where its not heavily traveled, and there's probably no place to rent. Also, I know it sounds silly, but I have a hard time renting something that I know someone else has stuck in their mouth!
Old May 4th, 2004, 11:18 AM

Can't address your last remark, but you can rent by the day or week and just take the gear with you wherever you go. It's fairly inexpensive.

I prefer to have my own mask and snorkel, for proper fit as opposed to germ squeamishness. It's easy to transport these items. It's the flippers and boogie boards that require an extra duffel bag. If you're only going to be in one place, why not bring them from home if you already own them?

Again, if you are ready to invest in some snorkel gear, there is a huge range in the price you can pay. If you have the selection where you live, I'd buy it there so you don't have to spend time on your vacation. If not, you can make this your first "activity" in Hawaii.
Old May 4th, 2004, 11:21 AM

PS One reason I purchased my mask at Snorkel Bob's was that they offer magnifying lenses in varying strengths for the mask. Prescription lenses are very expensive, but I have found the magnifying lenses work quite well at a fraction of the cost. Snorkel Bob's told me to try them out and if they weren't right, bring them back and exchange them for a different strength. I thought that was great customer service, and I love the mask.

It fits me so much better than any others I've had, and it really makes a huge difference in the snorkeling experience.
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:40 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with Marilyn about the mask!
Before our first trip to Oahu, we purchased mask,snorkel,& fins from a local "mart".
What a mistake!!-the first 1/2 hour in the water with leaky mask was miserable. We bailed and after drying off (and a trip to the trash can)we drove to a local dive shop in Haleiwa (North shore)-Surf N Sea- and got properly fitted by a trained salesperson. Any good store will stock many masks at a multitude of price levels. We spent many happy afternoons at Shark's Cove after that. (I have upgraded my snorkel since that trip)
We cart it all with us in a bag that is just about as long as the fins-sunscreen, large towels,fold-up cooler, etc. I suppose you could rent
the mask and fins if you are not sure this will be your new sport, but insist on a proper fitting mask for a happy
trip.
R5
PS
The "expensive" part came about with having to toss the leaky mask!
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:52 PM

Aloha all!

I would not purch my snorkel equip from a Walmart... you get what you pay for... chances are leaky bad fit, etc.

diversdirect.com has EVERYTHING you can think of in all price ranges. I have tried masks on at a local shop and then asked them to match diversdirect prices.

Nothing better than a great mask & snorkel.

We traveled to O'ahu in March w/ 2 boogie boards shoved into a college laundry bag... just the boards, nothing else, and it was a breeze to carry & check... they made it through baggage fine.

We usually carry a seperate "snorkel bag" a rolling duffel filled w/ snorkel stuff, collapsable cooler, mini speakers & diskman, candles, cooking spices & such... just a general throw all bag. It works great.

If you want to save on space leave the flippers at home & just rent those... personally, I like my own.

Have a wonderful time... aloha!
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:57 PM

Aloha R5!!

I didn't read your post before posting mine... funny, we said the same thing!
lol ><
Old May 4th, 2004, 03:09 PM

Great minds, makai1!

R5
Old May 4th, 2004, 03:21 PM

When my three kids did frequent visits to Hawaii to visit family, the all took their own equipment. They fit nicely in a mesh bag that came with their sets we purchased from a local dive shop here in town. They just put them in their suitcases. It worked out very nice. ***kim***
Old May 4th, 2004, 06:10 PM
GoTravel

Geez. I purchased my dive mask, fins, and snorkel which is all US Diver, which is a good brand, from Walmart.

This is my dive gear. It fits well and doesn't leak. I also use it to snorkel.

My husband, who is a dive master, packs our dive gear in a rolling dive bag and we use it to snorkel.

Unless you plan on doing a lot of snorkeling or diving, I wouldn't spend more than $50 on your gear.