Transfers from Lexington Ave to JFK

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone offer advice on whether the New York Airport Service bus or a cab would be more economical for two people. I have searched here but threads were a little dated so just wanted some current advice? Also, if flight leaves at 2.00pm (domestic) how long should they allow to get to airport? Thanks.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 09:09 PM

FROM JFK to Lexington Ave on UES, we took the subway system and it took maybe about an hour or 90 minutes? But that was early on a Saturday morning, coming from the airport.

From my experience going TO the airport from the UES, I wouldn't chance it and would take a cab (despite the cost- because it'll cost more to re-book your ticket if you miss it!). Allow at least three hours before your flight takes off. So, I'd leave for the airport at 11.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 06:33 AM

Two people with luggage? Reserve a car service:

www.carmellimo.com

Have the car pick you up at 11:30.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 07:34 AM

Where on Lexington Avenue - it's miles long - and the answer will depend on where you are - both on the price of a cab/car servie - and how long you should leave.

And - which airline is it? (I have several times waited over an hour just for security at American - so if that's it I wold leave the city at least 3 hours in advance. Day of the week - esp if during the holidays also matters.)
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 07:43 AM

The cheapest option is to take the Lexington Ave. line to a transfer point with the New Lots Ave. line (the no. 3, I believe). Look at any subway & bus map like the large ones in the subway, and you will see that there is an MTA bus that goes from New Lots Ave. to JFK. You may want to call the MTA, they have an information service that will give you the anticipated travel times depending on time of travel and days of the week.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 07:59 AM

Just correcting an error in nytraveler's response -- car services like Carmel offer a FLAT FEE, so it doesn't matter where you are on Lexington Avenue or all of Manhattan, the price will be the same.

(This fact is one reason why car services are ofter cheaper than cabs -- the meter isn't running in heavy traffic.)
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 08:00 AM

Agree that "where" on Lexington Ave is a key question. Near 42 st. where the airport bus departs, yes it would be cheaper. I believe it's $15/person so $30 total. A taxi will cost $50-60 including tolls and tip and will be dependent on traffic. If you want a flat fare, a car service like Tel Aviv or Carmel will work

telavivlimo.com
carmellimo.com

If you're near 50th st. and don't have tons of luggage, the E train subway is another alternative. Get out at Sutphin blvd. station and transfer to the AirTrain. That will be $7/person ($2 for subway and $5 for AirTrain) Here's the subway map

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 08:31 AM

I'd offer one more option for ozgirl. She could take the subway to Penn Station (15 minutes) and then the Long Island Railroad and AirTrain to JFK (about 45 minutes). She'd have to leave at 11am at least, and if it's off-peak hours, you can do the trip for a reasonable fee ($2 for the subway, about $7 for the train, $5 for AirTrain). Those amounts aren't exact, but it's not a bad deal and potentially faster than a car service on a weekday. If she's staying in the gob of hotels near Lex and 50th, then she takes the R/N, E, or F train.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Just to clarify, this will be my son and friend leaving from Shelburne Murray Hill,303 Lexington and flying UA to LA (not sure yet where at JFK that would be?) It will be on a Tuesday, 7th Feb. I guess they want a combination of economical but easy, given that they aren't seasoned travellers (well they might be by then!) but I am just trying to research best options before they leave next week.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 05:25 AM

The only thing I would add in addition to what I've said before is that, while I still feel the Airtrain would be a better option, the couple would be only a couple of blocks from the New York Airport Service bus stop, which is on Park, just south of Grand Central. It makes that look like a more compelling option than it would if they were in the hotels on Lex in Midtown.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 04:41 AM

With all due respect to Mr. Stallings, the Shelburne is IN midtown. The bus is not just compelling, it's a no brainer. The NY Airport shuttle bus is the cheapest and easiest way for them to go from the Shelburne. It's just a few blocks walk to the stop at Park ave b/w 41 & 42 st. $15/person, no changing, no dragging luggage up and down stairs.

The boys should confirm with United which terminal their flight leaves from. United is in both 6 & 7. I think 6 is used for SFO & LAX flights and others leave from 7 but they should check. The bus will make stops at all the terminals (or ask riders which terminals they need).
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 10:27 AM
sandi

The bus at 41/42Sts. and Park Ave would be the cheapest. But, if there is traffic it won't matter if on the bus or with a car service. Both would head out of the city through the Midtown tunnel and time of day can be a determining factor.

Whichever they choose, be sure to leave sufficient time. We've made it to JFK in as little as 30-minutes and as long as 2-hrs. I'd plan on the worst case and leave the City by 11am. If they have time to spare, at least they're at the airport.

Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 01:09 PM

The bus is safer too!
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks once again, that is exactly the sort of detail that will really help! Looks like the bus is the way to go.