Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Transfer time at LAX from Domestic Flight to International

Old Jun 11th, 2015, 12:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using a travel website, I just booked a multi-flight trip that booked me for a domestic flight from Denver to LAX and giving me 53 min to get from there to the correct terminal for my departure on London.

I haven't flown through LAX alot, is it even feasible to expect me to to make it in time?

I don't have to go through customs or anything, but do I have to go through airport security again?
I'll already be checked in, it's just a matter of getting to the gate on time.
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 03:34 AM

Is this is single ticket? If so the airline is responsible for getting you to London on the next available plane - which given how full flights are may be the next day.

If these are multiple tickets you are on your own if you don't make the second flight and would have to buy a new ticket at the walk up flight.

Have you determined if your luggage will be checked through between the flights? If not, there is no way you will make this.

And if your incoming flight is late you may well miss your ongoing flight - since flight doors for international flights often close 20 minutes before flight time - meaning you have only 33 minutes to race to the next gate.

Have you checked:

Where each flight arrives and departs from?
The on-time record of your incoming flight?
When the airline requires you check in for the ongoing flight?

There is no way I would do this but I am risk averse.
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 05:36 AM

Simply put, a 53 minute connection between a domestic and international flight is way too short.

While there are shuttle buses you can take between your arrival terminal and Tom Brady International Terminal you'll need TIME to make the trip. How much TIME depends on which terminal your arrival flight uses and how long you have to wait for the shuttle bus (they run every 10 minutes).

At best, it will take you 10 minutes to deplane and exit the terminal, say another 5 minutes to wait for the shuttle bus, 10 minutes to get from your arrival terminal to TBIT, and 20 minutes more to clear TSA at TBIT and get to your arrival gate. That's a minimum of 45 minutes giving you only 8 minutes cushion. And that assumes all the stars aline perfectly and the gate agent for your international flight hasn't stopped the boarding process before you get there. You have NO ROOM for even the slightest delay.

This is one of those situations when you should have asked for advice BEFORE booking your flights. However, what's done is done. Contact the Travel Website's Customer Service representative ASAP and change your flights so you have more connecting time.

For me, I'd allow at least 90 minutes - 2 hours would be better.
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 06:38 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Tell us what airline(s) are involved and it will be easier to advise.

Airlines publish "minimum connection times" (MCTs) that vary with each airport. People who sell connecting tickets (such as OTAs like Expedia) are obliged to insure that connection times observe those minimums, whether or not they're in the same terminal or require a terminal change. 53 minutes is so short that it sounds like you're not changing terminals, in which case it shouldn't be an issue.
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 07:22 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Simply put, a 53 minute connection between a domestic and international flight is way too short.

While there are shuttle buses you can take between your arrival terminal and Tom Brady International Terminal
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 07:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like maybe United from Denver and then United same terminal to London? I hope so.
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 07:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, it really does help to know which airlines fly out of which terminals and that information is easy to get at the LAX airport website. Arbitrarily telling you that 53 minutes is "way too short" without knowing the airline(s) involved is irresponsible IMO.
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 09:41 AM

ggig, what are the airlines and flight numbers? Date of travel?

The flight number will help identify the operating carrier. For example, if your LAX-London flight is Delta, then it could be Delta 4385 operated by Virgin Atlantic or it could be Delta 34. Those "Delta" flights use different terminals (2 and 5).

You might not need to, but it sounds like you still have several hours to cancel & refund the ticket without penalty given that your post was about 9 hours ago and shortly after you booked the ticket. You have 24 hours (probably) from the time you booked.

If it is all on United then you have enough time, but you don't have plenty of time. DEN-LAX probably will be on time and you will be ok. If it is late, though, and it arrives at T6 and the LHR flight is at T8 then you won't have to go thru security again, but you might not make to gate 8x before the door closes.

nytraveler and RoamsAround might not book this, but I would if I couldn't get a bit more connection time at the same price.

The date of travel matters because of a possible weather delay in Denver.
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you do decide to go ahead with this, check beforehand on a map where the different terminals are so you can run like hell if you need to, to reach the second terminal. We did a similar thing, flew Denver to LAX then LAX to Australia (Melb) and the Denver flight was late so we were in a bit of a panic. Waiting for the shuttle would have eaten into our time and we knew the terminal was walkable (runnable).

We had to queue for our boarding pass to Australia at LAX as United at Denver were useless and couldn't issue it, even though it was all booked together. That took a bit of time, then we had to go through security again.

Also we had an argument with United at Denver over how much luggage was allowed and should be paid for. United told us they had different rules from Qantas but I had a printout saying 2 bags each was allowed on the entire journey and stood my ground and they backed down. It wasn't very pleasant.

One last thing, check in at Denver took AGES, because of the two flights, one being international, so allow plenty of time. In the end we had to run for the domestic flight and nearly missed it.
Kay