Itinerary for New England

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to New England area for the the first week in October (7 nights). If anyone can help out with some feedback on our rough itinerary that would be great!
We are flying in and out of Boston. My husband has already been to Boston so we don't want to focus too much time there but I have never been to the area and definitely want to get some history in. Our goals would be to have some mountain time - fall foliage and coastal time possibly Acadia (but have read a couple of posts about the fog this time of year...is it really a concern??),maybe one night in Boston and possibly Nantucket/Cape Cod if we have time. We don't mind driving as long as we are seeing the sights. This will be our first major trip with our 10 months old.

Rough Itinerary:

After flying into Boston possibly driving up the coast of Maine to Acadia (3 nights total) and then driving to NH mountains (3 nights) and ending night in Boston. If we drive up the coast of Maine will we be getting enought coast time to possibly skip Nantucket/Cape Cod or should we definetely keep this in our itinerary?
We tend to just be the kind of people that don't like to plan too much just jump in the car and see where we end the day but with this being high season and traveling with baby don't know if we would be setting ourselves up for disaster!

Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 08:57 AM

Please decide whether you want to head north or south of Boston, rather than trying to do both. 3 nights Maine, 3 NH sounds fine.

If you do not already have your hotel reservations booked, then yes you are heading into a disaster. You are arriving during the busiest tourist week of the entire year, when many places a fully booked a year in advance and most of the rest require 2 or 3 nights' minimum stay, especially over weekends.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 04:38 AM

Make reservations ASAP for 3 nights someplace in Maine (preferably north of Portland) and 3 nights in NH. To give you an idea of driving distances, you can do Portland ME to Concord NH in about 2 hours. Concord to the mountains is about 1 hour and is just a little over one hour from Boston. I would make Portsmouth NH a must stop, esp if you can enjoy a short boat trip. Reserve ahead. Park in the parking garage, the dock is within walking distance. The downtown area is fun and Prescott Park area is nice for strolling and sitting. Good place to stretch your legs.
Probably the best thing to do for NH is find a place that is comfortable. You can easily drive in different directions each day and get a good view of things. If the baby is in a back pack you might enjoy visiting the Flume. Also, there are many places that offer wagon rides and/or apple picking. Get the local newspapers when you arrive. Good luck!
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! Between Nantucket/Cape Cod or Maine Coast up to Acadia which would be the better choice? Is going all the way up to Acadia worth it which would include Portsmouth along the drive.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 05:38 PM

No disrepect intended, but I feel like I'm Emailing Mary and Joseph, in mid December......I Know the entire area well. Foliage season in northern New England is beautiful, but any decent accomodations, make that ANY accomodations, are already reserved. I would recommend the "Coast" plan. The Cape. "off season" is lovely, as is the North Shore, and many other places you can have much better luck finding nice lodging, nature and history. Trust me, since you've missed your window to plan a Northern New England foliage trip, stick to the North Shore or Cape. There wlll still be lots of nice foliage to see, and you and your little one will have great lodging and sightseeing opportunities, without the crowds.