Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fall in New England- Itinerary Assistance!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2015, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!
My husband and are looking to visit New England in October (most likely a Wednesday arrival and Sunday departure- so 4 nights and 3-4 days). We'd like to start in Maine (somewhere?) and drive down the coast and end up somewhere(?) to fly back to South Carolina on Sunday, but we both know very little about the region (except for having traveled to Boston). I'd appreciate any input/assistance with how to schedule/plan our time, what the high points are to see, where to stay (prefer b&b/boutique hotels), and what to do! Would it be too much to try to squeeze in driving from Maine to Cape Cod in the time we are allotted? We don't necessarily feel we need to spend too much time in one place, unless a compelling reason is presented! As you can tell, we are clueless! Any help is appreciated in advance! Thanks!
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 08:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are picking New England because of the "fall colors", it's not really COASTAL New England that you want.

Otherwise just do a forum search for Coastal Maine or Coastal New England and several 3 day itineraries will pop up. Yes Maine and Cape Cod is too much for 3 days.
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 08:06 AM

We were just in New England about a month ago, for 7 nights and 8 days, and I agree that Maine and Cape Cod are too much for just 4 nights.

If I were you, I would choose Cape Cod or Portland, Maine. We fell in love with Portland, and also found it a convenient base for exploring a bit up and down the coast, taking a ferry ride, etc. But we also loved Cape Cod, and there is more than enough to do there for 4 days, including a day trip to Nantucket. Another advantage to Cape Cod is that you can fly in and out of Boston.

I am not familiar with northern Maine, but I think you could just as well fly in and out of Bangor and explore up there. I just don't think you have time for two areas.
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 08:22 AM

Bangor is more of the pine tree area although not a bad choice for northern explorations. Yankee Magazine thought Camden ME was one of the prettiest fall foliage locations but I think Portland is probably the best choice. Huge amount of restaurant choices. You could do a road trip to Rockland Maine for the Farnsworth Art Museum and/or Owls Head Transportation Museum (about 2 hours from Portland). Some lobster shacks are still open but weekends only until Columbus Day. There are plenty of other lobster restaurant options.
NH's White Mountains could also be a day trip but keep in mind there will be a lot of traffic.

You could also fly into Manchester NH, visit the mountains on a weekday, then head to Maine. Keep in mind that driving north on I93 is actually a nice ride once you get north of Manchester and I93 goes right thru the mountains.
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. While we'd love to see some fall foliage, that's not our main purpose for the trip. October just seemed to work out as the time this year that suited our schedules best before the winter sets in. I am going to do some research on your suggestions and may have another question or two. I appreciate all of you taking the time to respond with great information!
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 10:54 AM

Be aware that October 12 is Columbus Day, a holiday in most of New England and the weekend that people traditionally close down their summer houses and camps. School is out, and lots of people travel to see leaves.

So look at the weekend before or the weekend after or even the middle of the week!

It will be crisp for South Carolinians. Bring sweaters and coats or go to LLBean!
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 04:24 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
My Cape Cod family members teavel to Vermont to see fall colors. The coast trees are mostly scrub pines. Yes, Columbus Day is very crowded in New England with all the leaf peepers.