Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Suggestions needed! Where to buy snorkel gear before trip to HI? Ebay ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to purchase snorkel gear prior to our trip. I know Walmart has sets, but can anyone recommend an Ebay seller or other online company? We are beginners, so we don't need professional gear but would like gear that won't fall apart and that we could use again. Thanks!

Leaving 1 month from today for our very first taste of paradise
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 03:21 PM

Having told my story many times here
about the absoulute junk we purchased at a *****Mart prior to our first snorkle trip, I would advise you to
buy it when you get there. Get properly fitted for masks by a knowledgeable sales person, or you might experience the leeks and misery we experienced only to have to toss the *****Mart stuff in the trash, thus losing our first morning of snorkeling.

There is no need to spend a fortune at all. I'd purchase the snorkel as well,
I like knowing where the mouthpiece has been, but you could rent the fins.
Snorkel Bob's has locations on Oahu, Kauai, Maui & the Big Island.
R5
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 03:28 PM

I've snorkeled extensively and we always just rent our gear at our destination. You can rent for a week or more so you can still plan your own outings. The local shops are also usually very helpful with maps, hidden spots, etc to check out. I think you'll get much better equiptment renting than you would if you try to budget shop. I'm a HUGE ebay fan, but wouldn't go there for snorkel gear - you want to be able to try it on (another benefit of renting - you can try different kinds to see which feels best, and if you have a problem you can exchange for another set). Have a great time - snorkeling is fabulous and Hawaii beautiful!!
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 03:55 PM

We bought our snorkeling gear at Costco while we were in Hawaii. Good price and totally dry valve snorkels. I believe there is a location on Maui, Oahu and Hawaii.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 05:04 PM

You can rent gear here at very reasonable rates from various places, ie snorkel bobs. Also, there is a costco right by the airport and they carry stuff. But why encumber yourself with snorkel gear when you leave you have to pack it up and take home. I heard of one couple who had six sets sitting in thier garage. Everytime they came the bought another set, vowing to remember to pack.

For good places to go, check with Nadine at www.alohabound.com. This is an online activities companies who sells snorkels trips etc. They have discounted prices, with no time shares crap. Most of the snorkel trips out to Molokini Crater or whatever will supply gear, at no extra cost. So this also may eliminate the need to purchase.

Aloha and have a great vacation!
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 05:18 PM

Trying on masks will ensure a better fit and a better overall experience so either buy in advance or rent at Snorkel Bobs.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 09:20 PM

Just posted this on the Caribbean board: Thought I'd pass this along to those who like to snorkel and don't need anything fancy-shmancy, but still prefer to have own gear. Had to replace a few snorkel sets of ours that were recently stolen in Hawaii. (DO NOT leave belongings inside your rental car, even if well hidden. I knew this, but brain was on vacation, too. Our bag was in back of rental van, couldn't be seen from outside.) I just received a couple adult size snorkel sets I ordered at 123scuba.com. (I am consumer only, NOT employee!) This is link: www.island-scuba.com/p-MFS08.html. Very reasonable price for all you get, and I got free shipping because my order was over $75. For the fins, we ordered size M for women's shoe size 8 1/2 (wide feet) and L for men's shoe size 10 and they fit just fine. I also got a couple adult size rash guards for $24.99 each (www.island-scuba.com/p-TSL330.html). After shopping around, I find these are pretty good deals.

Hope this helps.

Old Sep 20th, 2005, 06:17 AM

Be sure you know your glasses prescription, if anyone in your family has vision problems. My husband insisted that I get a mask with a corrective lens and it made a world of different. I saw bright, beautiful fish while our friend - who is about as near sighted as I, saw fuzzy fish.

Old Sep 20th, 2005, 07:17 AM

I can't imagine buying a mask without trying it on first. There are lots of different sizes, shapes, and styles and the only way to know which best fits your face is to try them on. I got mine at a scuba equipment shop in my home town (after I had snorkeled a few times with rented gear and decided I wanted my own equipment).
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 09:26 AM

I ordered sets from snorkel-mart.com
I needed one regular set, one optically adjusted set and their prices were good for both.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 07:04 PM

Good to know stuff:
http://www.snorkeling-hawaii-insider...com/index.html
click on: "Should I buy or Rent my snorkeling gear."